British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IppoHippo

The way forward

OK, so what if we had an U21 championship held on the same track the night or two before the Grand Prix?  This could also be televised (by any willing) and could make it a 'championship weekend' with the winner of the U21 championship getting a wildcard into the GP series the following year.  Might help to get track preparations sorted earlier so we don't have some of the issues we have this year.

4 hours ago, IppoHippo said:

OK, so what if we had an U21 championship held on the same track the night or two before the Grand Prix?  This could also be televised (by any willing) and could make it a 'championship weekend' with the winner of the U21 championship getting a wildcard into the GP series the following year.  Might help to get track preparations sorted earlier so we don't have some of the issues we have this year.

I imagine it would simply not be financially viable. 

Not convinced it would help track prep.

Would have no objection to the u21 getting a permanent wc in theory. 

4 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Would have no objection to the u21 getting a permanent wc in theory. 

Few U21 champions are ready for the GP.  Even Jason Crump struggled in his first year.

But are we really ready for the next Dawid Kuwaja in the GP?

There is also a strong likelihood it will mean yet another Pole.

World under 21 champ should be considered on merit along with other wildcard picks.

Unless you move GP practice you would have to hold any extra meetings on Thursday's

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

Few U21 champions are ready for the GP.  Even Jason Crump struggled in his first year.

World under 21 champ should be considered on merit along with other wildcard picks.

Largely agree. The theory is fine.

For most u21 champs it would come a little too soon. Smektala for example I would see as being around as competitive as Cook has been (perhaps better on the polish tracks) - not disgraced, but never going to make top 10. 

I don't think any of the champions since it moved to the "mini gp" format would have been out of their depth in the following season's series, in fact since Emil won in 2007 he and every rider since have been quality. But in a lot of cases perhaps things would come a season or two too early.

That said, I would be happy to see Lambert get a wild card for next year.

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, arnieg said:

David Kujawa was a Newport legend! :)

Turned up with just the shirt on his back I think!

I have been an advocate of this since it moved to a mini GP format, shows consistency across a range of tracks.