British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Thornaby48

Boring formula 1 racing

Formula 1 never attracted my attention. Speedway was a team sport, F1 was for the indiviual. The GPs and their growth over the years have  played a part in desimating speedway's domestic competition by hencroaching over into team racing.   The days have passed when speedway was a team sport. Now it is a lot of individuals merely mascarading as team members. before the GPs the individual form of racing used to be the side dish. I don't get excited about supporting a successful individual who is riding purely for himself. especially if you see glimpses of that individuality encroaging into team racing. Therefore team racing has lost identity. The true pride in the country is tarnished when both world champions in speedway and F1 deny the chance to prove their loyalty is the genuine article by committing something back. Hamilton doesn't live here for some reason (nudge nudge), while Tai chooses to turn his wheels over here when it suites What are you supporting when you cheer on these guys?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Formula 1 never attracted my attention. Speedway was a team sport, F1 was for the indiviual. The GPs and their growth over the years have  played a part in desimating speedway's domestic competition over here. Sadly the days have passed when speedway was a team sport. The individual form of racing used to be the side dish. I don't get excited about supporting a successful individual who is riding purely for himself. The true pride in the country is tarnished when both world champions in speedway and F1 deny chance to prove their loyalty is the genuine article by committing something back. Hamilton doesn't live here for some reason (nudge nudge), while Tai chooses to turn his wheels over here when it suites What are you supporting when you cheer on these guys?

Their  bank balance

Edited by fredbogge
  • Like 1

As a timed served  'Motor Nut'   I can see the merits of all  different forms of Motor sports , but  try not to makes comparisons.  They all have their own individuality.    Most of these sports are associated with racing but that's not to say they are the same.   You cant expect a F1 cars to do the same as other forms of racing, and likewise the other forms of racing,   they all have their own importance.     F1,  and MotoGP  are the pinnacle  of their sports  and all forms of motor sport can learn a lot from  their lead.    Yes of cause it sometimes is boring, but that can be labelled against any hobby and pastime.    It would be wonderful if all tracks were like NSS , and every rider was like Robert Lambert , but in truth that is just wishful thinking.

Like him or loathe him,  Lewis Hamilton is an exceptional talent.  Yes he may have the best car but he has tremendous talent to compete against the worlds best..      I despise  Marquez for the way he rubbished Rossi, depriving him of that 2016 world crown, but that doesn't blind me to his obvious ability.     In every sport,  there are angles to be appreciated, and that is what has enthralled me throughout my life.     I would find it difficult  to position them in order of enjoyment, so I'm not even bothering to try.  

Back in the 50's my first love was scrambling,   But I hadn't seen Mike Hailwood or met up with Barry Sheene then     A TT nut many years, it was much later when I was introduced to Motor Racing,     Speedway was always a local activity,  It was only in recent years when the SGP started,  did  it operate on a worldwide stage.    What a pity it is still being run by people with personal agendas.      Until that is addressed, it will never change its image of a' Mickey Mouse' sport...      

• Like 2