British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

berwick bandits 2019

21 minutes ago, Normski said:

Scott Courtney praised the Supporters Club for having a bit of class last season. End of the season we handed over £1000 to the STARS project and in  Scott's words bridges were being built. There has been a few digs lately in blogs on the Dirt Page regarding the existing supporters club, all I will; say is that if your going to put something on a website that is read by fans and supporters at least get your facts right. 

Well said Norman

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

A very poorly worded article by Mr Barrie on Berwick Website IMO.

Incredible.

11 hours ago, Fromafar said:

A very poorly worded article by Mr Barrie on Berwick Website IMO.

Honestly

IMHO Dick has spelled it out quite succinctly and he is only stating what everyone is aware of, Workington went through this a few years back and the supporters club morphed into the Friends of Workington Speedway and then in to the Workington Speedway Supporters Trust and those bodies injected 20 thousand pounds into Workington Speedway over two seasons becoming the clubs biggest individual sponsor paying for things like medical cover ambulances and other sundry items that go into running a Speedway team and it still didn't save the club.

As much as Dick can be a "dick" and isn't everyone's cup of tea he has hit the nail right on the head here and the new Supporters Club needs to support the club; its always nice to run subsidised coaches and give the riders lump sums but the priority has to be keeping the club afloat first and foremost otherwise you can raise as much money as you like but if there is no club to support what do you do then. You still go to the GP but pay for it yourself anyway! Watch TV Speedway and go to the odd meeting up and down the road rather than have a local club to support. Very short sighted in my view

All revenue streams need to be coming back to the club to keep the thing viable and you don't need to hand over the cash because lets face it what the issue is here; is that certain folk can think that when they are handing over cash that the promoters just put it straight into their pockets and subsidise their "Playboy Lifestyles" which is not the case. (Courtney's Playboys lol, Sorry Scott)

All clubs are operating on a shoe string and the difference to making a small profit or a small loss can be the lifeline that keeps the promotion operating rather than folding another club due to large debts and unsustainable losses. If the Supporters Club worry about where the cash is going commit to paying for something all season, Medical Cover doesn't come cheap pay this direct, the Referee needs to be paid for, meeting fuel and tyres possibly, security or stadium rent, whatever it is; it helps and takes pressure off the promotion. Also it needs to be stated transparency is the key and if you tell people where the funds are being spent and how they are benefiting the club most (not all unfortunately) come on board and understand why this course of action is being followed. Keep an accurate ledger and follow good governance.

Keep the faith Bandit Fans and get behind your promotion to ensure you have a Speedway team in the town to support because in this day and age it will be very difficult to resurrect a club once it has gone

Good luck with the new Supporters Club

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling, Spell Check and Eyesight
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

IMHO Dick has spelled it out quite succinctly and he is only stating what everyone is aware of, Workington went through this a few years back and the supporters club morphed into the Friends of Workington Speedway and then in to the Workington Speedway Supporters Trust and those bodies injected 20 thousand pounds into Workington Speedway over two seasons becoming the clubs biggest individual sponsor paying for things like medical cover ambulances and other sundry items that go into running a Speedway team and it still didn't save the club.

As much as Dick can be a "dick" and isn't everyone's cup of tea he has hit the nail right on the head here and the new Supporters Club needs to support the club; its always nice to run subsidised coaches and give the riders lump sums but the priority has to be keeping the club afloat first and foremost otherwise you can raise as much money as you like but if there is no club to support what do you do then. You still go to the GP but pay for it yourself anyway! Watch TV Speedway and go to the odd meeting up and down the road rather than have a local club to support. Very short sighted in my view

All revenue streams need to be coming back to the club to keep the thing viable and you don't need to hand over the cash because lets face it what the issue is here; is that certain folk can think that when they are handing over cash that the promoters just put it straight into their pockets and subsidise their "Playboy Lifestyles" which is not the case. (Courtney's Playboys lol, Sorry Scott)

