British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry v Eastbourne Play Offs.

bees_eastbourne.jpg
COVENTRY know a fast start is essential if they are to pull off an incredible comeback in the National League play-offs on Saturday.

TheEuropress Bees host Eastbourne at Leicester (6.30pm start) in the second leg of their semi-final, trailing by 30 points after a tough night at Arlington on Wednesday.

They now need to exceed their biggest score of the season so far, but they have previously hit the 59-point mark three times at home in league matches.

Both sides are at full strength with Jon Armstrong, Danny Phillips and Ryan MacDonald all returning for the Bees, whilst Ethan Spiller is available for the Eagles.

Coventry manager Martyn Macdonald said: “I’m sure when the first bloke got to the foot of Everest he thought there was a massive mountain to climb, and that they’d never be able to do it!

“But it’s a funny old game, and although the tie is 50 per cent over there’s still 50 per cent to go, and it’s been proved in the last few weeks elsewhere that teams can come back from a massive deficit and win.

“Obviously the first five heats or so on Saturday are crucial, and we’ve got to get going with some 5-1s immediately to put them under some pressure.

“We didn’t ride well on Wednesday, and they were just too good on the night. Everywhere they put a bike on the track they seemed to go forward compared to us,
and obviously, the 19 points from Charlie Brooks at reserve made a huge difference. 

“Fair play to the kid, he wasn’t scared to go anywhere on the track, he was up under the air-fence at times and it’s no wonder he scored the points he did. I’m sure he’ll remember that meeting forever.

“But I thought about it afterwards and really we did no worse there than Mildenhall a few days earlier, and they’ve been head and shoulders above everyone all season, although I do suspect Mildenhall probably rode better than us.

“Every one of 
our riders were trying, though, and I couldn’t fault Nathan Stonenman as a guest getting stuck in. You get nights like that sometimes, and now we need to see if we can turn it around and even if not, still finish on a high.”

Supporters are reminded that Saturday’s meeting starts at 6.30pm and a free racecard is available on admission.

COVENTRY: Connor Mountain, Luke Harris, Danny Phillips, Luke Ruddick, Jon Armstrong, Jamie Halder, Ryan MacDonald.
EASTBOURNE: Georgie Wood, Jason Edwards, Mark Baseby, Ethan Spiller, Tom Brennan, Charley Powell, Charlie Brooks.

5 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

I must say that Turnball decision to exclude Mark Baseby was a dreadful decision especially when mountain came round to tell Baseby that he was sorry after the race! To then award it after they had only just entered lap 2!!

1 hour ago, Mike.Butler said:

it was right in front of me. there was no contact. Baseby fell and was rightly excluded IMV.

I tend to agree with Mike. 

Mountain made a fast move up the inside, a move at that point of the track we seldom see in the NL, which I believe took Baseby by surprise, he still had a lot of room around the outside of 1&2 and has chosen to go out there many times.

I thought they had completed 2 laps and were entering the 3rd? In which case the award was in accordance with rule 15.5.2.

Edited by woofers

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

Well we will have to wait and see the video 

Who'd want to watch a video of that meeting. It was instantly forgettable, apart from charlie brooks heroics and wood's ride from a handicap in heat 15.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Who'd want to watch a video of that meeting. It was instantly forgettable, apart from charlie brooks heroics and wood's ride from a handicap in heat 15.

Me because I support the sport and the associated business’ with it. 

3 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

Me because I support the sport and the associated business’ with it. 

I hope you enjoy it, once was enough for me.

• Like 1

Presumably that's the end of the Bees, for the time being anyway. They didn't exactly go out in a blaze of glory losing the match 40-50 but there was some good racing and the crowd looked better than previous matches. Thank you to Mick Horton for keeping the name alive in 2018, all the riders and everyone else connected to the club. Congratulations to Eastbourne and good luck in the final. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gemini said:

Presumably that's the end of the Bees, for the time being anyway. They didn't exactly go out in a blaze of glory losing the match 40-50 but there was some good racing and the crowd looked better than previous matches. Thank you to Mick Horton for keeping the name alive in 2018, all the riders and everyone else connected to the club. Congratulations to Eastbourne and good luck in the final. 

Thats more like it ,   don't get too despondent though , we''ll be back at Brandon or in the new stadium before you know it , I know mick Horton has given keeping the Bees alive his best shot , and despite all the predictions that they would'nt see the season through ,  he put his money where his mouth is and kept the Bees afloat , but sadly it seems he's had to concede that running at leicester is not going to work , time now to hand the reigns over to those think they know better and can see a bees team  at brandon or elsewhere !! pigs did fly once when Pink Floyd played together after 28 years , but dont hold your breath that they are at the end of the runway ready for another take off ..

• Like 1

I keep being told to 'keep the faith' but how things are with Speedway at the moment I can't see anyone being in a rush to take over,  making Brandon usable again , or a new stadium being built.  Pessimistic or realistic take your pick but as far as I'm concerned it's the end and I've just got some happy memories to look back on. 

12 hours ago, Gemini said:

I keep being told to 'keep the faith' but how things are with Speedway at the moment I can't see anyone being in a rush to take over,  making Brandon usable again , or a new stadium being built.  Pessimistic or realistic take your pick but as far as I'm concerned it's the end and I've just got some happy memories to look back on. 

And if it works out that way you can say you were there for the final Bees match :)  I think you're probably right.  I'm  pleased I got back involved this year, I've enjoyed the Sundays with the family and if that's goodbye its finished on a happier note for me x

• Like 1

Gutted i missed the last meeting. Although doubtful I wouldn't rule us out completely from running in 2019.

• Like 1