British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

berwick bandits 2019

37 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Peter Waite also created some god damn awful tracks. He created them for a specific type of rider, if you liked it, you thrived, but several didn't like it and the sight of riders two wheeling into corners turned a lot of fans way. It was the days where Berwick had a huge home track advantage and on this basis had some good league finishes.

Funny that Peter got a lot of criticism back in the day but fans now look back all misty eyed on his time in charge.

At least you could speak to PW face to face and air your opinion, and it was never held against you.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

At least you could speak to PW face to face and air your opinion, and it was never held against you.  

I got on really well with Peter and still do, every time he is back and we bump into each other, we speak for ages. It seems you have a grief with someone? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, topsoil said:

I got on really well with Peter and still do, every time he is back and we bump into each other, we speak for ages. It seems you have a grief with someone? 

Certainly not Peter, 

It does appear that some folk have a beef with me, not my problem however, as a paying customer I should be able to comment on  what is concerning to the future of speedway.  You can see for yourself the decline in the gate at Berwick, mainly caused by a less entertaining offer.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 12:29 PM, Tsunami said:

And that is what it is. Overgrown, with most of the buildings pulled down or badly damaged. Someone posted pictures not so long ago on the BSF.

Doubtless, but what I meant was, why did it stopped being used, whenever that was, and could it not be used again if Shielfield Park is unavailable some time? Anyway, hopefully I will be up there with the Brummies match.

9 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Doubtless, but what I meant was, why did it stopped being used, whenever that was, and could it not be used again if Shielfield Park is unavailable some time? Anyway, hopefully I will be up there with the Brummies match.

From memory I think the then promoters Mike Hope and Yvette thought the fans wanted to be back 'home' at Shieldfield Park when they entered the PL in 1997. 

9 hours ago, George Dodds said:

was also 34 metres longer!

Previous to speedway was an athletics track I believe, which would have been 440  YARDS, the present speedway track is 368 METERS.  Was the original speedway track built on the footprint of the old athletics track, it must have been dug up as the foundations would have to be much stronger, and was the new speedway track 440 yards

34 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Previous to speedway was an athletics track I believe, which would have been 440  YARDS, the present speedway track is 368 METERS.  Was the original speedway track built on the footprint of the old athletics track, it must have been dug up as the foundations would have to be much stronger, and was the new speedway track 440 yards

Spot on Taff looking through an old proggie track length was 440 yards

37 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

It was and of course it was quite a bit wider, especially on the straights and the fence was along the line that the current wall takes. No need for a netural zone in those days. Start/finish was just in front of the football tunnel, leading to a much longer drag race to the first bend.

Not too great metrically but believe 440 yards is 402 metres

Edited by George Dodds

2 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

It was and of course it was quite a bit wider, especially on the straights and the fence was along the line that the current wall takes. No need for a netural zone in those days. Start/finish was just in front of the football tunnel, leading to a much longer drag race to the first bend.

Not too great metrically but believe 440 yards is 402 metres

402.336 lol

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2019 at 12:49 PM, BRITISHSPEEDPOWER said:

Berwick can be brilliant..It can be awful too. It seems to be a track that suits a certain kind of rider, ie flat out mad men. 

People that are comfortable at high speed near the fence..it aint for everyone, but with the correct riders i think it can give some good racing.

That is one of the most fair and accurate post about Berwick I have read. :t:

• Thanks 1

To any teams out there who are considering a change,you won't go far wrong giving Theo Pijper a call(maybe not Redcar,alright even Redcar).

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 12:43 PM, balderdash&piffle said:

Certainly not Peter, 

It does appear that some folk have a beef with me, not my problem however, as a paying customer I should be able to comment on  what is concerning to the future of speedway.  You can see for yourself the decline in the gate at Berwick, mainly caused by a less entertaining offer.

Hope the lack of passing last night was to your satisfaction lol 

the track was in excellent shape 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penchev said:

the cost to get in + entertainment value is one of the reason for thedecline in gate  money

13 hours ago, penchev said:

Sadly, could not make it, wife poorly.  Be there next Sat though, 

• Like 1

well a fine double over Newcastle  easy now to sort out flash the cash tigers get behind the lads for another double mmmmmmmmmm