British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Thornaby48

Boring formula 1 racing

12 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

The gp series has been dull? I can only assume you have always found speedway dull. 

Gp series has been excellent, as was the SoN. And pretty much everything from the NSS. Racing in ekstraliga has been typically good as well. 

Which Speedway GP's from this year would get in the all time top ten ?  None of them. I've watched  5 GP's live this year and bizarrely the best GP's have been on temporary tracks, Cardiff and Warsaw. went to Krsko and Gorzow to see very little only slightly better in Torun. Regularly  watch the 2010 box set on DVD to remind me just how good it used to be.

2010 is hardly the golden period people keep going on about...people go on about racing from the 70's and 80's and the current GP meetings can beat nearly all of these meetings in my opinion...they were probably good in 2010 as well but I cannot remember but I attended 100's of meetings at all levels in the 70's and 80's and today's GP meetings can beat most of those.....League racing in England is different matter however..

6 hours ago, iwright71 said:

Which Speedway GP's from this year would get in the all time top ten ?  None of them. I've watched  5 GP's live this year and bizarrely the best GP's have been on temporary tracks, Cardiff and Warsaw. went to Krsko and Gorzow to see very little only slightly better in Torun. Regularly  watch the 2010 box set on DVD to remind me just how good it used to be.

Top 10 of all time is perhaps an unrealistic benchmark? By definition you'd expect only one such meeting every couple of seasons. There were 2 or 3 poor GPs , the rest were good to excellent imo.

Personally think the last few seasons have been amongst the very best in the gp era, and better than most world finals from 69 onwards (can't comment on pre the recording era)

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, Trotter65 said:

2010 is hardly the golden period people keep going on about...people go on about racing from the 70's and 80's and the current GP meetings can beat nearly all of these meetings in my opinion...they were probably good in 2010 as well but I cannot remember but I attended 100's of meetings at all levels in the 70's and 80's and today's GP meetings can beat most of those.....League racing in England is different matter however..

I think people look back and think there was no good World Finals. Just watched the 73 and 76 World Finals from Katowice . Some great speedway particularly from Ivan  , Ole and Peter Collins

Edited by iwright71
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

I think people look back and think there was no good World Finals. Just watched the 73 and 76 World Finals from Katowice . Some great speedway particularly from Ivan  , Ole and Peter Collins

I also think that the 1972 Final had everything...drama, controversy and some good racing.

F1 is the worst and must  stupid sport in the world ..the best drivers in cars that are fastest and better than the rest and they  also get a head start  ...but it is  still  watch by millions of people worldwide ..why I will never know .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, orion said:

F1 is the worst and stupid sport in the world ..the best drivers in cars that are fastest and better than the rest and they  also get a head start  ...but it is  still  watch by millions of people worldwide ..why I will never know .

Of course on the face of it stock cars should beat F1 easily.The best drivers start at the back don't they?And as Tai said about speedway,you can see all the action from your spot.Now if they gave the best speedway riders a head start,what would people say about the sport????:P Maybe promoters are missing a trick there.....

2 hours ago, orion said:

F1 is the worst and must  stupid sport in the world ..the best drivers in cars that are fastest and better than the rest and they  also get a head start  ...but it is  still  watch by millions of people worldwide ..why I will never know .

Pretty much spot on ^.  Mostly about the fastest cars, the rest making up the numbers, racing at 200MPH knowing you have zip chance unless 3/4 of the field drop out, gotta be soul-destroying.  A few peeps told me that for each race there should be a ballot so everyone gets a chance in every car.  Back onto speedway, maybe promoters should mix things up from time to time with handicap racing, 12 or 16 lappers, etc....

On 10/14/2018 at 11:25 PM, orion said:

Because it has been marketed supremely well. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2018 at 12:38 PM, MARK246 said:

All this and sponsors flock to have their name on a car in two inch letters.

