British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

One Big League - Problem Solved

It shouldn't be about what Wolves, or Poole, or Belle Vue etc. want, it should be about what's best for the sport as a whole. Again, self-interest will just see the sport continue to decline.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Shale Searcher said:

Ade Hoole!! That was at Leicester, wasn't it!!! 

Rode for Sheffield I believe.

2 hours ago, RS50 said:

That's where I remember the rider from.

22 hours ago, RS50 said:

Made 4 appearances for Wolverhampton between 1988-1990, 12 for Sheffield in 1991,  6 for Stoke n 1992 and 44 for Long Eaton in 1993.

• Thanks 1

One big league is not going to happen at least in the immediate future. The BSPA made a terrible blunder when they allowed riders to race for more than one team, and the riders will now never give up what they regard as the divine right to sign for two teams, unless they are paid substantially more in prize money - which the promoters cannot afford! Doubling-up has become a monster out of control - and a five year old child could have forseen that this would happen.

More likely I think, is the probability of Premiership clubs looking to drop down a division - and if this happens, then the top league would quickly become unviable. 

8 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

One big league is not going to happen at least in the immediate future. The BSPA made a terrible blunder when they allowed riders to race for more than one team, and the riders will now never give up what they regard as the divine right to sign for two teams, unless they are paid substantially more in prize money - which the promoters cannot afford! Doubling-up has become a monster out of control - and a five year old child could have forseen that this would happen.

More likely I think, is the probability of Premiership clubs looking to drop down a division - and if this happens, then the top league would quickly become unviable. 

.....And you'd have one league.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

So the tail is wagging the dog again

14 hours ago, foamfence said:

.....And you'd have one league.

Two ... why do fans of PL & CL teams think that the National League does not exist? It is more successful than the rest!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Two ... why do fans of PL & CL teams think that the National League does not exist? It is more successful than the rest!

I think you are being over-sensitive. It is just a quicker way of describing the idea of the PL and CL merging. If they merged, then they would merge into one big league instead of two smaller ones.

Nobody thinks the NL doesn't exist.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2018 at 12:12 PM, Grachan said:

That's where it falls down. You are diluting again, and alienating PL sides - forcing riders out.

Robson retired , nobody in theoir right mind would give Wallinger a team place in anything above NL second string

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

It isn't part of the promoters conference (it has it's own), so it isn't really part of this debate, nobody thinks it doesn't exist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foamfence said:

It isn't part of the promoters conference (it has it's own), so it isn't really part of this debate, nobody thinks it doesn't exist.

To me the NL kind of doesn't exist. Not as a true league anyway. The NL is simply a development league and should only be looked at in that fashion. 

Isle of Wight is a developing club which looks to have the ambition to step up in the next few seasons.

The way I look at the NL is a bit like Sunday league footballers. Try very hard to look professional but perform like donkeys. 

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

To me the NL kind of doesn't exist. Not as a true league anyway. The NL is simply a development league and should only be looked at in that fashion. 

Isle of Wight is a developing club which looks to have the ambition to step up in the next few seasons.

The way I look at the NL is a bit like Sunday league footballers. Try very hard to look professional but perform like donkeys. 

don't know if this is a trolling attempt but its a very unfair and inaccurate comment.

• Like 1

Clearly no idea of what the NL has tried to represent. 

Teams like Mildenhall and Eastbourne have young riders who should be moving through the sport but are probably going to be stuck in the roadblock that the CL has become due to doubling up being so extensive in this league.

Alfie Bowtell has suddenly become a high scoring reserve for Lakeside but needed patience from the team for him to develop.

Supporters of the PL and some CL think that riders appear out of nowhere and some have done little to give riders in the UK a chance. 

Its all coming home to roost now for some as affordable riders are getting thin on the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

don't know if this is a trolling attempt but its a very unfair and inaccurate comment.

Agree. Was Robert Lambert not a product of the NL? It is a shame that those who criticise have probably never ridden a speedway bike and frankly are talking out of their backside. I would like to see the scumbag in a race against any NL rider. Any rider at whatever level deserves some respect. Everyone has to start somewhere.

• Like 1