72 Ivan May get 13 pts

73 Jerzy Szczakiel 13 pts

78 Ole Olsen 13 pts

85 Erik Gundersen 13 pts

90 Per Jonsson 13 pts

93 Sam Ermolenko 12 pts

94 Tony Rickardsson 12 pts

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

And how many of those were on 3 or 4 points after 2 rides (if any)......

Erik in '85 certainly,he went 1,3,3,3,3 then won the three way run off.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Andrew said:

To have the mental strength to overcome that first ride and win shows why he is a truly great rider. In the one off there was no meeting in two weeks time.

35 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Good call

Do you have the stats for the top 4 after heat 8 and the position Erik was in?

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I reckon the lowest score you can win an old style world final on was 9 and then win a run off... Meaning it's possible to get 5 seconds to score 10 to beat that... I'm sure there's a mathematician out there who can prove me right!

... Not to mention progressing through all of the qualifying rounds without winning a race

Actually, assuming that there are at least three finishers in every race, a standard 20-heat, 16-rider meeting can be won on 8 points (with a run off - or series of run-offs)!  There are a total of 120 points available, and without doing all the work, I am sure it is possible for a 9-point return to win WITHOUT a run off!

Steve

• Thanks 1

The 1951 Final was also similar.In fact the top 2 in the end were on 4 after 2 rides.Two riders had 6 points and one ended up 7th and in fact the rider that had 12 after 4 rides then finished last in his 5th and 3 rd out of 3 in the run off for the title!!!Blew it big time.The rider who finished 4th,Ronnie Moore also had 4 after 2 rides

The 1956 final,the top 5 in the end all had 4 after hit 8.Boothroyd was in the lead  with 5 and ended up 10th!!

Edited by iris123

6 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Good call

Do you have the stats for the top 4 after heat 8 and the position Erik was in?

6 - Nielsen
5 - Ermolenko
5 - Niemi
4 - Gundersen
4 - Knudsen
4 - Moran
4 - Pedersen

Steve

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The 1951 Final was also similar.In fact the top 2 in the end were on 4 after 2 rides.Two riders had 6 points and one ended up 7th and in fact the rider that had 12 after 4 rides then finished last in his 5th and 3 rd out of 3 in the run off for the title!!!Blew it big time.The rider who finished 4th,Ronnie Moore also had 4 after 2 rides

I was waiting for someone to mention Jack Biggs!

Steve

Thanks Chunky

Your insight seems to back up that any winner on the one off final has been at least tied for 4th after 2 rides.....

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I seem to recall that Ermolemko was the first rider to run a last and still take the title and of course in his case he knew it didnt matter

Just now, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Thanks Chunky

Your insight seems to back up that any winner on the one off final has been at least tied for 4th after 2 rides.....

Um, you have now given me a task!  I love going through stats, and I hadn't actually thought about this one!

On the flip side, what about Ken McKinlay in 1969?  After 12 heats, he was in fourth place on 7 points, but then ran two lasts.

Steve

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I seem to recall that Ermolemko was the first rider to run a last and still take the title and of course in his case he knew it didnt matter

Well, there have only been three 12-point winners; Young, Ermolenko, and Rickardsson.

Oh, and nobody has mentioned the other well-known anomaly.  Bluey Wilkinson scoring a 15 point max in the World Final, and only finishing third!

Steve

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Oh, and nobody has mentioned the other well-known anomaly.  Bluey Wilkinson scoring a 15 point max in the World Final, and only finishing third!

Steve

Think you must have missed my post from a couple of hours ago!!!!

Okay, 1956 final...

After eight heats, Briggo and Eric Boothroyd were joint leaders on five points.

Fundin (eventual winner), Moore, Forrest, Craven, and Crutcher were all on four points.

Neither Briggo nor Boothroyd finished on the rostrum.

Steve

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Think you must have missed my post from a couple of hours ago!!!!

:blush::blush::blush: