British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

12 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Well, he does seem to be wearing one in the photos, which is odd as the rest of the team are wearing race jackets.

But, surely, even if he got a race suit made that is showing real loyalty to his team - not a lack of it.

Here we go again. It was within days of Rye House closing, his team, and what respect did this show to their fans? He had the suit made, I assume, because he may have just been relieved in getting another gig and didn't have to quit, as he was fearing because his other team - is it Glasgow - wasn't enough to pay the bills. And that is what I mean about the sport being built on sand. Yet we ask why supporters don't roll up in droves to what we once termed a team sport. 

As well as his beaming smile celebrating on the cover of this week's SS with his title-winning team mates of Poole, Chris Harris could make it a double-bubble next week after having helped Somerset win the Cup last night. Explain that one to a friend you're trying to try speedway.

At least with the GPs they aren't pretending they're not doing it for self-intent.

Edited by moxey63

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Can you tell me who the "characters" were back in the good old days? And what made them characters for you?

Is 1970 far enough back for 'the good old days'???

This was when the now famous COMETS arrived on the scene......and the fans first ever hero must have been Bob 'bluey' Valentine...just a small guy in black leathers who wowed the 3,000 regulars each Friday...not great gater, which made watching his daring his passes all the better......sadly he only appeared that one season - and I'm convinced many folk drifted away from Workington speedway in 1971 onwards because of that............

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

Brilliant :rofl:

Ales Dryml 7 though?!?

Although he didn't win a race, so he did come 14th. (The only rider apart from the meeting winner who didn't win a heat).

Edited by Grachan

46 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

It's amusing your constant suggestion that the GP series is fixed or that certain riders are working in collusion.

Of course, loving the sport in a period where such collusion was rampant, riders were taking bungs to throw races and it all resulted in a nation media scandal which was the beginning of the slippery slope for the sport in the UK one can understand that.

And of course a final where over half the field had nothing to race for at the half way mark.

Or qualifiers where when you reached the last 4 heats riders had nothing to race for...

Off the top of my head I can think of 81 overseas final, 82 overseas final, 82 ic final, 84 ic final, 91(?) overseas final (Sam letting Hancock pass). Plus the Collins brothers team riding in the 82 overseas final.

And tgese are not the incidents with money changing hands, just "favoyrs" for compatriots 

Whereas in the gp series I can only think of the hancock/holder case, where Hancock got rightly excludes, neutralizing the impact of his action. 

5 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Although he didn't win a race, so he did come 14th. (The only rider apart from the meeting winner who didn't win a heat).

Swap Dryml and Hancock in ht6 And all 15 except the winner have a heat win.

• Like 2

Just now, waiheke1 said:

And of course a final where over half the field had nothing to race for at the half way mark.

Or qualifiers where when you reached the last 4 heats riders had nothing to race for...

Off the top of my head I can think of 81 overseas final, 82 overseas final, 82 ic final, 84 ic final, 91(?) overseas final (Sam letting Hancock pass). Plus the Collins brothers team riding in the 82 overseas final. 

And tgese are not the incidents with money changing hands, just "favoyrs" for compatriots 

Whereas in the gp series I can only think of the hancock/holder case, where Hancock got rightly excludes, neutralizing the impact of his action. 

Did you include the one when Ole Olsen waved all the Danes through on the last lap because he could no longer qualify? Was that the 84 Inter Continental?

4 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Did you include the one when Ole Olsen waved all the Danes through on the last lap because he could no longer qualify? Was that the 84 Inter Continental?

1982 Intercontinental. Didn't compare with the Crump and Pedersen one though when they were obviously trying to manufacture the result of a World Cup race so as one country could use the Joker and the other country wanted to finish in a position so they couldn't. It was like Strictly Come Dancing in 60 seconds.  Just as embarrassing though.

Edited by moxey63

14 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

You know, it is possible for Woffy to win on 9 without winning a heat...

Swap Woffy and Vaculik in ht3. Madsen and ward in ht6. Pedersen and puk in ht8

I never realised the system was that flawed, that was an education 

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

1982 Intercontinental. Didn't compare with the Crump and Pedersen one though when they were obviously trying to manufacture the result of a World Cup race so as one country could use the Joker and the other country wanted to finish in a position so they couldn't. It was like Strictly Come Dancing in 60 seconds.  Just as embarrassing though.

The amazing thing about that Joker incident was that they didn't scrap it straight afterwards. I never liked the double points thing, but in the World Cup final it was particularly annoying.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Here we go again. It was within days of Rye House closing, his team, and what respect did this show to their fans? He had the suit made, I assume, because he may have just been relieved in getting another gig and didn't have to quit, as he was fearing because his other team - is it Glasgow - wasn't enough to pay the bills. And that is what I mean about the sport being built on sand. Yet we ask why supporters don't roll up in droves to what we once termed a team sport. 

As well as his beaming smile celebrating on the cover of this week's SS with his title-winning team mates of Poole, Chris Harris could make it a double-bubble next week after having helped Somerset win the Cup last night. Explain that one to a friend you're trying to try speedway.

At least with the GPs they aren't pretending they're not doing it for self-intent.

So a rider must sit on his backside when he is out of a job, is that your point?

As for him guesting in the Cup Final, that's happened multiple times even in the 'good old days' so hardly a relevant point between then and now.

One thing that is apparent, fans were a hell of a lot more gullible in the past. Many still are, hence believing because a league had a lot of 10pt riders they were all World Title Contenders.

Oh and by the way, I don't disagree it was more fun in the past, more people there, better atmosphere, EVERYTHING seems better.

Of course, you stopped attending a long time before any of the major problems of recent times began so they're just being used a cover for you not getting in free anymore... Boy, it's a long time to hold a grudge!

Edited by BWitcher

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Rye House still owe Harris for 9 meetings, a five figure sum. Loyalty - works both ways. It was great to see him smiling.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

That was the 82ic final. And actually he waved for Gundersen to pull over to let Bo Petersen through

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MARK246 said:

I never realised the system was that flawed, that was an education 

Tbh i dont see it as a flaw. Its about getting the most points, regardless of how you do it  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Tbh i dont see it as a flaw. Its about getting the most points, regardless of how you do it  

All the years I was a mechanic, we worked on a minimum 10pts with a win. Only ever needed 9 to win, oops!!!