British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

One Big League - Problem Solved

22 hours ago, BWitcher said:

The quality of racing has been discussed numerous times, it's no different. 

If Belle Vue was packed out every week that argument could be used... it isn't though.. and neither are any other tracks that are meant to have the best racing.

It does make a difference. Its not the be all and end all, but it does

Belle Vue might not be packed out but I have no doubt that it draws more people than it would if the racing was rubbish.

Scunthorpe is a better example. Poor gates, but doesn't bear thinking about what they would be if the speedway wasn't as good as it is. 

5 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Belle Vue might not be packed out but I have no doubt that it draws more people than it would if the racing was rubbish.

Scunthorpe is a better example. Poor gates, but doesn't bear thinking about what they would be if the speedway wasn't as good as it is. 

Yet their stockcar crowds are much bigger and subsidise the Speedway.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT sure they have seven! Was suggested that only five have committed ... Belle Vue, Kings Lynn, Poole, Swindon and Wolves

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT there are more than four or five ...

Is it me, Phil, or do these two statements contradict each other ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Often the best racing occurs when tracks are actually enjoying a less than successful season.. closer home matches, decent racing.. crowds plummet.

Wheareas a team winning easily every week with less good racing enjoys higher crowds.

The fact that your 'better example' is another team with awful gates says it all. Doesn't exactly help your argument.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT there are more than four or five ...

So who are the others? You yourself have only mentioned 4 clubs that want to maintain or better the product. So, who are these others you talk about??

)

10 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Often the best racing occurs when tracks are actually enjoying a less than successful season.. closer home matches, decent racing.. crowds plummet.

Wheareas a team winning easily every week with less good racing enjoys higher crowds.

The fact that your 'better example' is another team with awful gates says it all. Doesn't exactly help your argument.

That is to a point true.  I say to a point because results affect only home supporters (and I seem to remember there being an old saying 'happiness is 40-38' ) not those who just go for the speedway (and at Scunthorpe that's a fair few).

But you seem - and I reiterate seem - to be saying is that the quality of the speedway is irrelevant simply because Belle Vue isn't packed every week, or because Scunthorpe's gates are poor.

What I am saying - and I am certain of this - is that the gates at both tracks would be worse if the racing isn't as good as it is. 

As such, the quality of the speedway does affect attendances. Not perhaps to the extent that some people might believe, but it does.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Is it me, Phil, or do these two statements contradict each other ? 

IT is a fluid situation... think Somerset make it six now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT is a fluid situation... think Somerset make it six now.

So the top league is gonna be thrilling :blink:

17 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Yes, lots of exciting guests booked already.

17 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Each team rides against each other twice at home, good luck to them, and can they afford to last the season?

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

Each team rides against each other twice at home, good luck to them, and can they afford to last the season?

Twice, more like 3 home 3 away, ko cup as well with top 4 Play-Offs. So that's facing some teams up to 6 times in a season.

Thrilling stuff :blink:

39 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Twice, more like 3 home 3 away, ko cup as well with top 4 Play-Offs. So that's facing some teams up to 6 times in a season.

Thrilling stuff :blink:

True, wasn't thinking there.

But they will all have bumper crowds, and because of guests it will be a different team every time they ride against each other

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

True, wasn't thinking there.

But they will all have bumper crowds, and because of guests it will be a different team every time they ride against each other

In other words It'll be more of a meaningless circus and less of a sport.

• Like 1

right well lets forget Div 1 - they're fkd in that case- lets please make sure D2 does it right by having weaker (affordable) teams in a bigger, more interesting league with please please please fewer guests/ DU/DD. Bring in Birmingham, Easty and Kent at least. And make it affordable for the clubs and D2 will at least survive

On 9/27/2018 at 1:27 PM, BWitcher said:

No it isn't.

I've seen junior riders such as David Haynes, Matt Cartmell, Ade Hoole riding in the top flight in years when the league was way stronger. They simply got promoted to No 7 when required.

Ade Hoole!! That was at Leicester, wasn't it!!!