British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

23 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

My favourite riders will always be Ross, Mort, PC, Smudger and the Moran brothers.  But it doesn't stop me from enjoying the riders of today.

I would agree 100%.... We all had our favourites when growing up "PC was mine" I am a London lad, so the only time i got to see him was at Wimbledon and the big meetings at White City.

I like you, love watching the top riders of today. Theres no doubt these top riders of today are just as talented on a speedway bike as the big guns of yesteryear. "just different eras" 

I think a lot of us oldies, do look back with rose tinted glasses. We had bigger crowds, bigger leagues and when you look at the state of British speedway today compared with then, its rather easy to get defensive when it gets criticised.

The British league of the 70's imo is the equivalent of the Polish extra ligua today. If they were only 8 teams back in the 70s like there is now in Poland. Could you imagine how strong it would have been. Unfortunately I think British speedway has run its course as an out and out professional sport. A massive shake up in the winter is the only thing that can save it. 

• Like 4

Just now, tyler42 said:

I think a lot of us oldies, do look back with rose tinted glasses. We had bigger crowds, bigger leagues and when you look at the state of British speedway today compared with then, its rather easy to get defensive when it gets criticised.

The British league of the 70's imo is the equivalent of the Polish extra ligua today. If they were only 8 teams back in the 70s like there is now in Poland. Could you imagine how strong it would have been. Unfortunately I think British speedway has run its course as an out and out professional sport. A massive shake up in the winter is the only thing that can save it. 

This is the point, nobody is criticising it.

The point is though, if the league was split up more back in those days, lets say with an 8 team top league and the other teams in lower leagues it wouldn't be remembered as being anywhere near as strong. 

• Like 2

Agree with most of that, though if there were only 8 teams in the BL in the 70s with the same pool of riders it would actually have made a number of posters on here think it was weaker! 

I disagree on the last sentence though - people have been saying that for years but speedway is still here. Don't disagree on the need for a major overhaul though.

Edited by waiheke1
Clarification
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Edit: my post was in response to Tyler.  Didnt want to quote  the lengthy post in full

I got there after a few seconds mulling over what my re-reading my last sentence a couple of times :)

I agree people have been saying it for years in relation to British speedway but I do think it is rapidly approaching a critical point. It's very very sad. From a Wolves point of view, in another time we'd be sitting there with the World No 1 and 3 in our ranks. Now.. well.. there are some who think it makes no difference to the crowds, the ever increasing gaps at Monmore say otherwise.

• Like 1

Tai the best ever, in this era I would say yes. ALL time best ever hard to say, me personally from watching speedway from 1968, such a list of who could argue the best ever. I would have to put Mauger & Olsen right up the top of the list. Then you can look at Hans & Eric in the next batch of riders, how many more WC was left in Eric ? I certainly think a few more! Then the Rickardsson Crump era, one cannot deny the achievements of Tony that COULD make him the best EVER. But for me, the best ever rider to grace a speedway track would have to be Gollob

1 hour ago, sommelier said:

Tai the best ever, in this era I would say yes. ALL time best ever hard to say, me personally from watching speedway from 1968, such a list of who could argue the best ever. I would have to put Mauger & Olsen right up the top of the list. Then you can look at Hans & Eric in the next batch of riders, how many more WC was left in Eric ? I certainly think a few more! Then the Rickardsson Crump era, one cannot deny the achievements of Tony that COULD make him the best EVER. But for me, the best ever rider to grace a speedway track would have to be Gollob

Okay, I think you are misunderstanding this thread,but that is understandable with some of the stuff being posted here!

The thread was actually talking about Woffinden being the best ever BRITISH rider. Nobody is saying that he is up there with Mauger, Fundin, and Rickardsson. Yet!  That remains to be seen, and only time will tell, but his achievements on the world stage have clearly exceeded those of any other previous British rider.

Steve

Fair to say Woffy is knocking on the door of top 10 of all time though (imo).

Of the three times world champs id have him behind Crump and probably Olsen, but ahead of Gundersen and Nicki P. 

Ahead of all double world champs with possible exceptions of Young and Moore. And maybe ahead of Hancock. 

9 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

and won't let anyone else have an onion. 

I love onion's :lol:

Edited by iainb
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yet riders such as Tatum say how much harder the modern machine is to ride.

So again, your argument fails you and strengthens that which you are arguing against.

Tatum would say that. He finished his career before the modern machines came about and it is al new to him, plus the few pounds he's added and age of course. But eh, if Kelvin says it... let's take it as read, despite constantly criticising what he and Nigel spout on about on a weekly basis. But if it backs your opinion, let's go for it.

On the other hand, Rob Ledwith returned to action without much trouble the other week, 10 points from four starts I believe, despite not having ridden speedway in 20 years or so. It would be interesting to see if he rode a modern bike or an older one. But it does make you think, why spend all the money on newfound improvements for the machines if they are only going to be harder to ride? Doesn't make sense.

Edited by moxey63

It isn't all about titles being won, but who those titles were won against. 

Edited by moxey63

It's all about facts and opinions - sadly some on here cannot tell the difference

it is a fact that Tai has won three world individual titles (courtesy OOFC)

It is an opinion that Tai is the best British rider of all time

6 hours ago, sommelier said:

Gollob simply cannot come into the equation, nowhere close to being best ever. If he truly was 'the best ever' or 'the most talented' then he was a complete bottle job.. which rules him out of any best ever conversation.

51 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

It isn't all about titles being won, but who those titles were won against. 

We know, you keep saying, without realising that's only strengthening Tai's case.

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Tatum would say that. He finished his career before the modern machines came about and it is al new to him, plus the few pounds he's added and age of course. But eh, if Kelvin says it... let's take it as read, despite constantly criticising what he and Nigel spout on about on a weekly basis. But if it backs your opinion, let's go for it.

On the other hand, Rob Ledwith returned to action without much trouble the other week, 10 points from four starts I believe, despite not having ridden speedway in 20 years or so. It would be interesting to see if he rode a modern bike or an older one. But it does make you think, why spend all the money on newfound improvements for the machines if they are only going to be harder to ride? Doesn't make sense.

Sam Ermolenko also says the same thing. 

When have I ever criticised Tatum and his knowledge of mechanical issues?