British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

berwick bandits 2019

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Loyalty v Money in Speedway,know which way that is likely to go.;)

At his stage in his career, isn't being surrounded by familiar faces and lessons/experience waaay more important long term?

39 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

But will he be loyal to his home town club, where I assume he's still based? Seems like a nice enough lad with a lot of sense for his age

Leon being at Berwick would be great for Berwick, what Leon needs to decide is would being at Berwick be good for Leon. Being the local lad racing for the local team sometimes doesnt work out.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, screm said:

Leon being at Berwick would be great for Berwick, what Leon needs to decide is would being at Berwick be good for Leon. Being the local lad racing for the local team sometimes doesnt work out.

Would be great for me to see him ride on a regular basis, would be great for the club and his sponsors who have supported him so far.

Would it be good for Leons career, probably not, so I look at the bigger picture, Leon needs to be going to where he can advance the most, I feel that is elsewhere. Leon is intelligent enough to make his own decision, and at the end of the day it is what he wants, and I hope no individual is placing any pressure on him.

• Like 4

On 10/7/2018 at 5:43 PM, screm said:

10 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Would be great for me to see him ride on a regular basis, would be great for the club and his sponsors who have supported him so far.

Would it be good for Leons career, probably not, so I look at the bigger picture, Leon needs to be going to where he can advance the most, I feel that is elsewhere. Leon is intelligent enough to make his own decision, and at the end of the day it is what he wants, and I hope no individual is placing any pressure on him.

Both fair comments, but BP is right, it's up to Leon at the end of the day and he's intelligent enough to decide on his own

I can't see why Berwick wouldn't be the best option for him on the next step of his career. He would get all the support he needed from local fans, he would be popular, Berwick have shown in the past they stick by their riders, he would have plenty of local sponsors. If he (hopefully) progresses further, then he moves on.

On 10/7/2018 at 5:11 PM, Dandelion said:

At his stage in his career, isn't being surrounded by familiar faces and lessons/experience waaay more important long term?

take a leaf out of kyle bickleys book ...  stick with your local team and reap the benefits .its working for kyle .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jenga said:

take a leaf out of kyle bickleys book ...  stick with your local team and reap the benefits .its working for kyle .

It's been a tough season scoring wise for Kyle Bickley, but credit to him, the club and the fans for sticking to it. I suppose it helps when the rest of the team are scoring enough points to still win, had Workington been struggling, would the same scenario be true? But riding for your home town team certainly gains you a bit more leeway with fans etc.

2 hours ago, topsoil said:

It's been a tough season scoring wise for Kyle Bickley, but credit to him, the club and the fans for sticking to it. I suppose it helps when the rest of the team are scoring enough points to still win, had Workington been struggling, would the same scenario be true? But riding for your home town team certainly gains you a bit more leeway with fans etc.

It can also put pressure on a rider riding in front of his local crowd, not necessarily from the fans but from the rider himself, who will want to perform to his best at home.  My hope is he will sign for a senior team in the Premiership possibly then be loaned out to a Championship club, that club may be Berwick, who knows.  My gut feeling although he has come on leaps and bounds this season, another year at National League level is needed

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

It can also put pressure on a rider riding in front of his local crowd, not necessarily from the fans but from the rider himself, who will want to perform to his best at home.  My hope is he will sign for a senior team in the Premiership possibly then be loaned out to a Championship club, that club may be Berwick, who knows.  My gut feeling although he has come on leaps and bounds this season, another year at National League level is needed

Tend to agree,he is still young and another season at NL level is best option.Personaly not sure having Berwick as a home track is a great advantage to a young rider learning the sport, to much gate and go.Wish him the best whatever he chooses.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Tend to agree,he is still young and another season at NL level is best option.Personaly not sure having Berwick as a home track is a great advantage to a young rider learning the sport, to much gate and go.Wish him the best whatever he chooses.

As I said, would love the opportunity to watch Leon race regularly, if his progression in the sport is elsewhere to the benefit of his career, then I am happy whatever his decision. He is it a stage where sentiment is launched right out of the window.  He owes Berwick speedway nothing, most of his progression has been elsewhere, and with the support of Big Tony is all of his own doing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

As I said, would love the opportunity to watch Leon race regularly, if his progression in the sport is elsewhere to the benefit of his career, then I am happy whatever his decision. He is it a stage where sentiment is launched right out of the window.  He owes Berwick speedway nothing, most of his progression has been elsewhere, and with the support of Big Tony is all of his own doing.

Even if that's Newcastle

Regards
THJ

31 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

I would not recommend he be at any Northern club, let alone Newcastle.:blink:

LOL He is a great kid and Dad Gary will keep him well grounded that is for sure; and no matter where he ends up he is looking like a tremendous prospect, 

Regards
THJ

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

LOL He is a great kid and Dad Gary will keep him well grounded that is for sure; and no matter where he ends up he is looking like a tremendous prospect, 

Regards
THJ

Its Big Tony, Garys dad that will keep him grounded, and there is hope that he will also keep Gary grounded as well. :party:

• Haha 3

On 9 October 2018 at 11:27 AM, balderdash&piffle said:

The team is up for sale.

Maybe need a new promoter before we can try and convince Leon to race for the Bandits.