British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

11 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

Tai Woffinden is an exceptional rider who is certainly a worthy multiple world champion in the current era. Good luck to him and he has achieved more than  he (probably) thought he would.

I don't personally think that he is a genuine all time great, but that's not his problem - he's proved that he can be consistently good at the top level in current times.

Would he be as dominant if he had six to ten genuine world title  contenders (as opposed to a couple) like the Nielsens / Gundersens / Collins / Penhall had, I'm not so sure, but it's all a matter of opinion.

He has just as many 'genuine' World Title contenders, if not more.

I don't see six to ten 'genuine World Title contenders' in the 85 World Final for instance.

I mean Ermolenko, someone not even riding in Europe managed to tie for 1st place!

Kai Niemi 4th??

Don't see anywhere near six to ten in 84 either.. Lance King 3rd? Mitch Shirra 5th? Bo Petersen? Karl Maier?

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Don't see many of the current GP riders being able to be consistent enough to win over a season - but in a one off world final there were often around ten riders who 'could' put it together in one night.

Most of the current GP riders can win a GP. but very few are professional enough to do what Tai / Greg do which is to be consistent and win a championship

8 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

Don't see many of the current GP riders being able to be consistent enough to win over a season - but in a one off world final there were often around ten riders who 'could' put it together in one night.

Most of the current GP riders can win a GP. but very few are professional enough to do what Tai / Greg do which is to be consistent and win a championship

There certainly weren't anywhere near ten in 84-85 as already illustrated.

Edited by BWitcher

14 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I don't see six to ten 'genuine World Title contenders' in the 85 World Final for instance.

I mean Ermolenko, someone not even riding in Europe managed to tie for 1st place!

Kai Niemi 4th??

Don't see anywhere near six to ten in 84 either.. Lance King 3rd? Mitch Shirra 5th? Bo Petersen? Karl Maier?

As you probably already know, Erik is for me what Sam is for you, but you are spot on with your comments here.

There was lots of talk around the 84 World Final about how it was very weak as a lot of the big names had been lost to the sport or were out injured...Penhall, Lee, Olsen, Carter and Sigalos are the ones that spring to mind but I'm sure there were others. 

Erik and Hans made that era their own, but it certainly wasn't the strongest period in speedway history. 

• Like 1

Indeed HW.. and tbf I have the utmost respect for both Erik and Hans. Riders you genuinely feared when at the tapes against your team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garry1603 said:

Tai Woffinden is an exceptional rider who is certainly a worthy multiple world champion in the current era. Good luck to him and he has achieved more than  he (probably) thought he would.

I don't personally think that he is a genuine all time great, but that's not his problem - he's proved that he can be consistently good at the top level in current times.

Would he be as dominant if he had six to ten genuine world title  contenders (as opposed to a couple) like the Nielsens / Gundersens / Collins / Penhall had, I'm not so sure, but it's all a matter of opinion.

In a GP format from 84-89 they would have battled s Moran some years, Carter in 85, Jan o in 88. Reality is their genuine competition of the same era left the sport prematurely.

Some other decent riders, but you would struggle to convince me that Knudsen, Tatum, Wigg,Ermolenko are significantly tougher than Safuydinov, Doyle, Zmarzlik, Janowski.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moxey63 said:

You probably didn't watch all the riders you're professing Woffinden to be better than. 

Yet again you tell everyone that you don't watch or follow speedway so how do you know ?

Edited by orion

6 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

In a GP format from 84-89 they would have battled s Moran some years, Carter in 85, Jan o in 88. Reality is their genuine competition of the same era left the sport prematurely.

Some other decent riders, but you would struggle to convince me that Knudsen, Tatum, Wigg,Ermolenko are significantly tougher than Safuydinov, Doyle, Zmarzlik, Janowski.

Don't forget Billy Sanders who was genuinely  thought to be a threat in 1984 but failed at Gothenburg after a superlative effort in the previous year's World Pairs Final at the same venue. Billy was riding probably at his peak during 1984 and early 1985 before he tragically took his own life.

8 hours ago, orion said:

Yet again you tell everyone that you don't watch or follow speedway so how do you know ?

OK, Einstein, we've already sussed that.

But I must also add that although I don't sit and watch the speedway on whichever channel it's on, it is usually on in the background, so I am more in tune with someone who doesn't care. I also have the Speedway Star every week so at least I still care somewhat

So, here's a question for all you would-be promoters looking to attract extra fans.

Why do you tell people who don't have the same opinion as you to just go away? Isn't that why the terraces are so sparse and tracks will fold at an alarming rate over the next 10 years.

Telling people who have 40-odd years' watching the sport to go away, their views don't count, we know best, is why, in part, we are where we are...  I'm an idiot, I still have one toe of interest in there. Thousands took your advice, and there's a thread elsewhere asking why speedway is in such a state and its approaching yet another winter of crisis talks.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

There certainly weren't anywhere near ten in 84-85 as already illustrated.

The way it felt from 84 until the end of the 80's was, effectively, is Hans Nielsen going to win or is he going to mess it up? And, if he messed it up you pretty well knew that Erik Gundersen would win instead, even though Nielsen was obviously the better rider.

There were no other serious contenders a few years there.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Grachan said:

The way it felt from 84 until the end of the 80's was, effectively, is Hans Nielsen going to win or is he going to mess it up? And, if he messed it up you pretty well knew that Erik Gundersen would win instead, even though Nielsen was obviously the better rider.

Serious contenders (only those that made the final):

84 Billy Sanders

85 Sam Ermolenko

86 Tommy Knudsen, Kelvin Tatum, Sam Ermolenko, Jimmy Nilsen

87 Sam Ermolenko, Jimmy Nilsen

88 Sam Ermolenko, Jimmy Nilsen, Simon Wigg, Kelvin Tatum, Jan O Pedersen, Per Jonsson

89 Tommy Knudsen, Simon Wigg, Kelvin Tatum, Jeremy Doncaster

You could permutate all the above names through all the above years as in the old style lottery qualification not all of these quality riders made all of the finals

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grachan said:

So true! 

As a big Chris Morton fan, I remember the 1984 BLRC well. He, Nielsen and Gundersen were set up for the three rider run off. Before the race, my folks said; “right, we just need to pray for Gundersen to touch the tapes and Nielsen to pack up”.

And so it came to pass...and there was great joy from the Belle Vuenians all across the Hyde Road lands :-)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

84 Billy Sanders

85 Sam Ermolenko

88 Sam Ermolenko, Jimmy Nilsen, Simon Wigg, Kelvin Tatum, Jan O Pedersen, Per Jonsson

You could permutate all the above names through all the above years as in the old style lottery qualification not all of these quality riders made all of the finals

The only rider there that I would possibly consider as a serious contender would be Billy Saunders in 1984 - and that was only before the meeting as the Nielsen/Gundersen era quickly evolved.

I was a dedicated Swindon fan, but wouldn't really consider Jimmy Nilsen as one until, maybe, 1990 - and Per Jonsson soon put a stop to that.

It really was all about Hans and Erik for those 5 or 6 years.

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

84 Billy Sanders

85 Sam Ermolenko

84&85 S Moran was the real threat. Sanders was fancied by some in 84. 

Ermolenko would have been probably 12tg favourite of the 16 finalists in 85!

86 neither Tatum or Nielsen were expected to trouble the Danes 

87/88 Maybe Sam and Jan O. At a push Tatum in 88

Not convinced by any of those for 89.

And over a full gp season? Moran in 84/85, Carter 85, Jan o 88. That's it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Grachan said:

84&85 S Moran I believe was favourite