British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

37 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Sam's comeback from the '89 injury was remarkable.

But maybe he wasn't as hungry enough to do it after the '93 smash, as he was already World Champion.

So there's maybe a parallel between him and Chris Holder, as one-time World Champions who lost their mojo after winning a single title. Gary Havelock could also be added to that list.

It takes someone truly remarkable to win three or four or five or six titles.  Very few years have had the mixture of determination and ability to do that.

I agree with much of what you're saying, but not sure it applies quite as much in Sam's case (although perhaps a little). He still came 3rd in the world again, won BLRC's etc, averaged 10+. He just wasn't quite the same, primarily I think because his riding style changed after the 93 smash. Also quite a bit older too, harder to recover the older you get.

3 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Had to laugh in this weeks "star" calling himself the greatest british rider, i have only been watching my fav sport for 50 yrs and could rattle off loads who i think are better anyone agree?

NO!!!

Three World Championships say it all for me. 

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Had to laugh in this weeks "star" calling himself the greatest british rider, i have only been watching my fav sport for 50 yrs and could rattle off loads who i think are better anyone agree?

No. Whatever you think (we all have our favourites), Tai is the most successful British Rider.

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Name any other triple British World Champions who you think are better.

2 hours ago, The White Knight said:

NO!!!

Three World Championships say it all for me. 

Three World Championships so far....  could be more by the time his career is over.

Of course he's the most successful British rider ever.

• Like 1

Successful yes but greatest British rider ~ no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gemini said:

Successful yes but greatest British rider ~ no.

But records will always so that he is, he is the only 3 time world champion. That's a fact. Any other form of measurement is pure opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I have also been watching the sport for 50 years and I think Woffinden is the best, as others have said it would be interesting to know who you think is better?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

I have also been watching the sport for 50 years and I think Woffinden is the best, as others have said it would be interesting to know who you think is better?

Peter collins chris morton , jessup , mike lee, i could go on it has never been easier to become world champion u get 10 go,s a season and u dont need to win a final  grand prix race to win the title, how would mr superstar have managed in a good old one night final.anyway dont need to bother with him now having won it 3 times he wont compete so someone else can have a go!

4 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Peter collins chris morton , jessup , mike lee

Woffinden has more world titles than those 4 combined.    So your statement is a bit of a nonsense.   

12 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Woffinden has more world titles than those 4 combined.    So your statement is a bit of a nonsense.   

Makes a good argument

30 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

No it aint i quoted tai saying he was the " greatest" british rider the fact he has 3 titles is nothing i just think others have been better 

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Peter collins chris morton , jessup , mike lee, i could go on it has never been easier to become world champion u get 10 go,s a season and u dont need to win a final  grand prix race to win the title, how would mr superstar have managed in a good old one night final.anyway dont need to bother with him now having won it 3 times he wont compete so someone else can have a go!

You ask how Tai would get on with a one night final - Given that he has won GPs and also topped the qualifier heats at GPs a number of times I would say he wouldve been just fine

Interesting you use this as a yardstick yet claim Morton and Jessup who dudnr manage one off wins as better..... 

:icon_smile_clown:

• Like 2