British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BobC

Alarm bells at Plymouth?

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I am not quite sure how you can say that with Kemp, Bebee, Marson, Jenkins, Rowe, Bickley, Dicken, Woodhull, Pavitt, Flint, Atkins, Edwards, Brennan etc riding in it.  All of these are in their first or second season at that level. Even the likes of Bowtell, Shanes, Morley, Hume, Bacon, Wood, Verge, Stoneman, Bailey, Smith, Mountain and Perks could be given the tag of developing. 

There are older riders in the league, but Jon Armstrong's reputation as a mentor is well known and of significant benefit - ask anyone. 

The league has to come to a balance between developing riders and ensuring that the product is attractive to the public, because a team full of novices most certainly is not - that's nothing more than a glorified training session.  

I think for the most part the NL hits it bang on.

Agree,there is is some cracking talent coming through,what kind of money are they on at present?,then you have Roynon ,Clegg,Cockle,Bowen,Davey,Hopwood,Wilson,Shuttleworth,Atkins,Perry,Morley,Basbyall  making up the numbers and probably getting decent money which hikes up admission prices .When you look at Buxton over the years they are the one team who tried to do it right and have paid the price.

Finances will always divide opinions, some will always dispute actual amounts paid, amounts paid vs risk etc and whilst some clubs are able to run within their means and be competitive others are not.

Whether a reduction in points limit / standard is reflected in admission prices remains to be seen? Again opinions will be divided but i don't feel the value for money is there enough to turn out every week and i now pick and choose my meetings and am certain im not the only one.

Looking more likely only two leagues next season. What happens to those tracks that can't afford the step up.

40 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Looking more likely only two leagues next season. What happens to those tracks that can't afford the step up.

I think the consensus is not many any under the current system. But with more clubs in the higher league the quality will inevitably be slightly lower, hopefully reducing costs. I really hope for a 2 foreign rider rule too, so it's young Brits that benefit from the changes rather then a string of overseas riders.

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

I think the consensus is not many any under the current system. But with more clubs in the higher league the quality will inevitably be slightly lower, hopefully reducing costs. I really hope for a 2 foreign rider rule too, so it's young Brits that benefit from the changes rather then a string of overseas riders.

Slightly lower won't be enough for the likes of Buxton and Stoke.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Slightly lower won't be enough for the likes of Buxton and Stoke.

It’s not the standard of rider that’s the problem it’s how much the standard of rider is paid 

• Like 1

Even if the second and third tier meet in the middle, it's still going to mean a big financial outlay for the NL clubs. I'll believe it when I see it.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:48 AM, Fromafar said:

Agree,there is is some cracking talent coming through,what kind of money are they on at present?,then you have Roynon ,Clegg,Cockle,Bowen,Davey,Hopwood,Wilson,Shuttleworth,Atkins,Perry,Morley,Basbyall  making up the numbers and probably getting decent money which hikes up admission prices .When you look at Buxton over the years they are the one team who tried to do it right and have paid the price.

What are those guys supposed to do though when the league system forces them out higher up? Clegg has been dropped 3 times this season higher up and Perry, Davey, Hopwood & Roynon couldn’t find a team! If there were more opportunities for these riders to step up, without being unceremoniously dropped, then maybe they wouldn’t need the NL as a fall back. But the standard of reserve in the Championship is so high that they understandably struggle and know that it’s against the current norm if they last the season. None of that is the NL’s problem. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Islander15 said:

What are those guys supposed to do though when the league system forces them out higher up? Clegg has been dropped 3 times this season higher up and Perry, Davey, Hopwood & Roynon couldn’t find a team! If there were more opportunities for these riders to step up, without being unceremoniously dropped, then maybe they wouldn’t need the NL as a fall back. But the standard of reserve in the Championship is so high that they understandably struggle and know that it’s against the current norm if they last the season. None of that is the NL’s problem. 

I not saying they should they shouldn't be riding in NL the concern would be can the league afford them.Ive no idea what money they will be on ,but sure it's not peanuts.There was talk of £10 / pt years ago,they certainly won't be riding for that( the majority).what are crowd levels at NL tracks?

17 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Even if the second and third tier meet in the middle, it's still going to mean a big financial outlay for the NL clubs. I'll believe it when I see it.

Me too, although that's what I have heard. Go up or go down, basically.

Most of the existing NL clubs cannot afford to do either.

• Like 1