British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BobC

Alarm bells at Plymouth?

2 hours ago, JCookie said:

The NL should be a development league and nothing else. The fact that there's around 50 points between top and bottom just says it all. The likes of Mildenhall, Kent & Birmingham have no place in what should be a development league 

Who decides whether the National League should be a development league and nothing else ?  Clearly JCookie does not support or go to watch N.L. racing.   At ANY level

there will always be teams at the top and teams at the bottom. Every N.L. club is a business just like those at a higher level. Does Jcookie think that all the investment made

and work done will be worth it to see very low standards ? He is deluded...in fact, the higher the standard of the 3rd tier, the better class of rider will be produced. THAT is a 

FACT and it is ignored by the BSPA who seem not to understand the sport they operate. Way back in history ( can't quite remember the actual date) the 2nd league broke away from

the Control Board and ran, I think, very successfully.  I can see the same thing happening again with the N.L. breaking away from the BSPA. And who could blame them ?

• Like 2

The NL IS developing riders whilst also being a competitive league that people want to pay money for to watch. Look at Bewley, Bickley, Kemp, Edwards, Jenkins, Atkins, Mountain, Hume, Shanes, Bacon, Bowtell, Thomas, Stoneman, Brennan, Wood etc and all these riders have successfully made the step up or are very close to it. Ripping apart this league and making it full of sides like that Scunthorpe Stags team recently is not going to get fans to turn up and watch them and not going to prepare these riders for the step up!

• Like 5

Nothing wrong with Mildenhalls 2018 team, they just struck it very lucky having so much YOUNG up & coming talent in one hit. With the existing rules they will have to say bye bye to several of their gifted team, possibly to the benefit of the opposition!    

• Like 1

of course people like jcookie has that opinion . if i followed ipswich for example i'd love to have mildenhall as a nursery club so they could develope 15 yr olds for a year so we could acquire  them for nothing when they are 16 with no effort , financial or time wise . trouble is times have moved on since the sprockets ,mavericks , pumas , tiger cubs , spitfires and many more graced our tracks. we now have the youth championships and 3 development leagues for that very purpose . the last team to put a real development side together was scunthorpe which lasted 1 year because they were getting slaughered home and away and opposing promoters were complaining that they were having to pay their riders too much money. another fact is to look at all the teams in the N.L . only belle vue , kent and buxton are there by choice. all the rest are there because it was a straight choice between 3rd tier or oblivion . as i see it this same old self-benefiting rubish is going to keep coming back so for me the first thing to vote on at the agm is to change the name and just drop the development tag from the title , it was good enough for the top 2 leagues so it's good enough for us. 

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Survival of the fittest is the new BSPA master plan, and sod the rest.

Always has been their way out of trouble,trouble is there is a big injury list these days and still growing.

If those at the top of the pile want big money when they force clubs up - it is (as others have rightly noted) time for the NL to declare UDI.

Some of you will be old enough to remember the "black" Provincial League on the early 60s. Same move again?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

If those at the top of the pile want big money when they force clubs up - it is (as others have rightly noted) time for the NL to declare UDI.

Some of you will be old enough to remember the "black" Provincial League on the early 60s. Same move again?

i remebr back in the 80s  when the national league  was seperate ,ran it's own competitions  and had it's own race format .  it was running along nice and succesfully ,but of course that wasn't going to last , as soon as the British league saw the goose that laid the golden egg ,they wanted a cut  ,so Division 1 and division 2 ,   and all pissing in the same pot again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adonis said:

i remebr back in the 80s  when the national league  was seperate ,ran it's own competitions  and had it's own race format .  it was running along nice and succesfully ,but of course that wasn't going to last , as soon as the British league saw the goose that laid the golden egg ,they wanted a cut  ,so Division 1 and division 2 ,   and all pissing in the same pot again

Yes, I remember that too. Just hope NL promoters don't allow themselves to be done over this time

6 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Yes, I remember that too. Just hope NL promoters don't allow themselves to be done over this time

Problem with breaking away is ,  the Bspa are bullies , they will htreaten sanctions on any clubs who are outside their clutches , I would imagine some teams  would say we'll do it anyway ,but then the BSPA will start threatening riders and they won't dare risk a possible future career in  BSPA cuckooland by ridng in the black league

8 hours ago, JCookie said:

The NL should be a development league and nothing else. The fact that there's around 50 points between top and bottom just says it all. The likes of Mildenhall, Kent & Birmingham have no place in what should be a development league 

Funny that when trying to promote a major event the third tiers rider championship is marketed as the NLRC not the NDLRC!!! The only time the development tag is used is when higher league clubs want a cheap or free signing.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Who decides whether the National League should be a development league and nothing else ?  Clearly JCookie does not support or go to watch N.L. racing.   At ANY level

there will always be teams at the top and teams at the bottom. Every N.L. club is a business just like those at a higher level. Does Jcookie think that all the investment made

and work done will be worth it to see very low standards ? He is deluded...in fact, the higher the standard of the 3rd tier, the better class of rider will be produced. THAT is a 

FACT and it is ignored by the BSPA who seem not to understand the sport they operate. Way back in history ( can't quite remember the actual date) the 2nd league broke away from

the Control Board and ran, I think, very successfully.  I can see the same thing happening again with the N.L. breaking away from the BSPA. And who could blame them ?

I think it was about 1960 when the Provincial League was formed and ran very successfully and I believe about 1965 they were invited back into the Fold because the other league was Foundering and down to a Few Teams.

2 hours ago, griffo said:

I think it was about 1960 when the Provincial League was formed and ran very successfully and I believe about 1965 they were invited back into the Fold because the other league was Foundering and down to a Few Teams.

But that is a world away from 2018 when you have riders in the NL with equipment that isn’t out of place in the PL!

Went to Kent onMonday and paid £16 including programme likewise at Eastbourne.

Its way over priced for a low standard of speedway I’m afraid.

• Like 1

It's certainly no Development League when you see some of the riders still hanging about in it.Bet hey are not riding for peanuts,that's why admission money is so high. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It's certainly no Development League when you see some of the riders still hanging about in it.Bet hey are not riding for peanuts,that's why admission money is so high. 

I am not quite sure how you can say that with Kemp, Bebee, Marson, Jenkins, Rowe, Bickley, Dicken, Woodhull, Pavitt, Flint, Atkins, Edwards, Brennan etc riding in it.  All of these are in their first or second season at that level. Even the likes of Bowtell, Shanes, Morley, Hume, Bacon, Wood, Verge, Stoneman, Bailey, Smith, Mountain and Perks could be given the tag of developing. 

There are older riders in the league, but Jon Armstrong's reputation as a mentor is well known and of significant benefit - ask anyone. 

The league has to come to a balance between developing riders and ensuring that the product is attractive to the public, because a team full of novices most certainly is not - that's nothing more than a glorified training session.  

I think for the most part the NL hits it bang on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1