British Speedway Forum
concessionscol

berwick bandits 2019

35 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

to be honest I think it always has been - even going back in the day. But we expect a level of professionalism from riders which was unthinkable 30 year ago - imagine the howls of abuse if a number one rider turned up with one bike, it blew up and he withdrew from the meeting as used to happen quite regularly - but still want them to cut their costs. 

There was always a track spare at a lot of tracks in these early days .I certainly don’t remember riders withdrawing from meeting”quite regular”.Im sure most could also borrow a bike from team mates if desperate.It was also “semi professional in these days at NL league level most riders had other jobs

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

Suppose it depends how far back you go. Certainly in the 70s a bike blowing - John Jackson, Dougie Templeton, Mark Perram, Colin Farquharson, Dave Baugh  all spring to mind. was the end of the night even for some of the big names. The track spare was a bit of a myth I think, some tracks had an old clunker left in the corner. Right about jumping on other people's bikes though but I suppose that was easier in the days of standard parts and set ups. All progress is progress but not all progress is good 

Crowd

47 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

Suppose it depends how far back you go. Certainly in the 70s a bike blowing - John Jackson, Dougie Templeton, Mark Perram, Colin Farquharson, Dave Baugh  all spring to mind. was the end of the night even for some of the big names. The track spare was a bit of a myth I think, some tracks had an old clunker left in the corner. Right about jumping on other people's bikes though but I suppose that was easier in the days of standard parts and set ups. All progress is progress but not all progress is good 

Crowds levels at most tracks  simply struggle to  meet riders wage demandsthesedays,other income is essential.Its not going to end well for a lot of riders .Thats the bottom line IMO 

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Crowd

Crowds levels at most tracks  simply struggle to  meet riders wage demands ,other income is essential.Its not going to end well for a lot of riders .Thats the bottom line IMO 

riders wage demands these days.

hard to disagree really - although when riders were paid less and crowds higher tracks still went bust so, while it's the big problem it's obviously not the only one

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Crowd

Crowds levels at most tracks  simply struggle to  meet riders wage demandsthesedays,other income is essential.Its not going to end well for a lot of riders .Thats the bottom line IMO 

yet some clubs still insist on signing big name riders hoping they can balance the books @ the end of the season and then moan about losing shad loads of cash ..( my own club  included ).  we only have 11 years to save the planet from self destruction . we have even less time to save a sport that is being crippled by high costs in wages and crazy running costs . with the season even shorter , why do riders need new hire vans for travelling around . there is not that many fixtures . Shirley  they can get away with a 3/4 yr old trtanny or something to fulfil their uk fixtures . then again , many of them cant even get a simple engine to go around a track for 4  laps . 

these high end riders are killing the championship as we know it . if they want to earn big money , do it in the premier league only and dont drift back in the championship for the east pickings . 

me, i would rather watch lads who are doing it for a hobby and not a living. the guys that turn up with one mech and not an army of 5 guys trying to prove they can blow a tyre up and pretend they know everything ... cut these costs and speedway will survive . but we only have 3/5 years  to sort it out . then its toast .

we dont owe them a living , they have to earn it and not be given it and entertain the public into the bargain . 

its a circus and the animals are about extinct !

no doubt there will be more track closures next year, sad to say .

Edited by jenga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jenga said:

yet some clubs still insist on signing big name riders hoping they can balance the books @ the end of the season and then moan about losing shad loads of cash ..( my own club  included ).  we only have 11 years to save the planet from self destruction . we have even less time to save a sport that is being crippled by high costs in wages and crazy running costs . with the season even shorter , why do riders need new hire vans for travelling around . there is not that many fixtures . Shirley  they can get away with a 3/4 yr old trtanny or something to fulfil their uk fixtures . then again , many of them cant even get a simple engine to go around a track for 4  laps . 

these high end riders are killing the championship as we know it . if they want to earn big money , do it in the premier league only and dont drift back in the championship for the east pickings . 

me, i would rather watch lads who are doing it for a hobby and not a living. the guys that turn up with one mech and not an army of 5 guys trying to prove they can blow a tyre up and pretend they know everything ... cut these costs and speedway will survive . but we only have 3/5 years  to sort it out . then its toast .

we dont owe them a living , they have to earn it and not be given it and entertain the public into the bargain . 

That has to be the most sensible post for years on here.You should forward it to the BSPA if there was anyone there who could read

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 11:01 AM, jenga said:

Majority of the high end riders are riding. 2-3 times a week all over the place ,only interested in raking cash as that’s their full time job for 6 months.Many of them certainly ride as though it’s just another day and another dollar IMO.

Edited by Fromafar

Do we know if Jye and Coty will be available for next Saturday? 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, George Dodds said:

hard to disagree really - although when riders were paid less and crowds higher tracks still went bust so, while it's the big problem it's obviously not the only one

Many tracks closed because landlords had sold the stadiums for redevelopment. Not always because of the clubs financial problems

27 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Many tracks closed because landlords had sold the stadiums for redevelopment. Not always because of the clubs financial problems

If those clubs were a financial success would the promoter have sold them,   or was the truth more they were not making money but only breaking even.  As a businessman its is prudent to get the best return for your investment.

8 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

If those clubs were a financial success would the promoter have sold them,   or was the truth more they were not making money but only breaking even.  As a businessman its is prudent to get the best return for your investment.

Very few teams own the facilities they use. They are at the mercy of the landlords. Go back and look at the number of housing and trading estates that now stand on the sites of former speedway stadiums

21 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Very few teams own the facilities they use. They are at the mercy of the landlords. Go back and look at the number of housing and trading estates that now stand on the sites of former speedway stadiums

Fair point but the likes of Cowdenbeath, Skegness, Crewe, Ellesmere Port, Wimbledon, Buxton, Paisley, Weymouth, Wembley, Sunderland, White City, Oxford, Rochdale - dare I say it, Rye House - all remained as stadiums - and some still do - for decades long after the speedway had pulled the plug. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

Fair point but the likes of Cowdenbeath, Skegness, Crewe, Ellesmere Port, Wimbledon, Buxton, Paisley, Weymouth, Wembley, Sunderland, White City, Oxford, Rochdale - dare I say it, Rye House - all remained as stadiums - and some still do - for decades long after the speedway had pulled the plug. 

Sure, but many more have disappeared completely, even since 1985 when I first went to speedway.

31 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Very true Shads. The first 10 tracks i visited in order of attendance were Wimbledon, Plymouth, West Ham, Wembley, Romford, Hackney, Reading, Rayleigh, Rye House & Eastbourne.The fact that two still remain intact is an achievement in itself.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 12:48 PM, cityrebel said:

Edited by Gringo