British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Poole v King’s Lynn Premiership Grand Final 1st leg 08/10/18

There is a report on the SGB site that contains ....
British Speedway vice-chairman Rob Godfrey said: “There was a serious risk of damaging the credibility of our sport because of the guest riders switching clubs after the first leg.

So this doesn't damage it? Well I suppose it's down to personal opinion anyway. I reckon Poole have the momentum, bringing in Harris has transformed them.

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

There. I said it wouldn’t take long for the usual suspects to start moaning about Poole being over the limit for Wednesday.

If we win it will all because we were over the points limit yadda yadda yadda.

Kings Lynn are still firm favourites with the bookies.

Ha ha. Well I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't posted that it was the case.

28 minutes ago, Shockster said:

Can't argue with that, but statement says all parties agree.  So, can only assume KL are happy with this.

Or maybe Poole gave it the old 'my way or the highway'. 

• Like 1

The correct decision has been made, you can’t have guests riding for one side & then switch for the folllowinb match especially in a final. 

Adam goes very well at KL & Morris is inconsistent there. Would say KL are still favourites IMO

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

You must know by now the Poole rule...................if Poole are missing riders they are weaker................if the opposition are missing riders they are stronger.

Lol, yes we know that rule just as well as we know Gavan's rule ….......... If Poole are missing riders they are stronger ............ If the opposition are missing riders they are weaker. Sounds a bit pot & kettle to me.

Averages and past form mean nothing in the final, it a case of who turns up on the night.

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Rules have been amended. 

Ellis now guests for Lynn in both meetings and morris for Poole in both meetings 

Well that's a first - common sense prevailing!

Much better solution that both teams utilising r/r in my opinion. Who the heck is bothered by a minor percentage discrepancy in Morris' average....not me. 

May the best team win and hopefully that will be Lynn, can't put up with Shovels crowing all thro the winter:P

Poole can’t use Morris in the away leg as his average is too high. They know the rules at the start of the season so if they don’t like it don’t take part, as is often trotted out.

It’s Poole though so......... just clearing my throat.............

Cheating scumbags!!

Didn’t see that coming! Common sense certainly prevails but never thought all three parties could come to an agreement like that.

Yes Morris takes Poole over the limit but it’s better than the alternative and the difference is quite small. If they win because he scores two hatfuls it will rankle a bit but in the grand scheme of British speedway it’s the right thing to do as guests are obviously hard to find this time of year.

• Like 2

So which of you said on here to me about the playoffs “ you all know the rules and signed up for them”, now because the hated rip offs have got s problem with rider availability ( in the middle of October, surely not), we change “the rules” so a team go into the final over the allowed average. That team is Poole. Rebels could not sign Harris because apparently he was 0.1 over the limit, fair enough. You really couldn’t make it , just watch Morris score a load now. It’s just made an already ridiculous situation even more barmy. Imo it should have been left as it was , at least the two teams average wise were evenly matched. 

29 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

There. I said it wouldn’t take long for the usual suspects to start moaning about Poole being over the limit for Wednesday.

If we win it will all because we were over the points limit yadda yadda yadda.

Kings Lynn are still firm favourites with the bookies.

You are over the limit.

You have broken the rules.

'Agreements' and 'Both sides agreeing' are everything that is wrong with the sport.

Common sense is utterly irrelevant. RULES should be stuck too.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

You are over the limit.

'Agreements' and 'Both sides agreeing' are everything that is wrong with the sport.

Even you must admit sticking to the rules and having Morris and Ellis swapping teams in the final would of been worse? 

22 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Well that's a first - common sense prevailing!

Much better solution that both teams utilising r/r in my opinion. Who the heck is bothered by a minor percentage discrepancy in Morris' average....not me. 

May the best team win and hopefully that will be Lynn, can't put up with Shovels crowing all thro the winter:P

Who the heck is bothered by the rules being broken...and yet again by the same team? That would be the multitudes who have turned their back on the sport because of flagrant disregard for rules, gentlemans agreements and in the 'best interests of speedway' rulings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

You are over the limit.

I’m fairy confident that if this “agreement “ had gone the other way the Poole element would be going berserk now.

2 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Even you must admit sticking to the rules and having Morris and Ellis swapping teams in the final would of been worse? 

Sticking to the rules is never worse.

The ruling should have been enforced that the same guest is used for both meetings. If Kings Lynn have used Morris in the first, he can't guest for Poole in the 2nd. Very simple. No rules broken.

It would be unfortunate for Poole, but they'd have to find a legal guest. Like every other club has had to do over the years.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Who the heck is bothered by the rules being broken...and yet again by the same team? That would be the multitudes who have turned their back on the sport because of flagrant disregard for rules, gentlemans agreements and in the 'best interests of speedway' rulings. 

Spot on post