British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

Does it really matter what formula was is right be it that of the 60’s 70’s or 80’s.

Riders and machines cannot be compared across the decades and should we all not be grateful that we have a UK or English world champion and the fact that he has won three titles puts him as the best this country has had.

The Poles for once are not number one.

Tai is young enough to chase those six titles and he has ambition. The sport has a bit more coverage on TV news and in the papers thanks to him winning the title. The other problems in the sport and attracting a new audience is down to the powers that be who run the sport. The guys on the track generally do their job and the rest is out of their control.

You do not get much to cheer about in British speedway but this is one bright spot when the domestic scene has been a disaster and without some serious changes by the BSPA, not even Tai can save the sport and they should not ride on his coat tails. They did nothing to actively promote a British rider but they are happy to try and reap the benefit of his success. Well done Tai, you have come a long  way in a short space of time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

Reading this thread it appears that the best thing to do if you don't like the product is to not bother watching speedway.

Taking low attendances, at British speedway meetings, into consideration, it appears that a lot of people, who once attended speedway in this country, don't like the product.

the product is wrong, as stated earlier, why pay more to watch worse riders? doubling up is beyond the joke, no crowd pullers, same riders different race jackets

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

I haven't said any opinion of what 'might' have happened. It is you that is saying what might have happened.

I am stating what did happen. What happened is Woffinden knew the rules of the GP and Woffinden won the GP. 

You are claiming what 'might' have happened in a different competition with different rules. 

Yet again you have to make something up to try and justify your non existent argument.

I'm on about 'a different competition with different rules' because that's what I answered a post about a while ago.

Edited by Barney Rabbit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

But Craven had a style that maybe wasn't equipped for other tracks abroad.His record seems to suggest he wasn't that great,at least in major finals.1 world individual and 4 WTc finals abroad

And the point I am making is more often than not in domestic meetings at or against Wimbledon Craven was beaten when he met the better riders.Hardly beat Briggo,Ronnie and Peter Moore all season,but did much better against the lesser riders.

That's you opinion and recollection about a very limited number of meetings. My recollection is that the top 4, Fundin, Moore, Craven and Briggs often beat each other. Also, I can't believe that Craven, who was supreme at Hyde Road, which was similar in size and shape to the continental tracks, would not have adapted to them if he raced there regularly.

If you want to look at the facts and compare performances of those top 4 riders in the UK during the years 1955 - 1963, rather than just those meetings involving Wimbledon  then in order of averages during those years;

Fundin finished first on 4 occasions and second on 2 occasions,

Moore finished first on 3 occasions and second on 1, but didn't race in 1957

Craven finished first on 1 occasion and second on 5 and

Briggs finished first on 1 occasion and second on 1.

Not a lot between them, Fundin being the best overall and Briggs having significantly fewer seasons in the top 2 than the others.

But you can't argue the fact that of the 5 major finals not at Wembley that Craven rode in he wasn't great in any of them.10th in the world final and I think 8 pts from a possible 12 was his best in a WTC final.That over a period of a few years.He didn't adapt.Briggs and Fundin even Moore were better as was Knutson

1 hour ago, Barney Rabbit said:

I'll keep believing that, after five rides each, two riders had scored more points than Woffinden and we'll keep it at that.

Which is completely irrelevant...

Steve

• Like 1

Much to my surprise BBC , in this weeks "10 Best Sporting Pictures" have a Photo of TAI !! Fame for Speedway ?? 

Edited by Icicle

It amazes me how short-sighted people are when they say, "Oh, it's a lot easier to win this way blah, blah, blah.." or it was "More difficult in those days blah blah blah..."

If it is "easier for Tai", then it is EASIER FOR EVERYONE!

If it was "More difficult back then" then it was MORE DIFFICULT FOR EVERYONE BACK THEN!

Whatever system/format is used, ALL riders go into it with the same chances!  They ALL know the format, but like it or loathe it, it is the same for everyone!

Jeez...

Steve

• Like 3

6 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

If last Saturday had been a World Final Tai would not have won. Under the old system there were many chances to fail...one bad round and your dream was over for that year. Under the new system Tai had 10 chances to rack up the points so could afford a bad round or two.

I am not knocking Tai...I have the utmost admiration for his skill and dedication. I just feel that if you are one of the chosen 15 each year you have a better chance of becoming World Champion than was the case pre-1995.

Is Tai the best British rider ever?...probably.

Why would he have not have  won ? ..what you got to remember he never had to win ..he rode with a mind set to get enough points  win  overall  Your right under the old system you had to be lucky to win rather than pure skill and fairness now .

Just now, orion said:

Why would he have not have  won ? ..what you got to remember he never had to win ..he rode with a mind set to get enough points  win  overall  Your right under the old system you had to be lucky to win rather than pure skill and fairness now .

Who was lucky to become world champion?

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

People are missing the point. In fact you are making the point made even stronger.

A GP system eliminates everything you have just said above. 

I pointed out Muller that on reflection Muller wasn't necessarily the surprise winner 1983, if GP system was in operation back then he may well have won a German round.   Old World Finals and modern GPs totally different of course: almost sprint vs a marathon.  It could be argued Tai was a surprise winner in 2013, doubt many expected him to turn his form around in such dramatic fashion from his previous GP series appearences though obviously he's more than proved his consistency....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling 2x

4 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

Who was lucky to become world champion?

not worth it mate....they think mauger had luck to win 6 times, nothing to do with talent

1 minute ago, ColinMills said:

not worth it mate....they think mauger had luck to win 6 times, nothing to do with talent

Once again, making something up to try and justify a failed argument.

2 hours ago, Barney Rabbit said:

sYou keep seeing your opinion of what might have happened had last Saturday's meeting been run under the old system as fact and I'll keep believing that, after five rides each, two riders had scored more points than Woffinden and we'll keep it at that.

But it was not one off meeting thou ..different mindset ..how hard can it be to understand that ...Woffy understand what it takes takes to win a gp series and rides each meeting with that in mind .

Tell him that has to win the meeting and he would adjust 

Edited by orion