British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

King's Lynn v Belle Vue; Play-Off. semi final 2nd leg

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

You may be thinking of the league title going to the very last meeting at Eastbourne in 2000 which we lost. We lost in the EL Play Off semis to Poole in 2012 & 2014 and won the second division Play Offs in 2006 & 2009.

Yes it's the Eastbourne meeting I remember.  So this would be KL first top flight title then, so history beckons.

• Like 1

Correction, it was 2011 we reached the Play Off semis, not 2012.

7 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Frankly, I don't care a monkey's about the racing at this stage. It is all about winning.

The only thing I am interested in is that the Stars have made the Play-Off finals for the first time.

There has been a lot of pain being a Stars supporter since 1965.

I will cheer my head off if they gate and go and win the top flight for the first time.

My thoughts entirely. The presence of the cameras stops the flow of the meeting too which is a shame but expected. 

• Like 1

Congratulations to everyone involved at the club on making the final as others have said job done can’t ask for more than that though as other have said as a spectacle the racing was dross poor racing on what was once the best race track in the country, as for the final will depend on the 1st leg scorline if I make a speedway comeback for the 2nd leg or watch on tv . 

Good crowd last night,Buster should be happy. Good performance from the Stars despite Iversen having problems. But as a spectacle the meeting was dire. No passing,and l lost interest after heat 1 . Belle Vue were poor and apart from Musielak offered very little resistance.

As  I predicted, this was an comfortable victory,  achieved with an out of sorts evening from Niels.  Still feel there was plenty in reserve had it been necessary.  Robert was as majestic as ever, ably backed by a solid team.   Belle Vue were poor and offered little resistants'  only their guests coming to the party.  The outcome of this semi-final was all but decided last week.

The actual racing was poor with most results sorted by the back straight.   I feel sorry for Buster as I thought the smooth track had been prepared pretty neutral and fair to both teams.   The biggest problem these days are the bikes, they are far to fast to offer any chance from behind.   Only the top riders  like Lambert are prepared to take the chance.   

The meeting itself was enjoyed. A decent crowd saw the races flowing as it should, this was down to no small part of the problems at Poole that allowed Lynn to run without any hold-ups..  Cant help feeling sorry for Somerset for losing out as they did, but when the gods are against you, you can never win.   Personally I wanted the Stars to meet Poole in the final and am pleased we have this opportunity to win our first championship against the league biggest rivals.. .     When listening to others,  I feel I'm in the minority when I say we are capable of beating them and feel quietly confident  of  putting our name on the trophy for the first time...   

All we need is a fair rub of the green in the first leg  and  we will be set up for a sensational final victory....         This is our time !  !  !   

• Like 1

The track won’t be changed now as we have a great chance to win the title but next year something has to alter as the racing is far worse than the circuit is capable of producing. If it has to be the stock car friendly shale then let’s have less of it, slicker conditions usually means better racing with the dirt Buster uses. 

Well done Kings Lynn well deserved win you battered us and good luck in the final.

But I must say having now watch a meeting at Lynn I now understand why this thread is full of moans and complaints about the racing there the track is truly awful.

28 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

Well done Kings Lynn well deserved win you battered us and good luck in the final.

But I must say having now watch a meeting at Lynn I now understand why this thread is full of moans and complaints about the racing there the track is truly awful.

I don't get that bit at all.      Here at Lynn,  the track is big, smooth, fast  with wide spaces for ample overtaking.     the  only issues relates to the shale that is used and the preparation of the track.      Most clubs in the UK would be over the moon to have a raceway that was as good as the one at Lynn.  

When most riders are asked, they  say AFA is one of their favourite places to ride....     so it cant be a awful track,     just that it produces processional races....     

Probably needs a few bumps and holes putting in it...:t:

42 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I don't get that bit at all.      Here at Lynn,  the track is big, smooth, fast  with wide spaces for ample overtaking.     the  only issues relates to the shale that is used and the preparation of the track.      Most clubs in the UK would be over the moon to have a raceway that was as good as the one at Lynn.  

When most riders are asked, they  say AFA is one of their favourite places to ride....     so it cant be a awful track,     just that it produces processional races....     

Probably needs a few bumps and holes putting in it...:t:

Sorry I totally disagree. Not trying to be controversial and I understand you defending your track but it’s bloody awful. Last night it was quite rough, with riders bouncing about and struggling to turn their bikes for the first few heats. Races were generally well spaced out often with 20 metres between bikes.  There is little in the way of racing lines meaning passing is rare unless you are an exceptional talent. Most races seem to be decided down the back straight of lap one.

It never used to be like this. I don’t think it has anything to do with bikes, more to do with the track prep. Far too grippy? Grippy tracks produce crap racing. Fast times but well spaced out. Make the track slick and watch the racing improve.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Sorry I totally disagree. Not trying to be controversial and I understand you defending your track but it’s bloody awful. Last night it was quite rough, with riders bouncing about and struggling to turn their bikes for the first few heats. Races were generally well spaced out often with 20 metres between bikes.  There is little in the way of racing lines meaning passing is rare unless you are an exceptional talent. Most races seem to be decided down the back straight of lap one.

It never used to be like this. I don’t think it has anything to do with bikes, more to do with the track prep. Far too grippy? Grippy tracks produce crap racing. Fast times but well spaced out. Make the track slick and watch the racing improve.

Stock car friendly dirt which is totally unsuitable for bikes. Stock cars are the cash cow at the stadium so don’t see it changing any time soon unfortunately.

A track can look a million dollars but if home riders can only pass when an away rider makes a mistake it’s not good. Needs to be much slicker next year, the track is a great shape for racing but the surface prevents it.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Stock car friendly dirt which is totally unsuitable for bikes. Stock cars are the cash cow at the stadium so don’t see it changing any time soon unfortunately.

A track can look a million dollars but if home riders can only pass when an away rider makes a mistake it’s not good. Needs to be much slicker next year, the track is a great shape for racing but the surface prevents it.

And a huge part of the problem is the fact that Buster is in total denial of the racing produced and nobody will dare challenge him over it.

The shale used and the way it's prepared will never change with Buster in charge.

Unfortunately I think you are probably right.

47 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Totally agree with todays bikes if a track is to grippy a rider gates and is gone with little or no chance of even catching him let alone pass him.

At the NSS if the track is to grippy the racing is very poor and we get gate and go speedway,eg world team cup semi the track was very grippy which led to fast but very processional racing even with the best riders in the world on show.For the final it was a lot slicker which lead to racing that was out of this world.

• Like 1

I take nothing away from Kings Lynn, they were the better team and the win was well deserved but last night was basically about gating. The fact that Garcia and Berge won races with ease when making good starts but floundered at the back when they didn't tells the story. I expected the track to be grippy to give the home side an advantage, I understand why it's done but the poor racing was the inevitable consequence. If that's what some promoters think is the best way to showcase the sport on its biggest occasions then they can hardly complain about the continuing decline in crowd numbers. It will benefit King's Lynn in the short term by being in the final but not in the long term. Only the die hards will turn up week after week to watch gate and go races. Make it slicker, the racing will improve and home riders will quickly develop a home advantage as they learn the racing lines. 

Unfortunately, the racing at Poole wasn't much better last night. It was a much more entertaining meeting because of the closeness of the overall scores and the tremendous ride by Chris Harris in heat 15 and the gaps between riders wasn't as great as it was at King's Lynn but just like King's Lynn, nearly all of the races were determined by the back straight. 

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2