British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Okay, 1956 final...

After eight heats, Briggo and Eric Boothroyd were joint leaders on five points.

Fundin (eventual winner), Moore, Forrest, Craven, and Crutcher were all on four points.

Neither Briggo nor Boothroyd finished on the rostrum.

Steve

You taking the piss now.Mentioned that one as well

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

You taking the piss now.Mentioned that one as well

Dammit!  Have to get some new glasses!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pretty sure that nobody has mentioned Gustafsson being joint leader after 12 heats in 1990 - and only finishing sixth...

Steve

Kenny Carter's world final  record of never having less than 8 points after 3 rides (So at the interval, placed 2nd,1st,2nd) - yet never made the rostrum!

41 minutes ago, chunky said:

Actually, assuming that there are at least three finishers in every race, a standard 20-heat, 16-rider meeting can be won on 8 points (with a run off - or series of run-offs)!  There are a total of 120 points available, and without doing all the work, I am sure it is possible for a 9-point return to win WITHOUT a run off!

Steve

Yes. Posted this 20 minutes before you :rofl:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, iainb said:

It only took one race for Jason Doyle to lose the world title in 2016

Except that it didn't.  He lost the title by 16 points.  Had Doyle scored better in previous rounds (most notably in Warsaw and Horsens, where he scored 5 and 7 respectively), he could easily have had things wrapped up by the time he got injured.

Seems a long shot, but look at the 1970 F1 season.  Jochen Rindt was tragically killed at Monza, but he had already opened such a lead that nobody was able to catch him in the remaining races.

When you have ONE slip-up in only five rides, there is no way back, but over a season, there are opportunities.

Steve

For the 80s, atvvthe interval, position of world chsmp:

1980/81/83/88/89: 1st

86: 1st equal 

82:2nd

84: 2nd=

85/87: 3rd=

7 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Yes. Posted this 20 minutes before you :rofl:

But you didn't actually state that it could be won on 8!  Some of these people need things to be spelled out to them...

Like one of my fave scenarios.  It is possible to win EVERY GP, and not finish in the Top 8 at the end of the season!!!

Steve

28 minutes ago, chunky said:

Okay, 1956 final...

After eight heats, Briggo and Eric Boothroyd were joint leaders on five points.

Fundin (eventual winner), Moore, Forrest, Craven, and Crutcher were all on four points.

Neither Briggo nor Boothroyd finished on the rostrum.

Steve

Droppimg from the lead after heat 8 was common:

1980 final had Penhall and Thomsen tied for the lead with Lee. Neither made the podium. 

81 Jessup was tied for first, didnt make the rostrum, likewise Carter in 82, Ermolenko 88, Tatum 89. 

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

But you didn't actually state that it could be won on 8!  Some of these people need things to be spelled out to them...

Like one of my fave scenarios.  It is possible to win EVERY GP, and not finish in the Top 8 at the end of the season!!!

Steve

Or be world champ without ever making a semi final!

The lowest points total for a rostrum place was 10.  Fundin finished third on 10 in 1962, and Handberg did the same 30 years later.

Three interesting stats about the Handberg case.

1) He finished third on 10, WITHOUT needing a runoff.
2) Both Handberg and runner-up Jonsson were unplaced in one ride.  I haven't checked, but that sounds unique.
3) Expanding on the above point, Havvy was the ONLY rider who DIDN'T record a zero in the meeting!

Steve

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Or be world champ without ever making a semi final!

Do you think people like us have too much time on our hands??? :cheers:

Steve

• Haha 1

Just now, chunky said:

The lowest points total for a rostrum place was 10.  Fundin finished third on 10 in 1962, and Handberg did the same 30 years later.

Three interesting stats about the Handberg case.

1) He finished third on 10, WITHOUT needing a runoff.
2) Both Handberg and runner-up Jonsson were unplaced in one ride.  I haven't checked, but that sounds unique.
3) Expanding on the above point, Havvy was the ONLY rider who DIDN'T record a zero in the meeting!

Steve

Went to that one. It was a strangely chaotic affair. The weather was torrential at one point..there were hailstones like golf balls! We came away thinking Per Jonsson was the real class act, but he had just been caught out by a freak storm.

9 hours ago, moxey63 said:

OK, Einstein, we've already sussed that.

But I must also add that although I don't sit and watch the speedway on whichever channel it's on, it is usually on in the background, so I am more in tune with someone who doesn't care. I also have the Speedway Star every week so at least I still care somewhat

So, here's a question for all you would-be promoters looking to attract extra fans.

Why do you tell people who don't have the same opinion as you to just go away? Isn't that why the terraces are so sparse and tracks will fold at an alarming rate over the next 10 years.

Telling people who have 40-odd years' watching the sport to go away, their views don't count, we know best, is why, in part, we are where we are...  I'm an idiot, I still have one toe of interest in there. Thousands took your advice, and there's a thread elsewhere asking why speedway is in such a state and its approaching yet another winter of crisis talks.

And still you continue with your utter nonsense.

Let's face the facts here.

You attended the sport as a freeloader. The moment you were asked to pay like everyone else you stopped going.  That's the reality, it's been established and confirmed on here multiple times in the past by those in the know.

Now you don't even watch, 'it's on in the background'.. usually whilst you are posting on here.. makes you even stranger of an individual.

Finally, nobody is telling you to go away because you 'have a different opinion'. It is because you are talking utter garbage, making statements that pertinently aren't true, have it PROVEN to you that they aren't true yet you still come out with them.. usually garnering a few likes from similar stubborn/stupid/ignorant (delete as applicable although all three may well be applicable) who also can't accept the fact that they are wrong. Possibly because it means you've spent 30+ years of your life not realising the obvious.

Finally, there is no need to tell you to go away, you've gone away, a LONG time ago, for reasons that have nothing to do with the state of the sport and have stated multiple times you have no intention to return regardless of the state of the sport.

You are a completely irrelevant entity whose mere existence on forums such as this only serves to damage the sport further.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

And still you continue with your utter nonsense.

Let's face the facts here.

You attended the sport as a freeloader. The moment you were asked to pay like everyone else you stopped going.  That's the reality, it's been established and confirmed on here multiple times in the past by those in the know.

Now you don't even watch, 'it's on in the background'.. usually whilst you are posting on here.. makes you even stranger of an individual.

Finally, nobody is telling you to go away because you 'have a different opinion'. It is because you are talking utter garbage, making statements that pertinently aren't true, have it PROVEN to you that they aren't true yet you still come out with them.. usually garnering a few likes from similar stubborn/stupid/ignorant (delete as applicable although all three may well be applicable) who also can't accept the fact that they are wrong. Possibly because it means you've spent 30+ years of your life not realising the obvious.

Finally, there is no need to tell you to go away, you've gone away, a LONG time ago, for reasons that have nothing to do with the state of the sport and have stated multiple times you have no intention to return regardless of the state of the sport.

You are a completely irrelevant entity whose mere existence on forums such as this only serves to damage the sport further.

Yup.

At the end of the day, you are defending a sport that has as much chance of survival as the Titanic. But if that makes you feel better. You have a lot of time to waste.

And as for being a freeloader. Who in their right mind would pay for something if they didn't have to? I, sir, am not daft. I saved a bomb. Eighteen years...

What are you like - I am only damaging the sport further by posting on here, eh? What have I said to damage the sport? Yet, in another wild statement, you say  I am a completely irrelevant entity? Are my posts damaging the sport or am I irrelevant?   

Edited by moxey63