British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

berwick bandits 2019

40 minutes ago, *JJ said:

What happened to the track at Berrington Lough? I noticed recently that it is in the OS map as 'disused speedway track'.

And that is what it is. Overgrown, with most of the buildings pulled down or badly damaged. Someone posted pictures not so long ago on the BSF.

Berwick can be brilliant..It can be awful too. It seems to be a track that suits a certain kind of rider, ie flat out mad men. 

People that are comfortable at high speed near the fence..it aint for everyone, but with the correct riders i think it can give some good racing.

2 hours ago, Dekker said:

need a  new track to get better riders, decent stadium but the shape is pants being around the pitch.

The shape is the same as it was in 1968, up until Peter Waite departed we had pretty good racing.  Since then fans have complained about the shape, think it has more to do with the track prep, what a difference for the last half of 2017 season , when Nick Morris was with us, last season went backwards again.

Track was wider from 1968-80 as there was no 2 metre fences them days. Average time of a race then was around the 76 second mark compared to 66 seconds nowadays.

1 hour ago, balderdash&piffle said:

The shape is the same as it was in 1968, up until Peter Waite departed we had pretty good racing.  Since then fans have complained about the shape, think it has more to do with the track prep, what a difference for the last half of 2017 season , when Nick Morris was with us, last season went backwards again.

Track prep is key to decent racing at Berwick IMO.Touchy subject though, even between the riders never Mind the fans.

• Like 1

Not a criticism as the football pitch dictates track dimensions but your straights are too long and narrow, riders shutting off and queueing up into the bends rarely results in good speedway. If ever the straights could be sorted it would be a good track as the corners are awesome. 

7 hours ago, Dekker said:

need a  new track to get better riders, decent stadium but the shape is pants being around the pitch.

just like a lot more mmmmmmmmmmm

7 hours ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

Unfortunately mate it is what it is   There will be no chance of another stadium these days.  Only way would seem to be if footie move to suggested new stadium set up near the by pass and then speedway took over lease of Shielfield and then you would see a track to suit!  Mind you it would probably go to housing!

I think I`m right in saying Shielfield Park is on a long term rolling lease from the Council to the Berwick rangers trust so if the football moves out the lease would move to and/or become void. Giving Shielfield`s location I would most of it would be turned into houses as you say.

33 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Not a criticism as the football pitch dictates track dimensions but your straights are too long and narrow, riders shutting off and queueing up into the bends rarely results in good speedway. If ever the straights could be sorted it would be a good track as the corners are awesome. 

Your probably right but as others have said it is what it is, and the chances of the track shape changing anytime soon are next to zero. Track shape is important but we`ve seen good and great meetings from time to time at Berwick with the current shape so its not as if it can`t be done, but the will and the effort have to be there in the first place to do so.

Good to see Aaron summers getting fixed up with a Premiership team, even for a short term having signed for Peterborough.

8 hours ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

Unfortunately mate it is what it is   There will be no chance of another stadium these days.  Only way would seem to be if footie move to suggested new stadium set up near the by pass and then speedway took over lease of Shielfield and then you would see a track to suit!  Mind you it would probably go to housing!

With the current perilous situation Berwick Rangers find themselves at the moment in I'd say the chances of a new football stadium anytime soon are extremely slim .IMHO the laying of the greyhound track caused the problem with track shape 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dekker said:

just like a lot more mmmmmmmmmmm

4 hours ago, DSC67 said:

With the current perilous situation Berwick Rangers find themselves at the moment in I'd say the chances of a new football stadium anytime soon are extremely slim .IMHO the laying of the greyhound track caused the problem with track shape 

Technology and silencers caused more problems than the shape of the track. IMHO.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Normski said:

Track was wider from 1968-80 as there was no 2 metre fences them days. Average time of a race then was around the 76 second mark compared to 66 seconds nowadays.

was also 34 metres longer!

21 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Peter Waite also created some god damn awful tracks. He created them for a specific type of rider, if you liked it, you thrived, but several didn't like it and the sight of riders two wheeling into corners turned a lot of fans way. It was the days where Berwick had a huge home track advantage and on this basis had some good league finishes.

Funny that Peter got a lot of criticism back in the day but fans now look back all misty eyed on his time in charge.

• Like 1