British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Vs Someset Play off semi Final 2nd Leg 01/10/18

8 minutes ago, Grachan said:

A fabulous finish to what could have been a disaster after the delays at the beginning. I was rooting for Somerset, so was disappointed that they lost out - but what away to finish, with the move from Bomber. I thing Doyle was looking round too much in that race. Had he kept his head down and just gone for the win I think he would have won it.

The Rebels were disadvantaged big time by Holder getting wiped out. Although both riders were injured, Holder was the innocent party in the crash. Plus he missed all his rides, but Somerset couldn't use Doyle as a replacement.

It reminded me a bit of Swindon last year, with the side struggling in the middle heats due to the long gaps between Doyle's races.

Doyle's exclusion could have gone either way really. No doubt he laid the bike down, but the start itself could be called unsatisfactory as the riders did bump. No argument either way, really.

Now that Somerset are out, I would like to see Poole win the final - mainly because there is no centre green at King's Lynn and I find that SO annoying.

Dissapointed I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer and missed it . Bomber is something special in playoffs at Poole

8 minutes ago, adonis said:

how many of his crashes have been caused by another rider  ?

the most obvious one which was an accident and I’m not digging him out is when Harris threw his bike clear in Melbourne Grand Prix leaving Doyle no where to go and he suffered an horrific injury. That’s what happens with 4 riders entering a corner and that’s my point no one goes into a race wanting to injure a rider or to get injured. They want to win a race. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ray c said:

Not quite the same Somerset was a rider down already 

And your a poole fan ? Nobody likes to see anybody get injured, but its the same for both. They pulled a fast one bringing Howorth, what  you say to that Poole fan....

Edited by Starman2006

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

And your a poole fan ? Nobody likes to see anybody get injured, but its the same for both. They pulled a fast one bringing Howorth, what  you say to that Poole fan....

It wasn't the same for both. Somerset missed out on 4/5 Holder rides, Poole missed out on 3/4 from Kurtz, as he had one ride (his exclusion). That one extra ride may well have seen Somerset through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

All if, buts and maybe’s. End of the day both teams affected by losing a rider. Both teams picked up 7 points from irr. So no advantage gained by either side in the meeting.

The winner was Kings Lynn because whichever team progressed last night they will be weaker in the final because of it. 

But what a night. Just great speedway in front of a very big crowd. Will be packed next week to the rafters. 

Of course there was an advantage gained by Poole

Yes both teams lost a rider but Somerset went down to 5 riders and Poole down to 6.

This meant Somersets reserves having 7 rides each...............something that tired them both out  as in 5 heats in a row they both filled last places.  It also meant Somerset tracking only 3 riders in heat 13.

No advantage was gained in the scoring but gained quite clearly in the fact the reserves were over worked and going into a race with 3 riders

Poole deserved the win no doubts at all and that was a great ride form Harris though Doyle kept looking back and the error he made out of turn two allowed Harris the chance which he took, but you cannot say that Somerset werent unlucky

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

You may make some valid points but how is Howarth being poor bad luck? Riders riding poor is not bad luck .

There is no guarantee Holder would of outscored Kurtz had they both completed their rides . 

R/R for Summers scored more than he has managed at Poole this season. 

Sadly both teams lost their second heatleaders , Somerset went into a big lead and a Harris inspired Poole clawed them back and done the buisness. End of.

R/R for Summers did get more but Howarth got less than BWD so that evens out.

As i said forget the scoring of Kurtz and Holder as we will never know how that would have gone, but the crash did happen and as ive said above it had an impact on reserves being overused and having only 1 rider in heat 13.

If you read through my posts ive congratulated Poole but you must realise that that crash helped Poole more than Somerset

Both semi finals have been decided by injury, hope the final isnt

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Special mention to Nicolai Klindt. Ridiculed by Gavan on here who came on to gloat just a couple of days ago, the guy was superb last night.  

Since coming into the team he has been rock solid and last night was the unsung hero. He was robbed by the ref in heat 15 but in all his rides he battled hard and never gave up. Well done that man. 

Just for once how about reading my post rather than twisting what i wrote as usual

I didnt ridicule Klindt, i said he scored zero for Workington at Edinburgh and were Poole fans concerned. I didnt ridicule him one bit. Funnily enough the decent Poole fans actually replied and had a good discussion

Klindt has been fantastic for Poole this season and was robbed in the first staging of heat 15 i agree.

