British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry v Eastbourne Play Offs.

23 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

You would need someone who can mix it against the Eagles, i would go for Clegg or Stoneman. R/R for Jenkins. Hope Beebee is fit?

Stoneman didn't impress last night. Mildenhall have a real job on their hands sunday. If i had a choice, I'd go for Clegg.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

A walk in the park for the Eagles last night. The crowd was poor, but that was to be expected. Mildenhall have gone off the boil at the wrong time of the season, and injuries are starting to take their toll. It would be an injustice if Eastbourne won the league, but those are the rules of the game.

Injustice !!    Last year Eastbourne topped the league and lost the play off final,  in 2015 they won the play off final but that year they decided to call it the Gold Cup not the League play off and if you go back further to early 2000's they topped the Elite League but had an injury and lost the play off final to Wolves. They are long overdue a change in fortunes where the League Pennant is at stake.   However I don't think it will happen because if they make the right decisions then Mildenhall should still win. 

The talk of injustice is a very valid point as Mildenhall have been a class above everyone else for pretty much all of the season!

However the rules are fully known how it works and to bring up the team who finished top are the real champions is a futile exercise as that's been discussed to death in all the leagues! 

24 minutes ago, Hunters said:

Injustice !!    Last year Eastbourne topped the league and lost the play off final,  in 2015 they won the play off final but that year they decided to call it the Gold Cup not the League play off and if you go back further to early 2000's they topped the Elite League but had an injury and lost the play off final to Wolves. They are long overdue a change in fortunes where the League Pennant is at stake.   However I don't think it will happen because if they make the right decisions then Mildenhall should still win. 

I can't see no further than an Eastbourne win over two legs, unless the injury bug bites.

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

A walk in the park for the Eagles last night. The crowd was poor, but that was to be expected. Mildenhall have gone off the boil at the wrong time of the season, and injuries are starting to take their toll. It would be an injustice if Eastbourne won the league, but those are the rules of the game.

Would at last rectify the injustice of the first playoff in 2002 against Wolves. Neither right but as you say rules are rules whether we like them or not. ( Sorry missed Hunters post which made the same points)

Edited by gazzac

9 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Would at last rectify the injustice of the first playoff in 2002 against Wolves. Neither right but as you say rules are rules whether we like them or not. ( Sorry missed Hunters post which made the same points)

On a separate point. It was announced last night that the 2nd leg of the play off final will be staged on tuesday 30th. Why leave it so late, when the weather can be so unpredictable at this time of year.

The chopping and changing of fixtures this season have been really annoying, would have gone to the Mildenhall fixture in June and could have watched the playoff semi and final if they'd been run on the usual Saturdays, cannot unfortunately do midweek and had something preplanned this Sunday from last year. So 4 of us have missed out and Eastie have missed 4 people coming to 3 meetings. Sorry to repeat myself but run through the summer, drop the NT and get on with the league and ko cup. Fixtures completed by first week of September, no pointless league fixtures after then. Playoffs and KO cup final to start the following week, should be completed at worst by early/mid October, not 30th weather permitting. I know this should be in  the 2019 season really, but who knows where that's going with stucture etc.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

On a separate point. It was announced last night that the 2nd leg of the play off final will be staged on tuesday 30th. Why leave it so late, when the weather can be so unpredictable at this time of year.

So it’s changed again? They’re prioritising the league fixture against Mildenhall??

3 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

So it’s changed again? They’re prioritising the league fixture against Mildenhall??

The 2nd leg is at Mildy.

4 hours ago, Hunters said:

Well said that man. I saw another comment somewhere suggesting that Eastbourne should let MH have the title! I hate the idea of playoffs and always have done but if we can make them work for us just this once, after 18 years of hurt, I will take it.

We have got to do it first and I am not sure it will be that easy at all!

Despite the score line there was some good speedway last night. I thought Connor Mountain deserved more, he certainly is a racer, shame his team mates weren't on the pace.

Fabulous performance from Charlie Brooks and nice to see Baseby team riding him for the wins. Usual sublime riding from Brennan and Wood.

Brennan and Wood both need to move on to the next level and are both more than capable of making a success of it IMO

The structure needs to be moulded to assist this type of rider 

2 hours ago, woofers said:

Despite the score line there was some good speedway last night. I thought Connor Mountain deserved more, he certainly is a racer, shame his team mates weren't on the pace.

Fabulous performance from Charlie Brooks and nice to see Baseby team riding him for the wins. Usual sublime riding from Brennan and Wood.

Brennan also team rode Brooks - great to see considering their age.

I must say that Turnball decision to exclude Mark Baseby was a dreadful decision especially when mountain came round to tell Baseby that he was sorry after the race! To then award it after they had only just entered lap 2!!