British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Edinburgh 29/09 7:00pm koc 2nd leg

Just now, topaz325 said:

Not really , probably slightly more tha the last few weeks .

The promotion must be wondering what they can ,given the season the Comets are having,although the fixture list has been a nightmare for them.

• Like 1

Great result, didn’t expect that, and all the riders had a win. I thought more in the stand tonight and more round bends 1 and 2. Fantastic night!!

14 hours ago, jenga said:

anyone remember the stuffing that Ipswich gave us a few seasons ago . ippo thought all they had to do was turn up and it was game over for us . but as the record shows , we sent them home packing and won on agg . that kind of result will do today . fingers x ed . up the monarchs, oops . i mean cornets .

7 hours ago, jenga said:

Any Man U supporters on here lol. the irons can do it , so can the wucky riders . get stuck in there .

o yee of little faith. if ANY comets fans decided not to attend, you missed the best meeting that has ever been raced at workington . from the off, worky were in charge and battled for every point going . 

the track was even set up for the monarchs team, dry as a nuns ch\\f . 

worky riders quick out of the starts and well in control . monarchs riders thought all they had to do was turn up and get 32 points. big mistake from them .

well done to the workington team for sticking it to them .

special mention to young kyle bickleyon on his contribution tonight . the young un rode very well and its coming for the lad .  

sad for the monarchs fans that travelled to cumbria tonight , NAA , NOT REALLY . 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Endeavour said:

Just in from Workington - totally gutted BUT credit where credits due. Well done to the Comets. A total team performance, working for each other. A very jaded looking Eric tonight. Hope the Comets do the double. Laura has been a great supporter and friend to Edinburgh and no one would deserve some silverware more. A great performance clawing that deficit back. Take a bow Workington.

only thing ill add to that is Workington are still on for a treble at the moment 

• Like 1

No one was happy with Kevin Doolan as guest last night, let’s not forget his 7pts contributed to our win. Still on a high, fantastic!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shazza13 said:

Them witches spells cast by our esteemed chief witch havent half worked and she polished that broomstick on the way home too!

:party::party:Well , well , well who would have thought it ! Never underestimate the mighty Comets , we did it ...2 down 1 to go :) I did say it’s never over til the fat lady sings :D she sang her bloody heart out tonight ..and so did I , so proud of the boys a great guest in Jake Allen , to claw that back from a strong Edinburgh team is unbelievable. This is one happy witch tonight be prepared weegies we coming to get you ..mwahhhhhhhhhh !!!! 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

sounds a cracking meeting.i take Ricky Wells being excluded from heat 15 was the correct decision,as no one has questioned it.

Well unless they were going to be alright with him wanting to ride heat 15 clockwise I think so :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

sounds a cracking meeting.i take Ricky Wells being excluded from heat 15 was the correct decision,as no one has questioned it.

Technically it was the correct decision as whilst Ricky was at the gate he was facing the wrong way using the back wheel to prepare his gate when he was excluded.  For me it was a massive shame that a last heat decider with the teams all square was spoiled by a technical decision. Not convinced it would have changed the result but did leave a bad taste in the mouth. I'm sure the worky fans didn't let it spoil their enjoyment.

A fantastic performance from the comets, from the track preparation creating a track perfect for their team and a struggle for the monarchs. They are quite entitled to do that and whilst it made it a bit of a gaters paradise early on did produce some cracking races.  Then all 7 riders in the home team performed excellently with only 2 last places, deserved to win. 

For the monarchs, it is difficult to fault the effort of the riders but we simply weren't good enough in the conditions on the night. Fair enough getting caught out early on but riders should have been capable of getting the set up. Pickering and Worrall fighting really hard and all races they were in were exciting but the fact it took a monumental effort just to pass bickley for a 3-3 tells a story. Willie Lawson deserved a lot more than 1 point for his efforts and heat 12 would have been a massive turning point if it wasnt for a puncture with monarchs on a potential 5-1. Josh was brilliant in this race protecting willie and then after being baulked by the puncture managed to pass campton again on the last lap. Jordan stewart was out his depth his only contribution being keeping erik behind him in ht4.  Although as he couldn't pass Stewart doubt he would have passed campton. That was the sign of things to come for the skipper who simply wasn't fast enough, he fought hard for 4 points but he should be hitting double figures. yet again the big 2 failed in heat 13, a story of our away season and rickys mistake in ht15 probably summed it up for him only 7 points for a no1 is not good enough. Least said about Victor the better, he can't be fully fit.

A disaster for the monarchs on track and off track as the financial consequences of not reaching play offs or cup final will be huge.

