British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

Great achievement by Woffy. Never seen so much national press coverage of the sport, even in the Mail and Independent. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iainb said:

The poles have only been number 1 twice in the history of the sport... 

Not true. "A Pole" has only been number one twice, but as a nation, "the Poles" have been number 1 thirteen times.

If you think I am splitting hairs, then you try convincing everyone that Britain is the strongest speedway nation currently...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

If you think I am splitting hairs, then you try convincing everyone that Britain is the strongest speedway nation currently...

Steve

That's Russia

41 minutes ago, iainb said:

That's Russia

Ah, okay! So Britain is the SECOND strongest speedway nation, then?

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

Ah, okay! So Britain is the SECOND strongest speedway nation, then?

Steve

You got it... Clue was in the title, Speedway of Nations :D

And in the Poles own back yard, lead by Britain's greatest ever speedway rider!

17 hours ago, iainb said:

And in the Poles own back yard, lead by Britain's greatest ever speedway rider!

• Rosco? Surely not. :D
Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally, I don't think Woffinden is the best ever British rider, in the same way that I don't see Lewis Hamilton as the best ever British racing driver

They both have access to machinery far and away ahead in terms of performance of that which the likes of Craven, Crutcher, Brett, Boocock N, Carter, Loram, Betts etc / Hawthorn, Collins, Moss, Surtees, Hill (father & son) etc could even dream of

Woffinden is the best in 2018, of that I have little doubt, but comparison with those from the past is almost impossible to gauge

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Personally, I don't think Woffinden is the best ever British rider, in the same way that I don't see Lewis Hamilton as the best ever British racing driver

They both have access to machinery far and away ahead in terms of performance of that which the likes of Craven, Crutcher, Brett, Boocock N, Carter, Loram, Betts etc / Hawthorn, Collins, Moss, Surtees, Hill (father & son) etc could even dream of

Woffinden is the best in 2018, of that I have little doubt, but comparison with those from the past is almost impossible to gauge

I think you are right to see parallels with Woffinden and Hamilton.

Both made it to the top the hard way, both have been World Champion more than any other Brit in their sport and - for whatever reason - both their successes stick in the craw of some of the more "traditional" supporters in their sports.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Midland Red said:

But the the likes of Carter and Collins always had access to top equipment, certainly the equal of their main rivals. 

Let's face it some of those you have named are nowhere near the quality of Tai 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Midland Red said:

so does his rivals... not sure what the point is here. 

• Like 2

When you see the difference in performance between some rider's and 'Polish Power' it's quite miraculous that Woffinden is even World Champion at all in 2018.

It just thankful that the Poles struggle with pressure as individual rider's as the speed they generate from their equipment is odd compared to the rest.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:22 PM, auntie doris said:

Great achievement by Woffy. Never seen so much national press coverage of the sport, even in the Mail and Independent. 

YOU'RE obviously a mere youngster... good to see however.

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

When you see the difference in performance between some rider's and 'Polish Power' it's quite miraculous that Woffinden is even World Champion at all in 2018.

It just thankful that the Poles struggle with pressure as individual rider's as the speed they generate from their equipment is odd compared to the rest.

TAI has a Polish tuner

Tbf it's only Zmarzlik whose speed seems on another planet.

Woffy is as quick as any of the other poles.

Have to say in the final gp I was wondering how it was possible Zmarzlik could be so quick...

• Like 1