British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Poole v King’s Lynn Premiership Grand Final 1st leg 08/10/18

2 minutes ago, g13webb said:

After 54 years,  the end is neigh.  No way can I continue to support a sport that destroys common sense values for their own being.   Week after week, year after year,  I have stubbornly resisted  the temptation to pack it all in, but what I watched last night was truly destructive of this once great sport.   What should have been the pinnacle occasion of the season was turned into a circus...

Everywhere you look,  you question the integrity of what you see.  Every decision, you wonder if it was pre-planned before hand, or was there any underhanded dealings  that we don't know about.   I have always refused to accept how bad this sport has become, but last night everything hit home....

We have battled all season to climb them dizzy heights to win the league.  We did so by winning more matches, home and away than all our competitors,  but it means nothing.    the achievement is superseded by a tin-pot competition where teams are able pull any tricks they want, and with referees on board to promote the team they want to succeed.     To expect us to compete with 2 of our main riders missing merely outlines the ridiculousness of the situation.   It makes a mockery out of its own existence...

I cant believe I have been blinded for so long.  I have preached many times to those who once went to Lynn with no success.  I have beaten my head against the wall questioning my own sanity, but now  I have  made that decision.   Whether we win or lose,   this will be the last year of my involvement. No way can I continue to support something I don't believe in anymore.

A love affair that lasted 54 years......  

You are a dramatic little thing aren't you?? 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, g13webb said:

After 54 years,  the end is neigh.  No way can I continue to support a sport that destroys common sense values for their own being.   Week after week, year after year,  I have stubbornly resisted  the temptation to pack it all in, but what I watched last night was truly destructive of this once great sport.   What should have been the pinnacle occasion of the season was turned into a circus...

Everywhere you look,  you question the integrity of what you see.  Every decision, you wonder if it was pre-planned before hand, or was there any underhanded dealings  that we don't know about.   I have always refused to accept how bad this sport has become, but last night everything hit home....

We have battled all season to climb them dizzy heights to win the league.  We did so by winning more matches, home and away than all our competitors,  but it means nothing.    the achievement is superseded by a tin-pot competition where teams are able pull any tricks they want, and with referees on board to promote the team they want to succeed.     To expect us to compete with 2 of our main riders missing merely outlines the ridiculousness of the situation.   It makes a mockery out of its own existence...

I cant believe I have been blinded for so long.  I have preached many times to those who once went to Lynn with no success.  I have beaten my head against the wall questioning my own sanity, but now  I have  made that decision.   Whether we win or lose,   this will be the last year of my involvement. No way can I continue to support something I don't believe in anymore.

It is 50 years since i attended my first meeting and I know exactly how you feel. You seriously have to ask is there corruption and cheating in the sport and I don't just mean the cases of a rider being told to have a bad race so a tactical ride can or can't be used or to manipulate his average?
The  scenario of a rider appearing for two different teams in the Final would undoubtedly have led to all sorts of conspiracy theories after the final results were decided but now we are (rightly) questioning some of the decisions in last night's meeting and thus the integrity of a match official which is unfortunate.
As been said a hundred, nay a thousand times before the sooner we have a FULLY independent body running rather than ruining the sport the  quicker speedway will become a creditable sport once more.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I thought they said last night they kept Simon Lambert instead of bringing him back in, so in theory they dropped him?

ok well Terio AArnio and Nicolai Busk Jacobsen seem to be riding well.

2 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Well they used a British rider which is a positive but then that poses the question if  that for financial reasons rather than using a more expensive foreign rider?

8 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

It is 50 years since i attended my first meeting and I know exactly how you feel. You seriously have to ask is there corruption and cheating in the sport and I don't just mean the cases of a rider being told to have a bad race so a tactical ride can or can't be used or to manipulate his average?
The  scenario of a rider appearing for two different teams in the Final would undoubtedly have led to all sorts of conspiracy theories after the final results were decided but now we are (rightly) questioning some of the decisions in last night's meeting and thus the integrity of a match official which is unfortunate.
As been said a hundred, nay a thousand times before the sooner we have a FULLY independent body running rather than ruining the sport the  quicker speedway will become a creditable sport once more.

once you miss a few weeks, you will never return, you end up following it online, tv etc, but you just do other things. Speedway simply fail to attract youngsters, and the old guard has just given up on stupid rules..doubling up killed it for me, ridiculous! 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, g13webb said:

See you next year...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

And they could also had Hans Andersen for Niels at Lynn with the 5% above! 

3 minutes ago, ColinMills said:

once you miss a few weeks, you will never return, you end up following it online, tv etc, but you just do other things. Speedway simply fail to attract youngsters, and the old guard has just given up on stupid rules..doubling up killed it for me, ridiculous! 

Totally agree Colin. I stayed away for a few years tfpr various reason and when I came back it had changed from 13 hts to 15hts and then stupid things like doubling up and building a team around averages lower than half the points available to a team in a match.
The nominated ht 15 really gets me though. How often have fans been cheated because the 4 best riders on the night don't come out  because 1) the match is already decided so it's meaningless, 20 riders can't be bothered or 3) as I've witnessed, a teams top rider not being used because he have to be paid more.?

The way things seem to be going there won't be a need for doubling up as there will only be one league, Maybe that will be the start to the rod to recovery?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

And they could also had Hans Andersen for Niels at Lynn with the 5% above! 

I think they’ve gone for Ellis as he is generally decent at Lynn. I would say a better bet than Hans although he obviously has more experience. Kasper is too young to be the senior reserve on the night IMO and while Aarnio or NBJ are in form they haven’t done too many laps round Lynn before. Howarth is probably the safe bet even though he’s not in great form.

The bottom line though is that we are likely to miss our injured riders a fair bit. 

I find myself asking the question do we really need the play-offs? All it seems to do is generate more income for promotions while fans have to watch teams full of guests rather than riders who put their respective team top of the league.
Wolverhampton were undoubtedly the best team in the league last season and similarly KL this yet injuries robbed Wolves  and could be a major factor in the determination of the destination of this year's Trophy too.
I detest semi and finals in 20ht individual meetings as they give riders a 2nd chance and the play-offs are the same.
Time to back to old time speedway where everything is decided the first time through.

• Like 5

absolutely. british final ruined too, come 6th on 9 points and still win! Tai winning last grand prix just the same...lets all turn up for the last heat, that's all that seems to matters!!

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

See you next year...

You obviously don't know me.     The times I have stuck up for the sport against the millions who rubbish,  I've lost count.  

How can a sport have any integrity  when,  imagining  the FA Cup  at Wembley, and the Referee scores a hat-trick against your team  , that's what happens last night... 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Are you seriously suggesting Poole riders deliberately set out to cause opposition riders to crash and sustain injuries?
Riders do ride hard sometimes but they also know that if a move doesn't pay off it could lead to serious, if not fatal, injuries to themself or other riders.

Where have I suggested that?

21 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

I find myself asking the question do we really need the play-offs? All it seems to do is generate more income for promotions while fans have to watch teams full of guests rather than riders who put their respective team top of the league.
Wolverhampton were undoubtedly the best team in the league last season and similarly KL this yet injuries robbed Wolves  and could be a major factor in the determination of the destination of this year's Trophy too.
I detest semi and finals in 20ht individual meetings as they give riders a 2nd chance and the play-offs are the same.
Time to back to old time speedway where everything is decided the first time through.

A bit of a contradiction there. We don't need play-offs, yet injuries robbed Wolves, "undoubtedly" the best team in the league - even though they didn't finish top of the table.