All clubs are operating on a shoe string and the difference to making a small profit or a small loss can be the lifeline that keeps the promotion operating rather than folding another club due to large debts and unsustainable losses. If the Supporters Club worry about where the cash is going commit to paying for something all season, Medical Cover doesn't come cheap pay this direct, the Referee needs to be paid for, meeting fuel and tyres possibly, security or stadium rent, whatever it is; it helps and takes pressure off the promotion. Also it needs to be stated transparency is the key and if you tell people where the funds are being spent and how they are benefiting the club most (not all unfortunately) come on board and understand why this course of action is being followed. Keep an accurate ledger and follow good governance.

Keep the faith Bandit Fans and get behind your promotion to ensure you have a Speedway team in the town to support because in this day and age it will be very difficult to resurrect a club once it has gone

Regards
THJ

Honestly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2019 at 4:27 PM, mac101 said:

That’s the attitude that closes clubs down your called a supporter to support the club through good and bad times how many worky fans are now thinking wish I had supported my team now they don’t have a one 

Not enough I would imagine, hence why the club has withdrawn.

Speedway has this nasty habit of trying to limit the amount of people and fans it loses, instead of trying to attract new fans. Keep bumping the prices up forcing numbers to decrease further and further until eventually the business is completely unsustainable is not a good business plan. Spin King Junior has hit the nail on the head about the scare tactics.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Speedway has this nasty habit of trying to limit the amount of people and fans it loses, instead of trying to attract new fans. Keep bumping the prices up forcing numbers to decrease further and further until eventually the business is completely unsustainable is not a good business plan. Spin King Junior has hit the nail on the head about the scare tactics.

Big dangers for many clubs (even the currently sustainable ones) is that every club thinks on an insular level, considering their own interests and to heck with the other clubs in the country. Without other clubs surviving there is no value to your own business. If this was standard industry drumming out of business to get a large share makes sense but it isn't, if this was football (and sorry hate cross sport comparisons) if one club fell by the wayside there are literally dozens queuing to take its place but in speedway we have the unique situation whereby a group of riders (with personal agendas) sign for clubs (with personal agendas) and are governed by you guessed it an organisation with personal agendas. Until everyone starts pulling in one direction the only way isn't down just apart.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Najjer said:

It does appear to me, the more a club mis-manages it's affairs, and the BSPA negate their responsibility  by not sorting out the many problems in speedway.  Of course the two are the same, as the promoter is one part of the other.  The more they ask of a declining fan base financially, to the degree where it reaches terminal decline.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Regards
THJ

The supporters club have supported the club in very real terms over the years, they have given substantial donations for the purchase of a new fence, the purchase of a second ambulance, loan fee for riders and many many more. In fact without the supporters club and its donation I suspect Berwick Speedway would've gone by now.  

The thing I find most distasteful about Mr Barrie`s article is the way we are categorised, either fan or supporter, to me they are one and the same. Anyone spending their money to attend meetings, and in many cases making sacrifices to do so deserve better. It is true there were differences between the club and the supporters club last season but as has already been mentioned bridges were being built. This topic was debated on here and looked to have been put to bed, at least partially, now that can have of worms has been opened again, I will only make the point I made at the time, the club would do well not to pick a fight with its most loyal and those who help the club either directly or in-directly as there is only one winner there. 

• Like 8

So dick  decides to get a little personal about some supporters. Yes they are both fans and supporters. They buy season tickets or pay at the gate . Buy a programme and purchase beveridges and the likes at the club bars. Go to away meetings too support , yes again that word support their team . They have giving donations too the club and to the riders too help with equipment. Dick now tells us the riders are well paid . If that’s the case dick last season they must have been very very well paid if they have taken the wage cuts Jamie said at the meeting. The supporters of this club want nothing more than too see a team race in a Saturday and I’m sure they are all grateful to Jamie and his team for allowing them to continue for another season. What they don’t need is a mouthpiece spouting off what he thinks some people want to hear and too slag off supporters on an official website is a bit embarrassing to say the least . Put it on your own blog dick. 

