British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

1 hour ago, adonis said:

The Poles din't take long to Suss Doyle's firast bend bullying  and put a stop to it ,  why have they not caught on to woffinden he's done the same stunt so many times it's almost like it's scripted  . if I didn't see woffinden at the first turn i would go straight for the kerb because I would know  thats where he would be

i don't know i'm not polish :unsure:

20 hours ago, chunky said:

...and every final was held on his home track...

Steve

what in port talbot ?

22 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The GP series is basically an 'invitation' series of meetings as was often stated by no greater rider than Ivan Mauger himself.

Not really .basically is the best riders in the world riding  over a series of meetings that nearly always shows who the best rider is .The old format was a luck fest that ended up with a final that never had a chance of ever having the best 16riders in the world and always ended with  6 to 8 no hopers . it akin to a  raffle most of the time .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, orion said:

Not really .basically is the best riders in the world rider over a series of meeting that nearly always shows who the best rider is .The old format was a luck fest that ended up with a final that never had a chance of ever having the best 16riders in the world and always ended with  6 to 8 no hopers . it akin to a  raffle most of the time .

...except, of course, the GPs run, or used to run, with a system of Wild Cards and/or riders who are/were purely there for home interest and/or boosting television viewing figures or has that system been scrapped?

Edited by steve roberts

4 hours ago, adonis said:

The Poles din't take long to Suss Doyle's firast bend bullying  and put a stop to it ,  why have they not caught on to woffinden he's done the same stunt so many times it's almost like it's scripted  . if I didn't see woffinden at the first turn i would go straight for the kerb because I would know  thats where he would be

No point because they will kill their speed and he'll ride around them, seems he is the only one can stay quite so tight and still carry speed down the straight. 

4 hours ago, orion said:

Not really .basically is the best riders in the world riding  over a series of meetings that nearly always shows who the best rider is .The old format was a luck fest that ended up with a final that never had a chance of ever having the best 16riders in the world and always ended with  6 to 8 no hopers . it akin to a  raffle most of the time .

Bang on!  

10 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Bang on!  

..Yes but is it not true that in some rounds riders are seeded as was the case with this year's German Grand Prix?

As has been stated, you cannot compare eras. I'm sure all the top riders of today would have just been as good back in the day and visa versa. People who say the old world finals were pot luck, are not showing the respect the riders back then deserve. People with long memories will remember how hard the British final was. I think there were a lot of casualties over the years of top riders not progressing to the next round. Have a look at the 1970 early to mid 80s stats. only Ivan 3 times, Michael Lee twice and Kenny Carter twice were multi winners.

Total different mind set needed in both eras. Back then the pressure of qualifying to get to the world final was fraught with danger for the top boys. Every round could throw up a banana skin and if you did get to the final, you only got 5 rides to get it spot on. one mistake and generally speaking it was curtains. 

Today is all about being consistent, you can have a bad meeting and it will not affect you too much. To win over a season you still need the whole package and TW has certainly proved that.

Anyway lets all enjoy TW success and say he is the Best British rider in the GP era, but of all time? open to a never ending debate.

• Like 1

Thing about GPs is that one can win the World Title without winning a meeting, or even making half the finals.

Whether that's right is down to opinion.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Barney Rabbit said:

Thing about GPs is that one can win the World Title without winning a meeting, or even making half the finals.

I really don’t see the problem.Baring injury the best rider wins in the end and has the bottle to take the title.In a one day final just as in the GPs you get to a situation where you realize you can win the title and lesser riders lose their bottle whilst champs don’t

26 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I really don’t see the problem.Baring injury the best rider wins in the end and has the bottle to take the title.In a one day final just as in the GPs you get to a situation where you realize you can win the title and lesser riders lose their bottle whilst champs don’t

And Woffinden didn't :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

..Yes but is it not true that in some rounds riders are seeded as was the case with this year's German Grand Prix?

Every GP has a local "wild card".  However, those wild cards can not become World Champion.

Steve

2 hours ago, Barney Rabbit said:

As with any GP system or league format, the winner is the one with the most points...

Steve

28 minutes ago, chunky said:

As with any GP system or league format, the winner is the one with the most points...

Steve

Not 100% true, as tonight result proved. TW won the meeting scoring 5pts less than Laguta 

• Thanks 1

I think the one offs would have suited Tai even more, the Poles seem to crumble under pressure

• Like 3