Well done to workington unbelievable change from last night and good luck in the cup final.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, scotchopper said:

Technically it was the correct decision as whilst Ricky was at the gate he was facing the wrong way using the back wheel to prepare his gate when he was excluded.  For me it was a massive shame that a last heat decider with the teams all square was spoiled by a technical decision. Not convinced it would have changed the result but did leave a bad taste in the mouth. I'm sure the worky fans didn't let it spoil their enjoyment.

A fantastic performance from the comets, from the track preparation creating a track perfect for their team and a struggle for the monarchs. They are quite entitled to do that and whilst it made it a bit of a gaters paradise early on did produce some cracking races.  Then all 7 riders in the home team performed excellently with only 2 last places, deserved to win. 

For the monarchs, it is difficult to fault the effort of the riders but we simply weren't good enough in the conditions on the night. Fair enough getting caught out early on but riders should have been capable of getting the set up. Pickering and Worrall fighting really hard and all races they were in were exciting but the fact it took a monumental effort just to pass bickley for a 3-3 tells a story. Willie Lawson deserved a lot more than 1 point for his efforts and heat 12 would have been a massive turning point if it wasnt for a puncture with monarchs on a potential 5-1. Josh was brilliant in this race protecting willie and then after being baulked by the puncture managed to pass campton again on the last lap. Jordan stewart was out his depth his only contribution being keeping erik behind him in ht4.  Although as he couldn't pass Stewart doubt he would have passed campton. That was the sign of things to come for the skipper who simply wasn't fast enough, he fought hard for 4 points but he should be hitting double figures. yet again the big 2 failed in heat 13, a story of our away season and rickys mistake in ht15 probably summed it up for him only 7 points for a no1 is not good enough. Least said about Victor the better, he can't be fully fit.

A disaster for the monarchs on track and off track as the financial consequences of not reaching play offs or cup final will be huge.

Well done to workington unbelievable change from last night and good luck in the cup final.

Very slightly unfair here. I thought the track was prepared for the home side (I still have dust everywhere now) but its far from unheard of that racing will get better as a meeting progresses. Definitely happens at our best track, Belle Vue, and I seem to recall Jensen hitting Riss as early as heat 6.

To highlight the difficulties Pickering and Worrall had in passing Bickley as a sign of the track conditions does not do justice to just how improved the Workington reserve is. The very fact that he outgated them in the first place - something that would have been unthinkable a couple of months ago - is evidence of how much he has come on, as was his win in heat 2 and a crucial third place in heat 14. 

According to my spy at the tapes, Stuart Wilson had had enough of riders messing about at the starts and one of the clerk of the course calls was a warning to pack it in or else. Wells can have no-one to blame but himself given that he was facing the wrong way at the time, although my understanding is that if he had not turned round it could have been Klindt that would have got the exclusion light. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Like others, I nearly gave this one a miss given the result the preceding night and came because it would not have been fair on my driver. 

I am bloody glad that I did :D

A cracking meeting with everything that is good about speedway thrown in - some brilliant racing, a fantastic come back, a little controversy, a last heat decider and all sorted in less than 90 minutes.

Great stuff :approve:

I am not sure what happened to the Monarchs but the Comets were clearly fired up, possibly stung by the - not unfair - criticism from the night before. A superb team performance, and while no-one really deserves to be singled out a mention (again) for Kyle Bickley. Huge improvement from the youngster. 

A mention, too, for Hoggy. I know I am biased here, but his efforts to whip up the home crowd and get them behind the team might just have made the difference between winning and losing.

Sadly, this was probably my last trip to the Wild West this season due to holiday commitments. I have seen about half of the Comets home fixtures, and its been a ball. With two finals and a semi final guaranteed, it will be a huge disappointment and a major anti climax if they don't win something and there's no doubt that Laura, Steve, Jacko and some furiously loyal fans deserve it (especially after all the crap they have had thrown their way). Whatever the case - and I'll be cheering them on from afar and most definitely will not be betting against them - its pretty fair to say that this is the Comets best season since Ian Thomas introduced the sport to the town in 1970. 

Its been a pleasure to see you at DP this year..Hoggy is the best!. Hopefully see you in the future...enjoy your hols!

• Like 1

Wow what a meeting, from 1 to 7 a massive effort. 

Man of the meeting for me though was kyle Bickley, boy has the kid come on this past couple of month, a massive star of the future. I just hope the rumour I'm hearing of a move to Glasgow next season are not true, I think a move up there would be anything but good for his development giving the pressure and expectation that the tigers promotion up there put on riders. 

• Like 5