British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LaurenceRogers

Birmingham final meeting of 2018 v Heathens Select and Wolves Select

1 hour ago, LaurenceRogers said:

Many people thought different ... Rowe had  a few impressive rides and there was several close battles and races to the line . I suppose we all see things differently and had Joe not had so much bad luck the scores in the end  would have been even closer .As it was it almost went down to the wire between the Brummies and the Wolves Select with the sides fairly evenly balanced 

The typical blind promoters response.

The meeting was a p*** take. Naming the teams as you did was a cynical cash grab attempt that may have worked 30 odd years ago but only serves to alienate modern fans.. well those that are left and aren't already alienated.

Promoting a meeting to Wolves fans as 'desperate to see some final laps' etc is a joke. We have posters earlier in this thread, the loyalest of Wolves fans who travel the length and breadth of the country questioning why on earth CVS agreed to the Wolves name being used.

I doubt you gained anything at all from naming the teams as you did, but you certainly once again ate away some more at the integrity of the sport. 

• Like 1

What a load of rubbish Laurence rogers, fellows brum fans near me was not impressed aswell . It was awful from start to finish and ref didn't help things either.

It was good just to hear the 'Heathens Belles' on the 4th bend : ))))))))))))))

No, it wasn't a meeting that will last in my memory, but after the difficult season we've had, the promoters deserved something back and if this meeting helped them, then I'm glad!

Anders Rowe rode impressively.....it was good to see the progression of Dan Gilkes.....shame that 'Shanesy' made the gate so many times.....Ref made 1 error and that was excluding Lawlor for a first lap/ bend incident.......he let  tapes touching/moving at the start go a couple of times, which I think was of benefit to the continuity/fluidity of the meeting on a chilly (standing around) evening!

As for who rode for who and who was named who ??? it was a 'challenge' meeting, so does it really matter?

There are Cradley/Wolves fans at PB every home meeting and there's no sign of a Cradley/Wolves rider then ?

Great to see our injured 'heroes' in attendance....none more so than 'Mitch Davey'....I'm glad I stayed till the end to see him back on a back...it's helped a long way to erasing the memory of that dreadful incident back in May !

• Like 5

Well, it wasn't the most thrilling meeting I've ever been to but god I'm glad i got to watch some more racing before winter strikes! At the end of the day speedway is for entertainment and that's what we got. So I genuinely couldn't care less about the exact line-ups of the Wolves and the Heathens selects. Earlier this year we had matches in Australia with teams named Swindon Robins, Edinburgh Monarchs, Falubaz Zielona Góra and Leszno Bulls, and the sport somehow didn't collapse.

I'm glad I got to watch Shanes, Morley and Clegg, as well as Rowe, Flint, Gilkes and the incredibly impressive Kemp. Nice to see there is so much talent in the youngest generation. Well, let's see what winter brings and see you in spring!

Edited by eM_Pe
  • Like 4

Birmingham Promoters must have had Permission of Wolverhampton and Cradley to use there Team names as I assume they both had official Race Jackets, out of interest who were the Team Managers,  I’m sure it would have been Will for Cradley but what about Wolverhampton   

Have got the programme, but didn't go, A quick glance suggests no Team Managers are listed.

I would ask CVS his thoughts if I could be bothered to go the Talk-In.

After 55 years of watching Speedway  this could be the final nail for me ......

Just an observation gentlemen. Plymouth Devils held a "season end" three team tournament which was quite well attended and was a great evening's entertainment. (each team had a manager listed in the programme)

A showpiece challenge between ""the undertaker" (promoter and club owner Mark Phillips) and Team manager (Mattie Bates) proved great fun but the undertaker had been out of the saddle too long to make an impression.

For me, and many Devils fans the highlight was there was no LR involved!

I wish you all well for the close season and hope that the BSPA come up with a formula that encourages teams to sign up for the 2019 season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Heathen1984 said:

Argos, cradley or wolves had official race jackets with the club on.

That’s my point,because thay both had Official race Jackets, there respected Promoters must have  given Birmingham permission to use their names, Very amateur if no Team Managers, or more likely money saving 

1 hour ago, Heathen1984 said:

Sorry i meant they didnt have club race jackets on, was a shambles to be honest!

Well,that’s very very unprofessional and cheap,no Team Managers,No Race jackets, and from what I hear not many fans either,I dont go anymore due to that Clown Bossman, as does quite a few of my Mates, what i have heard off one that went was that it was one of the most boring meetings he as ever been to, He was keen on buying a end of Session Do Ticket But couldn’t find any information on it anywhere 

7 hours ago, Lefty said:

Have got the programme, but didn't go, A quick glance suggests no Team Managers are listed.

I would ask CVS his thoughts if I could be bothered to go the Talk-In.

After 55 years of watching Speedway  this could be the final nail for me ......

When someone as dedicated as Lefty, who travels the length and breadth of the country supporting his team speaks in this way promoters would be wise to listen. Sadly... they quite simply don't. 

10 hours ago, Argos said:

He was keen on buying a end of Session Do Ticket But couldn’t find any information on it anywhere 

It was announced several times that tickets were available from the "club shop". 

4 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

It was announced several times that tickets were available from the "club shop". 

And also that permission had been given for the  use of the Cradley and Wolves names. But I don't suppose that information will appease some people's hatred.

All riders did wear race bibs, although I don't know if they were "team" versions or not. I must admit I didn't take too much notice of the oppositions attire!! 

Edited by kitten2502