British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

King's Lynn v Belle Vue; Play-Off. semi final 2nd leg

Its hard to imagine the difference a year can make to a speedway club.    Where 2017 was a year to forget, 2018 has seen a complete turnaround, where the fans have been treated to some fantastic racing.   With this never say die attitude' we are safely through to the KO cup final and here is the second leg of the play-off's......

Having done an unbelievable recovery  job  at the NSS, we now have the chance to compete for the league and cup double .    This second leg is as important as the first and will be approached in the same way, They say ' its not over till the fat lady sings',  but we have to be confident with an 8point advantage...

We have been waiting for this a long time.....   

Agree with you webby and when Dale says this team fights to the end you now have to believe him 100%. I was fortunate to be there on Monday and it was an unbelievable come back.

It would be an almighty shock if we don’t manage to make the final now but you never know and it’s not over till it’s over. I think for Belle Vue to do that they need to hit us hard early on but to do that they will need an outstanding reserve something that they don’t really possess. I can’t see Berge scoring 18 points like MPT did at the NSS. Could be close on the night but I think we will run out winners by round about 10 points.

• Like 1

Have always had a soft spot for Belle Vue,   and whenever we have failed, my second thoughts are always directed to them hoping they will succeed.   Even this year, I had hoped if we cant win it then I hope they do.   So it is with a heavy heart I say,  they have a mountain to climb.    Even without their bad luck and with a full team,   to come here for the 2nd leg 8 points adrift they would find it hard to overcome.   To do so with a scratch team, they  will take a minor miracle.         I know they will try 100%   and give it their all,   but it would need the Stars to have all the bad luck in the world to lose this one.        I'll go for   52-38   home  win      

15 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Have always had a soft spot for Belle Vue,   and whenever we have failed, my second thoughts are always directed to them hoping they will succeed.   Even this year, I had hoped if we cant win it then I hope they do.   So it is with a heavy heart I say,  they have a mountain to climb.    Even without their bad luck and with a full team,   to come here for the 2nd leg 8 points adrift they would find it hard to overcome.   To do so with a scratch team, they  will take a minor miracle.         I know they will try 100%   and give it their all,   but it would need the Stars to have all the bad luck in the world to lose this one.        I'll go for   52-38   home  win      

I don't disagree with that assessment but I won't give up hope until it's impossible for us to win. Injuries are part of the sport and we have to accept it. 

I can think of where we might be if Worrall hadn't been injured before the first league match and if Bewley and now Cook had not been injured but having said that I am pleased that we have achieved what we have despite those injuries and other adversities.

I said before the semi finals that if we didn't get through that I hoped that King's Lynn would win the play offs, not for their management, for whom I have little regard but for their fans.

• Like 1

I don’t think the management are poor, but they do seem to rub fans of other teams up the wrong way.  I’m sure it’s little more than water off a ducks back to them. 

12 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

If the Managemnt is so poor why do so many riders want to ride for them each season ?

They need a job.

What is annoying about the injuries to Dan ,Steve and Cookie is that they got hurt when not riding for Belle Vue.Despite the injury problems it's been a good season for BV.We would have needed all seven riders fully fit to have had any chance in the play offs.After topping the league Kings Lynn would be worthy winners imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Scrutton said:

If the Managemnt is so poor why do so many riders want to ride for them each season ?

Probably the NSS track and I for one don’t think the management are poor. 

12 minutes ago, ouch said:

Probably the NSS track and I for one don’t think the management are poor. 

You've got the wrong end of the stick, they're talking about the Stars management.

33 minutes ago, colin wood said:

What is annoying about the injuries to Dan ,Steve and Cookie is that they got hurt when not riding for Belle Vue.Despite the injury problems it's been a good season for BV.We would have needed all seven riders fully fit to have had any chance in the play offs.After topping the league Kings Lynn would be worthy winners imo.

When looking at the teams when they were first announced,    apart from Poole, I thought Belle Vue  had an impressive team capable of pushing for the title.   the injury to Worrall, who had stated the season on fire,  had an immediate effect  on results.   They continue to hold their own until Bewley accident.    I appreciate Worrall was back riding,  but was only a shadow of the rider that started the season.    It appeared all the cards were against you..    

This season hasn't been all plain sailing for the Stars.  Of the original 7 riders  we have retained most of them,   and were forced to employ cover for those who pulled out or were injured.   MPT for Rose was an obvious replacement,  he has been connected with Kings Lynn for many years .    When Kerr got injured, we were struggling to find an adequate  replacement,  Simon came as a 28 day replacement when Andersen got injured,   but the stroke of genius came when we collared Erik Riss  to replace Kerr.   By incorporating him into the team, it enabled MPT to move down to reserve and retain the services of Simon Lambert.     From that point on we have been on a roll.        Cant remember a season when everything has falling into place  like it has.....   

Long may it continue...….

4 hours ago, Clive Ward said:

Agree with you webby and when Dale says this team (1) fights to the end you now have to believe him 100%. I was fortunate to be there on Monday and it was an unbelievable come back.

It would be an almighty shock if we don’t manage to make the final now but you never know and it’s not over till it’s over. I think for Belle Vue to do that they need to hit us hard early on but to do that (2) they will need an outstanding reserve something that they don’t really possess. I can’t see Berge scoring 18 points like MPT did at the NSS. Could be close on the night but I think we will run out winners by round about 10 points.

(1).....literally in some cases!!

(2) IMHO that sums it up perfectly. MPT really seems to enjoy Manchester. As well as his exploits at the NSS, he had a very good home season with the Aces at Kirky Lane Greyhound Stadium. 

3 minutes ago, g13webb said:

When looking at the teams when they were first announced,    apart from Poole, I thought Belle Vue  had an impressive team capable of pushing for the title.   the injury to Worrall, who had stated the season on fire,  had an immediate effect  on results.   They continue to hold their own until Bewley accident.    I appreciate Worrall was back riding,  but was only a shadow of the rider that started the season.    It appeared all the cards were against you..    

This season hasn't been all plain sailing for the Stars.  Of the original 7 riders  we have retained most of them,   and were forced to employ cover for those who pulled out or were injured.   MPT for Rose was an obvious replacement,  he has been connected with Kings Lynn for many years .    When Kerr got injured, we were struggling to find an adequate  replacement,  Simon came as a 28 day replacement when Andersen got injured,   but the stroke of genius came when we collared Erik Riss  to replace Kerr.   By incorporating him into the team, it enabled MPT to move down to reserve and retain the services of Simon Lambert.     From that point on we have been on a roll.        Cant remember a season when everything has falling into place  like it has.....   

Long may it continue...….

The move to sign Erik and then have MPT at reserve has to be the 'team change' of the season.

Ironically - given the injury facts you stated in the first paragraph which have 'ruined' the Aces season - would the Stars be where they are now had Kerr NOT got injured?

If Stars go onto win the title then it has all worked out for you - and, despite our woes with injuries at the NSS, its all part and parcel of speedway and would we want it any other way? (of course, we don't want to see any rider actually getting hurt but, unfortunately, it is that very thing that produces many team changes and the way things then pan out).

Whilst there are still 15 heats of the semi-final to ride, I suppose we should always cling onto hope? But, if the Aces can't become champions, then I hope it is finally the Stars turn. I was a regular attender at Saddlebow Road during the Betts / Simmons / Cole / Lee era through the 70s before I moved to the Manchester area, and so the Stars were once upon a time my 'top flight' club. It would then be good to see the yellow and green (as they were back then and I reckon still should be) as champions!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

You've got the wrong end of the stick, they're talking about the Stars management.

That never even occurred to me.