British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LaurenceRogers

Birmingham final meeting of 2018 v Heathens Select and Wolves Select

13 hours ago, Argos said:

Who is the “Cradley No 1 Management” please 

Chris van Straaten.

1 The team names were with permission of CVS.

2. The Heathens Select had riders missing and unavailable for a variety of reasons from injury to work to riding elsewhere

3. There were no team managers as the meeting ran itself as long as a rider knew the heat he was in, the colour and gate from the programme there was no tactical moves etc to be made..and these were highlighted on their pit boards

4. Each team did have body colours (none supplied by the two away clubs) but every rider had the correct numbered race jacket as per their number in the programme ...Max Clegg wore his Wolves suit whilst Drew Kemp wore a Cradley race jacket.  

Hope this all helps the doubters.

Edited by *JJ
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Argos said:

Who is the “Cradley No 1 Management” please 

I don't think it was No 1 - I think it was meant to be read as no-one.

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

4. Each team did have body colours (none supplied by the two away clubs) but every rider had the correct numbered race jacket as per their number in the programme ...Max Clegg wore his Wolves suit whilst Drew Kemp wore a Cradley race jacket.  

So the "teams" wore a random collection of body colours? Just as long as they had the right number on the back?   And they ignored the rules about a team manager having to be presenr?  Sounds like a right shambles.

Wasn't a shambles at all. Rogers and Mason looked after the riders, tho they all have programmes and mechanics to make sure their in the correct should they struggle. I would think majority of fans recognise a rider by their kevlars and helmet colour rather than the body colour too. It was an extra meeting for fans to see a bit more speedway before the winter without having teams from around the country. And for the Birmingham fans to say 'goodbye' to the riders. I don't see a problem with any of it tbh.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

So the "teams" wore a random collection of body colours? Just as long as they had the right number on the back?   And they ignored the rules about a team manager having to be presenr?  Sounds like a right shambles.

If you  weren't there, why are you whingeing?

• Like 1

I've seen far worse meetings LIVE on BT Sport this season ! So called TOP division meetings too ???

• Like 2

I find it interesting that some are saying this meeting was an affront to supporters when it was at the suggestion of a supporter that the three team format was used.

11 minutes ago, guitar_art said:

I find it interesting that some are saying this meeting was an affront to supporters when it was at the suggestion of a supporter that the three team format was used.

This forum is a constant reminder that many supporters' suggestions are an affront to many other supporters.

This wasn't a meeting which supporters of any of the three teams would have been desperate to win! The general wish of Birmingham supporters was for another meeting if, as it turned out, we missed out on the play-off's, and the 3-team match was a popular suggestion. The teams needed to be reasonably well matched, bearing in mind the fact that a number of riders from all three were either out of action through injury, or for various reasons, not available on this particular night. All three teams tracked a 3-pointer as their fourth rider, and understandably, Birmingham would have wanted to use all of their rider who were available, and couldn't be expected to put all three 3-pointers in the same team.

The Wolverhampton teams was the least representative since Nathan Greaves was out injured and none of their other men could be considered of National League standard (apart from perhaps Ashley Morris). Cradley had two more than decent top NL men in Kemp and Morley plus Joe Lawlor who had previous Cradley connections. Obviously there would have been more Heathens supporters at the meeting if their team had been stronger, but even so, there looked a fair number from both Cradley and Wolverhampton among what looked a quite good crowd for an end of season fixture filler.

The 18-heat six-rides each meant that team managers' were not needed since all of the riders could only take their programmed rides. The fact that Wolves and Cradley teams did not wear their club colours was a pity, but if their clubs did not supply them, then the Birmingham promotion couldn't be expected to conjure them up out of mid-air.

The meeting itself wasn't the best I have seen, but it was far from being the worst, and there was some pretty decent races, and after a bit of a slow start caused by a couple of early crashes, and a bit of leniency from the referee at the starts, the meeting ran through pretty well. After Joe Lawlor withdrew, Birmingham always looked comfortable winners, but things would have been a good deal closer if Lawlor had taken all his rides.

• Like 2