British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Thornaby48

Boring formula 1 racing

47 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Personally I've never really understood the fixation about the quality of the racing over many year since the introduction of speedway as a form of entertainment. It's always been variable and much of it based upon the type and shape of track and machinery and many other criteria which often dictates the standard of racing.There were good and not so good racks in my years following he sport and no doubt the same applies today. I've just re-read an interview with Joe Screen who mentioned that during his career dirt became somewhat scarce when 'lay-down' engines were introduced because they couldn't perform efficiently on heavy tracks thereby tracks became a lot slicker and racing suffered. 

That explains the crowd levels that attend meetings these days then.

• Like 2

It will depend on track size and shape. It didn't matter what you did with the Belle Vue dog track, better preparation improved the racing but it was never of the standard of Hyde Road or the NSS. It was a trick or technical, if you prefer that description, track where most passing was down to  home rider knowledge and rider mistakes. However, it now seems that grippy tracks provide processional racing and it is the slick tracks that provide exciting racing.

20 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

However, it now seems that grippy tracks provide processional racing and it is the slick tracks that provide exciting racing.

I knew the world was going mad

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I knew the world was going mad

It goes against everything we knew to be true but the proof is there. Look at King's Lynn, look at the NSS for the World Cup Final. Friday night grippy, fast but processional racing, Saturday slick, brilliant exciting entertainment with lots of passing. Diferrent bikes, different eras.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

It isn't all about the racing, is it? If there were overtakes on every bend, it would become the norm and we would, therefore, be wanting more overtakes. My attraction wasn't about exciting racing. It was about my team beating the other, whether from the gate or through overtaking. The racing didn't matter. I suppose it would if you didn't know what was going on - a first-timer perhaps. In fact, sometimes the gap between both sides scores was more entertaining than the racing, and at other times the huge difference in scores between teams in a match didn't always portray what superb racing we had seen out on the track. First out of the gate it may be, but sometimes it's the effort put in of those behind that matters.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Speaking as somebody who has been fortunate enough to attend Belle Vue and unfortunate enough to attend Leicester regularly over the last few years, given the choice I'd take the NSS every day of the week for the sheer unpredictability of the racing, you know it's going to be good but nobody is in a safe position on that track, where as the only unpredictability at Leicester is who is going to make the gate.

I used to think that making a pass should be something that is difficult (although perhaps not as difficult as at Leicester) and requires skill to complete but having witnessed Speedway at the NSS my opinion on that has changed.

Edited by iainb

A bad speedway race beats f1 everytime ,they practice for 3 days put the fastest at the front and  call it "racing" sky spent millions for the rights to f1 yet can sum it up in 1 sentance after every race "lewis hamilton lead from start to finish".luv it when the guy on the mike says such and such is 1000th of a second behind the leaader and u look hes half a lap behind with  no chance of a pass lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

A bad speedway race beats f1 everytime ,they practice for 3 days put the fastest at the front and  call it "racing" sky spent millions for the rights to f1 yet can sum it up in 1 sentance after every race "lewis hamilton lead from start to finish".luv it when the guy on the mike says such and such is 1000th of a second behind the leaader and u look hes half a lap behind with  no chance of a pass lol.

All this and sponsors flock to have their name on a car in two inch letters.

Speedway had millions and similar air time yet came out bankrupt, in the real world (outside of this forum) nobody else agrees.

• Haha 1

GP speedway racing is actually better now than ever I would say...most GP's are better than any meeting I can remember from the 70's and 80's

However both my son's have zero interest in speedway..and that's despite having an uncle that rode in the top division in the 80's and early 90's....but they are huge F1 fans...in fact my 13 year old could describe every car, every driver, every track ..and my 20 year old went to Silverstone this year for the first time and came back buzzing...ask them to stay on the same room when I'm watching speedway on TV and you've got no chance....

So I don't know what the answer is 

• Like 1

I've said this before but I enjoy most forms of motorsport, F1 can be a high-speed procession and the recent GP in Japan made the Suzuka circuit appear quite dull, which it sure ain't; many incedents have occured deciding many titles there.  But surprisingly as an ex-biker I can't abide MotoGP, BSB, Superbikes, whatever, though I love the IOM TT, or be bothered to work out the different categories of bikes or watch them queueing in single file up for lap after lap waiting for a mistake, EF or fall,  after a few laps or so I change the channel,.  But, getting to the point, I can watch F1 from beginning to end.  Boring for us to all like the same things; pinching another poster's punchline, "I'll get my coat"......

Edited by martinmauger
grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trotter65 said:

GP speedway racing is actually better now than ever I would say...most GP's are better than any meeting I can remember from the 70's and 80's

However both my son's have zero interest in speedway..and that's despite having an uncle that rode in the top division in the 80's and early 90's....but they are huge F1 fans...in fact my 13 year old could describe every car, every driver, every track ..and my 20 year old went to Silverstone this year for the first time and came back buzzing...ask them to stay on the same room when I'm watching speedway on TV and you've got no chance....

So I don't know what the answer is 

Not sure where you're watching all this great speedway in Britain or in the GP series. With the very odd exception, the speedway on TV from the UK and the GP series this year have been quite dull. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iwright71 said:

Not sure where you're watching all this great speedway in Britain or in the GP series. With the very odd exception, the speedway on TV from the UK and the GP series this year have been quite dull. 

The gp series has been dull? I can only assume you have always found speedway dull. 

Gp series has been excellent, as was the SoN. And pretty much everything from the NSS. Racing in ekstraliga has been typically good as well. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, iwright71 said:

Don't think the poster mentioned British Speedway

Yes..I cannot say I've been over thrilled with British League racing on TV this year, apart from the Belle Vue ones....but honestly I think the GP' s have in the main been quality and better than most of the fare served up back in the 70's and 80's...

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 11:46 AM, geoff100 said:

More like "we're hoping to be quicker than the other teams at the pit stops", little comment about passing them on track....

• Like 1