British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

Merely going on titles to judge who's best is pathetic. Are you telling me Jerzy Szczakiel was actually Poland's best before Mr Gollob robbed us of that opinion? Sometimes it's better to look at a wider angle, like domestic form also. The name that keeps popping up in my mind, for example, is Leigh Adams. He barely failed in domestic speedway and yet took yonks to win his first GP meeting, at a time there were many more quality riders than there are today.  Do you recall why we all said Woffinden chose to be British when he could have chosen Australia at the start of his career - it was because, and many said it, he'd have had no chance of getting in the Aussie squad. The competition was harder 10 years back. 

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

But I still insist Woffinden is not the best British rider of all time.

As we have said, riders like Craven and Collins have some kind of claim, but you don't even think he is in the top 20 British riders, do you? That is what is laughable.

Steve

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Scott Nicholls - most British titles.:t:  I mean, we are going on titles, aren't we?

Of course, British Champion is a much greater achievement than World Champion...

Steve

Edited by chunky

14 minutes ago, chunky said:

As we have said, riders like Craven and Collins have some kind of claim, but you don't even think he is in the top 20 British riders, do you? That is what is laughable.

Steve

When did I say that, about him not being in the top 20 British riders? You find it laughable, but I didn't say it. That's what I mean, words put into mouths and people think it's the truth. Course he'd be in the top 20... even the top 10.

On 10/19/2018 at 4:44 PM, Aces51 said:

There have always been stories of points being bought. There are dishonest people in every wallk of life, fortunately a small minority and it would be naive to think that speedway is any different or that the situation today is any different than it was in years gone by.

I hope I'm not being naive but I really don't want to believe that is true, I think what is nearer the truth is that some riders in their inability to accept defeat claim they have been beaten in fixed races

17 minutes ago, chunky said:

Of course, British Champion is a much greater achievement than World Champion...

Steve

It is in the Nicholls' household.

6 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

It is in the Nicholls' household.

I would suggest Mr Nicholls would say otherwise.

26 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I would suggest Mr Nicholls would say otherwise.

You would.

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

When did I say that, about him not being in the top 20 British riders? You find it laughable, but I didn't say it. That's what I mean, words put into mouths and people think it's the truth. Course he'd be in the top 20... even the top 10.

I'm so sorry; that was somebody else.

Many apologies...

Steve

36 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

You would.

Are you now trying to claim Scott Nicholls would rather be 'British Champion' than 'World Champion'? Seriously?

I'd bet Scott Nicholls would say that Tai Woffinden is a better rider than he was at his peak.

Of the names mentioned that I have seen ride I can only think of Peter Collins and Michael Lee having any claim to be better (never saw Peter craven or those who came before him so can't offer a sensible opinion). Peter Collins had fantastic skills and was very exciting to watch, like Tai his gating was inconsistent but I would say Tai is a little better. He could pass anywhere on the track, generally on the outside but where I think Tai shades it is in his ability to produce the big ride when the pressure is really on.

Michael Lee had a huge natural talent to ride a bike fast, quite probably more natural talent than Tai. However with his work ethic at the time of his peak he would not have stood a chance in todays Speedway where a fitness regime is such an important part of being truly world class.

I apologise if I've taken this thread off at a tangent and made it about Tai Woffinden.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

You would.

I think you should consider yourself very lucky anyone at all is still interacting with you. I'm sure you are a lovely guy in the real world, but - I say this as a fellow Belle Vue fan - you have conducted yourself like a complete twerp on this thread.

Can't believe this thread is still going, then again, looking upwards, I can.

If there is one area of agreement, it is that you cannot compare eras. Different riders, different tracks, different times. But what we can say unequivocally is that Tai Woffinden is achieving more in his era than any other Brit has managed in theirs. There have been some red herrings dropped in over it being a weak era or the silly notion that there are team orders or even attacks on Tai personally - all smack of desperation in this argument.

As much as I am biased towards the 80s,  from today's era, I see some real talent racing to their optimum ability and the best facing the best with great regularity. I think it's safe to say he's past his best now, but he's a three-time World Champion and yet Nicki Pedersen has been visibly busting a gut just to keep up at times.

I've said it above, but I'll repeat it nonetheless, Tai Woffinden truly has the lot - he is a complete rider. If he were a Top Trumps Card, he'd be scoring high on everything - starting ability, overtaking ability, professionalism/dedication, ability under pressure. And if you are not enjoying his success now, well, I think you are going to have to suck it up for a while yet. Unlike his British predecessors Loram, Havelock, Lee, Collins, he has real longevity at the very top level. I'd be shocked if he didn't won one or a few more World Championships.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I know that... idiot. Perhaps you're the third one, that was placed into care.

