British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Poole v King’s Lynn Premiership Grand Final 1st leg 08/10/18

2 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Do we know if there is any chance of Iversen being back for Wednesday 

No one knows at the mo as far as I am aware.

24 minutes ago, tellboy said:

This is a problem the play-offs give you,there always seems to be injuries at the end of the season.Since play-offs began how many of the finals have both sides been at full strength?Genuine question.

Sweden and Poland have the same issue..

But they handle it very, very differently..

Hence their respective Championships carry kudos, gravitas and credibility..

With the subsequent crowd levels, national media interest and blue chip company sponsorship..

Edited by mikebv

57 minutes ago, mikebv said:

:D

Maybe to help Nige and Kelvin explain this nonsense he could be called Adam Ellis in the first match...

And Edam Allis in the second...

They could tell the audience that the 'new man' is the Dutch No1...:D

Adam Alias

The farce is the rules allowing it. This is for the Premiership title, Imagine if he scores 10 for Poole and 2 for Kings Lynn in the two fixtures? That would make the whole season a farce. Both teams please go with R/R for the sanity of the sport.

• Like 4

I know the stakes are probably high as it is the Premiership Play Off Grand Final, but the same thing happened in last years Championship KO Cup final, Nicholls guested for us (Peterborough) on the Sunday in the first leg and got 12+1 at the Showground and then guested for Ipswich in the Second leg at Foxhall on the Thursday and scored 13. So this whole farce could of been avoided after last years farce.

52 minutes ago, whippy said:

I will never understand why the play offs ever started. To me in 'the old days' back in 60s 70s whoever was top of the league at the end of the season were the winners. That is how it should still be IMO

I cannot stand all the individual meetings where riders who go through the field unbeaten have to be penalised by having to race against another 7 riders when that rider should be called champion. The same goes for any meetings where this happens.

I agree with that.

The play-offs are a bit of a money spinner though,but only for the clubs involved.It brings all the casual fans out for one or two matches.What needs to happen is to entice the casuals out for the whole season not just for the last two matches.

Not sure the play-offs actually bring out newbies though.I have tried getting people from work to come explaining about the play-offs and all the ones i have spoke to think it's a bit of a joke.All i get is you run all season finish top and have nothing to show for it and you could lose it in one match.All i can say is well yes and that's it.I don't mind the play-offs but the team finishing top of the league should at least get some kind of trophy to show for their efforts over the season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Panther1997 said:

I know the stakes are probably high as it is the Premiership Play Off Grand Final, but the same thing happened in last years Championship KO Cup final, Nicholls guested for us (Peterborough) on the Sunday in the first leg and got 12+1 at the Showground and then guested for Ipswich in the Second leg at Foxhall on the Thursday and scored 13. So this whole farce could of been avoided after last years farce.

That's why it got changed for the KO cup, shame they didn't extend it for the playoffs which is also 2 legs!! :blink:  They were just being tunnel visioned. I can live with it if the guests score similar for both teams.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Panther1997 said:

And they changed the rules after that fiasco. But guess what. They effing forgot to implement it in the Premer league playoffs hence this ridiculous situation.

Sorry Lisa you beat me to it.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 3

Lot of Passion there Shovvy, Will You be like me and follow that conviction and not bother turning up to watch either leg of the final ?

2 minutes ago, semion said:

Lot of Passion there Shovvy, Will You be like me and follow that conviction and not bother turning up to watch either leg of the final ?

Of course I will be there, but its badly tarnished. Normally pretty apprehensive for these meetings but it now feels very flat. Such a shame.

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

That's why it got changed for the KO cup, shame they didn't extend it for the playoffs which is also 2 legs!! :blink:  They were just being tunnel visioned. I can live with it if the guests score similar for both teams.

14 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

And they changed the rules after that fiasco. But guess what. They effing forgot to implement it in the Premer league playoffs hence this ridiculous situation.

Sorry Lisa you beat me to it.

I didn't know they had changed it for one and not all. That just proves how poorly ran the sport is. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

Not the first time we have been let down by Niels this season,  but there are no guests who can replace world quality.  He is irreplaceable when the chips are down.  He virtually guarantees 5-1 in both heat 13 and 15 that usually ensures a winning position.   Because of his low CMA we could never benefit from a guest like Poole have done with Kurtz .  When comparing the losses of each  team, you have to question the necessity of the Play-offs at all .   

I can't see you can guarantee 5-1 in heat 13 and 15 , Brady beat Robert Lambert in heat 13  last time at KL.

All those having a dig at me im not saying its not a farce.

But Kings Lynn have acted 100% within the rules i cant see why anyone thinks different.

What are Kings Lynn supposed to do?

Roll over? Go r/r and be weaker?

Why are Poole fans blaming Kings Lynn?

Poole have Swindons second heat leader guesting for their third heat leader

Kings Lynn have Swindons FOURTH best rider guesting for their second heat leader.............that by anyones standards is advantage Poole.

I just find it very difficult with some Poole fans saying it harms the sport........im not saying it doesnt.........but how many times have Poole cheated and bent every rule going to get an advantage.....bit rich for their fans to claim the moral high ground...and i say it once again Kings Lynn have done nothing wrong at all.

Its been stated that Allitt was looking for a long time to find a guest but if people arent willing to take the booking what are Lynn supposed to do? Just hand Poole the league.

Poole are huge favourites and this is why i dont like the play offs...................injuries to teams at the wrong time makes it a farce. Belle Vue had little chance of beating Kings Lynn......and Somerset all credit to them had little chance against Poole, and now Lynn have lost a GP star replaced by a non heat leader.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Sweden and Poland have the same issue..

But they handle it very, very differently..

Hence their respective Championships carry kudos, gravitas and credibility..

With the subsequent crowd levels, national media interest and blue chip company sponsorship..

Poland is completely different where it is the most popular sport, Sweden crowds are similar to ours judging by the attendances at most tv meetings.

7 minutes ago, Panther1997 said:

I didn't know they had changed it for one and not all. That just proves how poorly ran the sport is. 

And until something happens, like the majority boycotting these meetings and watching it on tv, these cock ups will continue with the level and checking of the rule makers of the bspa.  If the promoters are hit in the pocket they might then make sure the sport is not run with mickey mouse rules.