British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Poole v King’s Lynn Premiership Grand Final 1st leg 08/10/18

21 minutes ago, g13webb said:

We as a club have bent over backwards supporting Niels over the years, and am disappointed that he never considered how important the play-off was to this club this week.  I appreciate he wanted to compete in the Gollob Charity meeting, but at what expense.  He has let the whole of the club down with this injury.  and its not the first time we have suffered  this season, because his cavalier attitude.  The time is fast approaching when we have to ask,  is it worth a club spending big bucks for a top rider when they only put importance in themselves.    Very disappointed with the way it has all turned out....

Wow. 

5 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

OK it’s time to put this mess behind us and try to look forward to the final. For those travelling down from Kings Lynn, the weather is dry and overcast. No rain is forecast so it’s all good to go.

I believe Kings Lynn are far stronger with Ellis in the team. It should be relatively easy to outscore Iversens efforts this year. Lynn are certainly strengthened tonight. If Iversen doesn’t ride in the second leg they could be weakened but around Wimborne Road Iversen is not a serious threat.

Poole need to start the meeting far better then we did against Somerset. We can’t afford to wait until heat 8 before waking up.

Very hard one to call. I think we need 12-14 points to be in with a shout of winning the title. Not going to be easy to get any type of lead.  Just hope it’s a great meeting.

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole boss Matt Ford has acknowledged that whilst the King's Lynn Stars use of Adam Ellis as a guest rider for tonight's Premiership play-off first leg is "not ideal", it is permitted within the regulations.

Ford booked Ellis last week for the Pirates second leg visit to Norfolk this coming Wednesday after it was evident that Brady Kurtz would be a certain absentee from the Pirates' 10th play off final and then on Sunday King's Lynn found themselves in search of a replacement for Niels-Kristian Iversen who was injured in Poland, and Ellis fitted the bill for them too.

Ford explained "We have had a great deal of correspondence today asking how is it possible that Adam will be riding against us tonight but for us on Wednesday and whilst I accept it is not an ideal situation, there is nothing in the rules to prevent this happening. We declared our line-up to King's Lynn last week in accordance with the requirements so they were fully aware that we had booked Adam for Wednesday, and as we were able to go 5% above Brady's average for the home leg I took the decision to utilise Nick Morris for tonight. Whilst the rules preclude teams booking guests from clubs that have already competed in the play-offs, therefore ruling out riders from Somerset and Belle Vue of course, there is nothing to prevent more than one side booking the same rider in different meetings of the play-offs."

Tonight's meeting gets underway at 7.30pm with the gates opening from 6pm.

Ticket prices are £20 Adults; £17 OAPs & Concessions; £14 Students; £8 Youth (11-15); £4 Child (5-10); £45 Family ticket (2 Adults/2 Child).

Programme - 40 page special £4

Talk it up all you want mate but we all know it's gone through the wardrobe now.

Reading the above, there are 2 rules which need to change as a matter of course.

The first one is that a rider cannot ride for both teams in the final.

The second rule is that riders from the rwo defeated semi final teams also become allegeable to be used as guests.

• Like 3

Its still not too late to tighten the regs to stop it

There have been a number of supplementary updates during the season so why not another

Also just because its not in the regs doesnt mean certain protocol is not followed. The Championship section states rolling averages are to include league matches only but instead it was decided to also include the Shield matches

22 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

OK it’s time to put this mess behind us and try to look forward to the final. For those travelling down from Kings Lynn, the weather is dry and overcast. No rain is forecast so it’s all good to go.

I believe Kings Lynn are far stronger with Ellis in the team. It should be relatively easy to outscore Iversens efforts this year. Lynn are certainly strengthened tonight. If Iversen doesn’t ride in the second leg they could be weakened but around Wimborne Road Iversen is not a serious threat.

Poole need to start the meeting far better then we did against Somerset. We can’t afford to wait until heat 8 before waking up.

Very hard one to call. I think we need 12-14 points to be in with a shout of winning the title. Not going to be easy to get any type of lead.  Just hope it’s a great meeting.

Imagine if Ellis has a bad meeting at Poole and has a great meeting at kings lynn this forum will go into melt down

5 minutes ago, Greener21 said:

Imagine if Ellis has a bad meeting at Poole and has a great meeting at kings lynn this forum will go into melt down

That would be good if KL then win

The fact it is allowed within the rules is no excuse whatsoever for bringing the sport into disrepute. They could prevent it happening by for once using the, "in the best interests of the sport" rule, usually used to allow the bending the rules.

30 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Reading the above, there are 2 rules which need to change as a matter of course.

The second rule is that riders from the rwo defeated semi final teams also become allegeable to be used as guests.

The third rule that needs to be changed is to allow riders with genuine season ending injuries to be replaced after the deadline for team changes. However, it would have to be drafted in such a way as to require medical evidence from 2 doctors and include that the team concerned would have any points scored by the replacement deducted if the injured rider rode again anywhere in the world before the end of the UK season or, at least before the play offs were over.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Just think, if Adam had been considered good enough to be offered both meetings for Poole this would never have occurred ? 

I'm sure he is considered good enough. Just that we have used Nick in previous playoff meetings before and he has always done a good job for us. 

53 minutes ago, g13webb said:

We as a club have bent over backwards supporting Niels over the years, and am disappointed that he never considered how important the play-off was to this club this week.  I appreciate he wanted to compete in the Gollob Charity meeting, but at what expense.  He has let the whole of the club down with this injury.  and its not the first time we have suffered  this season, because his cavalier attitude.  The time is fast approaching when we have to ask,  is it worth a club spending big bucks for a top rider when they only put importance in themselves.    Very disappointed with the way it has all turned out....

Think you are going way way over the top whilst it’s a shame he crashed yesterday and is now suffering the effects - he could just as easily hurt himself doing say diy at home we can’t wrap riders up in cotton wool  - riders are free to earn a living Iversen is not just contracted to ride for Kings Lynn - personally I think Iversen has served the Stars well over the years and I’m certainly not going to criticise him for riding in Gollobs meeting - so if he’d crashed in the GP what you have said then ? Shouldn’t have raced in it ?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I'm sure he is considered good enough. Just that we have used Nick in previous playoff meetings before and he has always done a good job for us. 

Then surely as hell have no speedway income for the next five months he’s free to accept any guest bookings that come his way ? 

He lost last winter after having his wrist plated and spent three months in plaster, he may have to have his shoulder operated on this winter. 

He’s self employed and it’s nearly the end of the season. 

What you will will get is a rider who gives 100%to the club he’s representing on the night. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No. He could have said, “sorry, already booked by Poole. It would look bad to turn up for both teams in the final. Have to pass I am afraid”.

Why should he?!?

He's trying to earn a living. Not his fault at all.

Both teams should agree to run R/R. It's the only sensible outcome.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Totally agree with that SS. Don't agree Adam makes Lynn " far stronger" though. Morris is expected to score more than  Adam Eliis tonight... Well that's what Ford thinks otherwise he would be using Ellis :)

29 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Just think, if Adam had been considered good enough to be offered both meetings for Poole this would never have occurred ? 

He is good enough and should have been offered both meetings for Poole, he could of said I can do both but not just one.

6 minutes ago, pointsmeanplayoffs said:

Why should he?!?

He's trying to earn a living. Not his fault at all.

Both teams should agree to run R/R. It's the only sensible outcome.

You are contradicting yourself a little bit!