Speedway had millions and similar air time yet came out bankrupt, in the real world (outside of this forum) nobody else agrees.

What you mean to say is 'in the real world' people are told what to like and what not to like. Folk are told Formula One is 'cool'.. Speedway is 'not'. Matters not with many what they actually genuinely prefer, they'll just follow the crowd.

33 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

What you mean to say is 'in the real world' people are told what to like and what not to like. Folk are told Formula One is 'cool'.. Speedway is 'not'. Matters not with many what they actually genuinely prefer, they'll just follow the crowd.

Correct..

Tennis is another example...

For donkeys years Britain had no chance of a Grand Slam winner yet for two weeks every summer you had hundreds of hours of coverage, watched by people who hadn't heard of 90% of competitors. Public courts actually had players on them too..

The day after the final no one gave a toss once more about Tennis until the same two weeks the year after..

Sometimes minority sports in the UK, like Tennis and Formula One, simply get their coverage down to the huge sponsorship which is attracted by its global following..

It becomes such a cash cow that it simply will never be allowed to disappear off the TV screens and newspapers regardless of the actual following..

And the reason it becomes such a cash cow is largely down to the socio economic grouping of its followers..

Plenty of A's and B's, white middle class, males and females, covering a wide demographic....

Perfect for high end companies sponsorship...

Speedway on the other hand has a somewhat different profile of followers....

On 10/14/2018 at 7:01 PM, martinmauger said:

Pretty much spot on ^.  Mostly about the fastest cars, the rest making up the numbers, racing at 200MPH knowing you have zip chance unless 3/4 of the field drop out, gotta be soul-destroying.  A few peeps told me that for each race there should be a ballot so everyone gets a chance in every car.  

But giving everyone a chance isn't what formula 1 is about is it? It's about building the best car.

Major manufacturers aren't going to invest millions to gain an advantage only to have it negated by a ballot. There is Formula Ford & Renault where everyone has equal cars but the masses aren't interested in that as it hasn't got the kudos of F1. Quality of racing isn't important these days, it's all about branding & image like everything else these days.

People who don't understand football follow teams just because they're Premier league but wouldn't watch lower league even if it was more entertaining football. Gifted musicians play in pubs and clubs while pretty boy karaoke singing dancers fill stadiums. Take the crocodile logo off a shirt and it's worthless.

Unfortunately that's the world we live in these days. Speedway isn't fashionable in the UK and all the talk of getting an independent governing body running it, close racing and consistently applied rules which may please the few purists would do nothing to attract the masses needed to make it a commercial success. People like to attach themselves to success.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

But giving everyone a chance isn't what formula 1 is about is it? It's about building the best car.

Major manufacturers aren't going to invest millions to gain an advantage only to have it negated by a ballot. There is Formula Ford & Renault where everyone has equal cars but the masses aren't interested in that as it hasn't got the kudos of F1. Quality of racing isn't important these days, it's all about branding & image like everything else these days.

People who don't understand football follow teams just because they're Premier league but wouldn't watch lower league even if it was more entertaining football. Gifted musicians play in pubs and clubs while pretty boy karaoke singing dancers fill stadiums. Take the crocodile logo off a shirt and it's worthless.

Unfortunately that's the world we live in these days. Speedway isn't fashionable in the UK and all the talk of getting an independent governing body running it, close racing and consistently applied rules which may please the few purists would do nothing to attract the masses needed to make it a commercial success. People like to attach themselves to success.

There's a lot of truth in what you say here, I watch the F1 and generally afterwards wish I hadn't, yet those that watch it rave about the quality of the F2 races... Yet I've never seen one and won't put myself out to do so.

Perhaps British Speedway should be run by an independent psychologist

Edited by iainb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45934287

Interesting poll on the Beeb for those of us who enjoy F1. You can't see the results unless you vote, but currently people are saying that Hamilton is a better driver than Senna. I'll just leave that here...

Edited by June01
Link not working