Do you ? ..you said  I was like the dim one in Bevis and Butthead ..both are as dim as each other ..only one idiot here and it's you .try to get something right for a change

• Like 1

It's impossible to compare riders of different eras and the number of titles won is no more than a guide because it all depends on the quality of the opposition at the time and various other factors.

My favourite rider and the one I believe to be the best ever British rider is Peter Craven but I can't prove that to be true and nobody can disprove it.

For those not privileged to have seen the other PC, Peter Collins, at his best, just watch and enjoy heats 3 and 7 of this video of the 1976 world final.

I've never seen Tai race like that but Tai may have longevity on his side. We can better judge him when he retires.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, falcace said:

I think you should consider yourself very lucky anyone at all is still interacting with you. I'm sure you are a lovely guy in the real world, but - I say this as a fellow Belle Vue fan - you have conducted yourself like a complete twerp on this thread.

Can't believe this thread is still going, then again, looking upwards, I can.

If there is one area of agreement, it is that you cannot compare eras. Different riders, different tracks, different times. But what we can say unequivocally is that Tai Woffinden is achieving more in his era than any other Brit has managed in theirs. There have been some red herrings dropped in over it being a weak era or the silly notion that there are team orders or even attacks on Tai personally - all smack of desperation in this argument.

As much as I am biased towards the 80s,  from today's era, I see some real talent racing to their optimum ability and the best facing the best with great regularity. I think it's safe to say he's past his best now, but he's a three-time World Champion and yet Nicki Pedersen has been visibly busting a gut just to keep up at times.

I've said it above, but I'll repeat it nonetheless, Tai Woffinden truly has the lot - he is a complete rider. If he were a Top Trumps Card, he'd be scoring high on everything - starting ability, overtaking ability, professionalism/dedication, ability under pressure. And if you are not enjoying his success now, well, I think you are going to have to suck it up for a while yet. Unlike his British predecessors Loram, Havelock, Lee, Collins, he has real longevity at the very top level. I'd be shocked if he didn't won one or a few more World Championships.

Please, let's forget the attacks on me. I know I shouldn't rise to the bait. I think I've been called a freeloader,  accused of saying things I haven't said...

Club loyalties apart, although for a long time I have been more of a general speedway follower than of one particular club, I agree that you agree with me about comparing different eras. Tai is the best of this era. Each era last 10-15 years. Where opinions come into it, and I have had it up to here with not being able to have an opinion, titles alone don't persuade me that Tai is any better than what's come before.  And, again, I have to reiterate, I am not attacking him as a person.

Each era's riders can only be compared with the standard they were up against. My belief is that the current era isn't upto the standard of previous ones. Yet by saying this, I am being smeared by all corners. I know the current era is more professional than ones before, riders are fitter etc, but why would that make them any better than other eras?

It can't be proved, of course, and only history will be able to tell how good a rider Tai really is. With a bit of luck on his side, for example, Peter Collins could have won at least three titles on the trot. On the other hand, Mark Loram didn't win a single GP and yet was crowned champion. Michael Lee, had he not been sidetracked by things away from the sport, would have also won at least another title.

I acted like a "twerp" because people on here started sidetracking from the argument. My opinion was ridiculed because I don't watch current speedway, I was a freeloader anyway, and I have said things in the past that I really didn't say.

I agree, Tai will probably take another title or two. But what is wrong with me saying it is a weak period we're going through? Riders we thought would conquer for years have for various reasons fallen by the wayside - Chris Holder, Darcy Ward, Emil Sayfutdnow, who's genuine hunger to be Grand Prix Champion saw him quit the competition and go off and ride in the European tournament instead. If Tai, as Hans Nielsen has said, does go on the break the record of titles, unless something changes within my mind, I won't personally regard him as the best ever. Look at the opposition Mauger had to restrict him to his six titles, Nielsen had Gundersen, Rickardsson had Crump and a few others. Compare it to the rivals Tai has had barking at his ankles. To me, they don't seem as hard.  

I base my opinion on Greg Hancock being able to claim two titles despite being in his forties - something no one has ever done in the past. He deserves credit. No doubt someone will harp on about there being more fitness in today's racing. But that means everyone has similar fitness and so a 40-odd-year-old shouldn't be twice a champion, 20 years after his first one.