British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday nite's GP,  went down to the wire, loads of pressure, almost like a World Final....

5 minutes ago, ColinMills said:

not worth it mate....they think mauger had luck to win 6 times, nothing to do with talent

So childish ..no one has said that at all .

2 minutes ago, orion said:

But it was not one off meeting thou ..different mindset ..how hard can it be to understand that ...

Don't even ask, because we all know the answer to that...

Steve

2 minutes ago, orion said:

But it was not one off meeting thou ..different mindset ..how hard can it be to understand that ...Woffy understand what it takes takes to win a gp series and rides each meeting with that in mind .

Tell him that has to win the meeting and he would adjust 

But the argument for your side of the debate 'not you personally' State that certain riders were lucky in certain years to become world champion because they did not dominate the qualifying rounds and as such were not the best rider of that year, but they just like TW done enough to get to the final and performed on the night when it mattered. Same mind set different format

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

Who was lucky to become world champion?

Where do  you want   to start ...muller and that pole would never had made the final if they had not been in the easy part of the draw .or won  with a massive home track  advantage ..a farce to be honest 

Edited by orion

5 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

But the argument for your side of the debate 'not you personally' State that certain riders were lucky in certain years to become world champion because they did not dominate the qualifying rounds and as such were not the best rider of that year, but they just like TW done enough to get to the final and performed on the night when it mattered. Same mind set different format

Completely incorrect.

Tai was only able to have that mindset as he had done the work in earlier rounds, ALL of which count. 

There are many riders who were lucky to win World Titles over the years, not because they weren't the best rider in the world, or close too, but quite simply because in a one off final luck can play a major part. 

Exclusions for and against, machine failures, other riders falling causing re-runs, meeting riders at the right time of the meeting compared to others and many more factors could play a big part. Of course, that was all part of the 'excitement' and 'tension' on the night and why we ALL remember the World Finals so fondly.

You had to be good enough to get yourself in the position, but often then just needed that bit of luck to get you over the line.

Edited:

To clarify, being 'lucky' to win the World Final doesn't mean you weren't the best rider or that it wasn't deserved.. it's just a reality, you very often needed that slice of luck.

Edited by BWitcher

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Completely incorrect.

Tai was only able to have that mindset as he had done the work in earlier rounds, ALL of which count. 

There are many riders who were lucky to win World Titles over the years, not because they weren't the best rider in the world, or close too, but quite simply because in a one off final luck can play a major part. 

Exclusions for and against, machine failures, other riders falling causing re-runs, meeting riders at the right time of the meeting compared to others and many more factors could play a big part. Of course, that was all part of the 'excitement' and 'tension' on the night and why we ALL remember the World Finals so fondly.

You had to be good enough to get yourself in the position, but often then just needed that bit of luck to get you over the line.

I give up, you have battered me into surrender with so many facts which i might add are all correct 'in your head anyway. I bow to your far superior knowledge of the sport and bid you good night.

6 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

Would these riders like muller etc win a gp series in there year over 12 rounds ? the answer is no  ..Woffy could win a gp series and could win a one off final 

8 minutes ago, ColinMills said:

well to answer the title of the thread...BEST EVER....mauger / ricko

AGAIN, please try to stay relevant.

This thread is about Tai being the best BRITISH rider ever, and you KNOW that - troll...

Steve

• Like 1

Just now, chunky said:

AGAIN, please try to stay relevant.

This thread is about Tai being the best BRITISH rider ever, and you KNOW that - troll...

Steve

well that's OBVIOUS! thread ends!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

I give up, you have battered me into surrender with so many facts which i might add are all correct 'in your head anyway. I bow to your far superior knowledge of the sport and bid you good night.

You give up because you've been wrong from the start and every single argument you've put forward has shown that.

There's interview after interview available in sources such as Backtrack where riders will tell you, on World Final night you need the rub of the green. There's races resulting in exclusions that could have gone either way that are still debated 30+ years later, one rider was lucky, the other not... but nope.. you decide there was no luck involved. Staggering!

12 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Again, Ermolenko is the one that sticks in my mind.  Olsen in 78...

Steve

18 minutes ago, ColinMills said:

well to answer the title of the thread...BEST EVER....mauger / ricko

Well.. as Tai is still riding.. and he has 3 World Titles to 1 against Mauger at the same age.. he's ahead of him already :)

Well.. as Tai is still riding.. and he has 3 World Titles to 1 against Mauger at the same age.. he's ahead of him already :)

john louis hadn't started til 28.....look what he achieved!.....no, not compering him with Tai.. but if you believe Tai better than Mauger (at the moment)...3 2 1, back in the room!