Why you feel the need to twist peoples words is beyond me

I watched the match last night and then read this thread this morning and it's almost as entertaining as the speedway last night... Thanks everybody

1 minute ago, Gavan said:

Of course there was an advantage gained by Poole

Yes both teams lost a rider but Somerset went down to 5 riders and Poole down to 6.

This meant Somersets reserves having 7 rides each...............something that tired them both out  as in 5 heats in a row they both filled last places.  It also meant Somerset tracking only 3 riders in heat 13.

No advantage was gained in the scoring but gained quite clearly in the fact the reserves were over worked and going into a race with 3 riders

Poole deserved the win no doubts at all and that was a great ride form Harris though Doyle kept looking back and the error he made out of turn two allowed Harris the chance which he took, but you cannot say that Somerset werent unlucky

R/R for Summers did get more but Howarth got less than BWD so that evens out.

As i said forget the scoring of Kurtz and Holder as we will never know how that would have gone, but the crash did happen and as ive said above it had an impact on reserves being overused and having only 1 rider in heat 13.

If you read through my posts ive congratulated Poole but you must realise that that crash helped Poole more than Somerset

Both semi finals have been decided by injury, hope the final isnt

Just for once how about reading my post rather than twisting what i wrote as usual

I didnt ridicule Klindt, i said he scored zero for Workington at Edinburgh and were Poole fans concerned. I didnt ridicule him one bit. Funnily enough the decent Poole fans actually replied and had a good discussion

Klindt has been fantastic for Poole this season and was robbed in the first staging of heat 15 i agree.

Why you feel the need to twist peoples words is beyond me

Reserves quite often take 7 rides as well in meetings, infact very often if their in any sort of form. Allen had three ducks on the bounce after 3 rides - youd have to seriously question his fitness if he was worn out after just three rides.

10 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

It was not the same for both as Somerset went down to 5 riders causing the reserves to have far more rides and going with only 1 rider in 1 heat. Poole went down to 6 riders.

The injuries were unfortunate and nobody wanted that but to say it was the same for both sides is clearly wrong.

What race did Poole go with only 3 riders?

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It wasn't the same for both. Somerset missed out on 4/5 Holder rides, Poole missed out on 3/4 from Kurtz, as he had one ride (his exclusion). That one extra ride may well have seen Somerset through.

Spot on

Nobody is saying Poole dont deserve to go through.......just the fact they have had the rub of the green and the accident affected Somerset more.

Just a shame that the odd one or two think its all anti Poole garbage again. The decent Poole fans know they had the luck on their side and thats the way it goes.

Fact is Poole done the hard work in the first leg so on balance may have deserved to go through

Just now, Pinny said:

Reserves quite often take 7 rides as well in meetings, infact very often if their in any sort of form. Allen had three ducks on the bounce after 3 rides - youd have to seriously question his fitness if he was worn out after just three rides.

Normal Jake Allen form. Starts like a train before hitting the buffers. Seen it many times.

1 minute ago, Pinny said:

I know that but not usually both reserves, Somerset ran out of options

Think what happened to Holder last night and the Bewlay situation shows the weakness of not being Allowed a guest  for second string and having to use R/r( not that I am a fan of guests) espiecially for injuries.Can see the point for missing riders but not injuries.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think what happened to Holder last night and the Bewlay situation shows the weakness of not being Allowed a guest  for second string and having to use R/r( not that I am a fan of guests) espiecially for injuries.Can see the point for missing riders but not injuries.

I think the rules are right. Guests for heat leaders, r/r for second strings.

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I think the rules are right. Guests for heat leaders, r/r for second strings.

Why allow a guest for a reserve then?

Another classic Chris Harris moment, he's always had his critics but he is a legend of British speedway and hopefully has many years ahead of him still.

Think Somerset would have won with Holder but unfortunately these things happen. Should always have a number 8 available when using R/R, they could have given him the ride in heat 10 against Harris and Grajczonek and had either Allen or Covatti in heat 13 or saved Covatti for 15.

Congrats to Poole, hope they win in the final

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Why allow a guest for a reserve then?

How will that work then only one rider in heat two for a start  ?