• Like 2

Problem is many supporters clubs do and often quite rightly decide where there funds go as they generated them , now I believe if possible, supporters clubs and promoters/owners must work together , what we have seeen with Workington sadly is that it’s no longer  clubs go to the wall but when.

Remember if your using the name of your club to have a supporters club then I feel they should be involved with you.

no club no supporters club and vice versa,  I believe promotions and fans are needed to work together in the hope no more clubs go bust, not something I’m 100% sure certain will be the case sadly.

• Like 4

A supporters club for the club is what’s needed , if there is no club then no speedway it’s that simple .

the riders will find other clubs and get paid just the same , maybe it’s a question for the riders whether they would prefer money to go them or the club? 

I mean if Harry Kane needed new football boots he would not expect supporters to but them for him would he ? (Different sport I know) 

This is why supporters or fans choose to sponsor a rider so they can provide to offset costs for simple things like tyres and oil 

Speedway has changed dramatically in the last few years , rising costs and dwindling crowds , which in turn makes it so tough to promote the sport , Jamie Courtney should be applauded for keeping the club running and yes we will have speedway next season.

support it or lose it forever , it’s time to step out of the dark ages and move forward together as a club.

Who’s the best ? ...................BANDITS 

• Like 2

So basically the product being offered for this season is yet further watered down than it has been the last few years, yet the prices have been raised?  Alongside this, its entirely the duty of the supporters club to hand over to the club every penny they make? And the justification is simply that they should just be grateful that the speedway is being kept going?

Sorry but this is the 21st century and speedway is vastly overpriced for the product people get to see and the amount of guest riders they see for riders riding elsewhere at any given time and any amount of other excuses that are made when it suits throughout a season. If a supporters group wish to put on trips for their members then thats entirely their prerogative there shouldnt be articles written by that prat regarding the matter.

I think its about time speedway broadly moved itself away from the self praise it craves just for ‘keeping the speedway going’. If you put on a great product and get the entertainment spot on, the crowd would take care of itself. If you dont, I dont see why clubs can turn around and be surprised/offended when people dont go anymore.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, emilali said:

So basically the product being offered for this season is yet further watered down than it has been the last few years, yet the prices have been raised?  Alongside this, its entirely the duty of the supporters club to hand over to the club every penny they make? And the justification is simply that they should just be grateful that the speedway is being kept going?

Sorry but this is the 21st century and speedway is vastly overpriced for the product people get to see and the amount of guest riders they see for riders riding elsewhere at any given time and any amount of other excuses that are made when it suits throughout a season. If a supporters group wish to put on trips for their members then thats entirely their prerogative there shouldnt be articles written by that prat regarding the matter.

I think its about time speedway broadly moved itself away from the self praise it craves just for ‘keeping the speedway going’. If you put on a great product and get the entertainment spot on, the crowd would take care of itself. If you dont, I dont see why clubs can turn around and be surprised/offended when people dont go anymore.

Sadly you hit nail on head in many ways   Admission costs across Championship seem to all be around the £17 mark? Take it without Seasons Man/Wife /2 kids would be £36 plus  a programme and food, maybe £50 all in? Unless it takes off again like Rugby League did several years ago halycon day crowds gone!

44 minutes ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

Sadly you hit nail on head in many ways   Admission costs across Championship seem to all be around the £17 mark? Take it without Seasons Man/Wife /2 kids would be £36 plus  a programme and food, maybe £50 all in? Unless it takes off again like Rugby League did several years ago halycon day crowds gone!

So true. Although with food could be closer to £60. How many fans are lucky enough to have partners / kids who also really want to go to Speedway and who wouldn't choose a day/evening/dinner out for the same money and with a considerable higher level of luxury.