British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

Tai might be the best I see maybe 10 to 15 times a week on television a year, but personally that puts him behind Collins, Loram, Lee etc who many of us watched weekly in the flesh.

3 hours ago, rjsj9803 said:

Tai might be the best I see maybe 10 to 15 times a week on television a year, but personally that puts him behind Collins, Loram, Lee etc who many of us watched weekly in the flesh.

On entertainment value yes he is behind those

On success and greatness he is quite a way ahead of all 3

6 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Sigalos is the most interesting of the "What ifs" of the top riders ruled out during the 1980s, and perhaps the one who could have given Erik and Hans their hardest run for their money (although IMO they would have still been ahead - the signs are already there in '83).

Although not in 1984, because even had his ankle been OK after his American Final fall, Siggy was out of contention with just 4 points from 3 rides.

It is an interesting "What If"?

Playing Devil's Advocate, you could have made a similar argument against Gundersen or Nielsen had their careers ended as abruptly in 84. Nielsen had yet to really contend in a World Final in four attempts, Gundersen had missed out on qualifying in 82. Both had yet to reach the rostrum.

Whilst Sanders and Carter were also lost far too soon and they could have been contenders, I do think their best chances had passed them by. I can't say that for a 24 year old Sigalos. 

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, falcace said:

Playing Devil's Advocate, you could have made a similar argument against Gundersen or Nielsen had their careers ended as abruptly in 84. Nielsen had yet to really contend in a World Final in four attempts, Gundersen had missed out on qualifying in 82. Both had yet to reach the rostrum.

Whilst Sanders and Carter were also lost far too soon and they could have been contenders, I do think their best chances had passed them by. I can't say that for a 24 year old Sigalos. 

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday!  While speculation can be fun, people get so focused on the "what ifs?, which mean absolutely nothing.  History and fact is based on what DID happen, not what COULD have happened.  Sure :

1)What if Peter Craven, Kenny Carter, Billy Sanders, Tommy Jansson, and Erik Gundersen hadn't had their careers ended so abruptly?
2) What if Peter Collins, Sverre Harrfeldt, Ronnie Moore, and Torbjorn Harrysson hadn't suffered their serious injuries?
3) What if Dave Jessup (throw in Gundersen and Carter in 1981 too) had been able to keep his bikes going for five World Final races?

The answer to all of those is, "WE DON'T KNOW!  Itt is all conjecture.

Let's try to answer some of those, though...

Craven and Moore carry on through the 1960's - maybe Mauger wouldn't have been World Champion from 1968 to 1970.

Collins didn't break his leg in 1977, and Mauger would lose another title.

Let's look at some other "what ifs?", and far from me being flippant, change just one small historical fact, and it can throw the future into total chaos.

1) What if Edward Jancarz had come to England a few years earlier?
2) What if Bruce Penhall hadn't retired?
3) What if Freddie Williams hadn't ridden for Wembley?
4) What if Ronnie Moore hadn't quit speedway for a while in order to race on four wheels?
5) What if Ivan Mauger had broken his arm when he fell in the run-off against Szczakiel?
6) What if David Biles and David Tyler hadn't decided to walk out on speedway?  Could they have been World Champions?

Conjecture, and it is what it is...

Steve

• Like 3

Or what if every Final was held at Norden for 8 or 10 years ? :D

I agree, it is difficult to say Craven would have won even 1 more title. Were people thinking Jack Young must win another title at least at the time ?

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Or what if every Final was held at Norden for 8 or 10 years ? :D

I agree, it is difficult to say Craven would have won even 1 more title. Were people thinking Jack Young must win another title at least at the time ?

At least three world finals in the 80's and 90's were won by riders using 'big' engines, fortunately that sort of thing can't happen now. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Milankovitch said:

At least three world finals in the 80's and 90's were won by riders using 'big' engines, fortunately that sort of thing can't happen now. 

One insider told me Egon had a manipulated bike, but that it was something to do with the exhaust rather than engine. But can anything be proved ? Mostly rumours and they go right back to the 1930s

19 minutes ago, iris123 said:

One insider told me Egon had a manipulated bike, but that it was something to do with the exhaust rather than engine. But can anything be proved ? Mostly rumours and they go right back to the 1930s

I heard it from someone who was in that World Final, seems it was common knowledge in the pits. Another 'world champion' reeled off four straight wins, changed to his second bike for his last ride, ran a last on that, and guess which engine got tested afterwards. Yep, the one that ran the last...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I did go to that final and he absolutely romped it. I’ve no doubt he would have passed Nielsen should he needed in his final race too. Even now when you see it on YouTube, just watch the noticeable extra speed he has on the rest of the field. He’s leaving everyone for dead on the straights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falcace said:

I did go to that final and he absolutely romped it. I’ve no doubt he would have passed Nielsen should he needed in his final race too. Even now when you see it on YouTube, just watch the noticeable extra speed he has on the rest of the field. He’s leaving everyone for dead on the straights.

I was there too, and I really can't argue with your assessment. In 50-plus years of watching speedway, I've seen some dominant performances, but Muller beats the lot...

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, falcace said:

Good point.

Yes, both Sanders and Carter had peaked.  In the case of Carter, he peaked in 1982 at the age of 21. He could look quite ordinary by 1985. I remember him score just a point in an England v Denmark test match at Oxford.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Milankovitch said:

I heard it from someone who was in that World Final, seems it was common knowledge in the pits. Another 'world champion' reeled off four straight wins, changed to his second bike for his last ride, ran a last on that, and guess which engine got tested afterwards. Yep, the one that ran the last...:rolleyes:

Ah Bless.

You realise he flew out the gate in that race before losing concentration as his dream was already secured. It was actually his third bike on the night, also one of the engines that carried him to an 11+ average that season.

Seems someone is harboring a grudge :)

13 hours ago, chunky said:

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday!  While speculation can be fun, people get so focused on the "what ifs?, which mean absolutely nothing.  History and fact is based on what DID happen, not what COULD have happened.  Sure :

1)What if Peter Craven, Kenny Carter, Billy Sanders, Tommy Jansson, and Erik Gundersen hadn't had their careers ended so abruptly?
2) What if Peter Collins, Sverre Harrfeldt, Ronnie Moore, and Torbjorn Harrysson hadn't suffered their serious injuries?
3) What if Dave Jessup (throw in Gundersen and Carter in 1981 too) had been able to keep his bikes going for five World Final races?

The answer to all of those is, "WE DON'T KNOW!  Itt is all conjecture.

Let's try to answer some of those, though...

Craven and Moore carry on through the 1960's - maybe Mauger wouldn't have been World Champion from 1968 to 1970.

Collins didn't break his leg in 1977, and Mauger would lose another title.

Let's look at some other "what ifs?", and far from me being flippant, change just one small historical fact, and it can throw the future into total chaos.

1) What if Edward Jancarz had come to England a few years earlier?
2) What if Bruce Penhall hadn't retired?
3) What if Freddie Williams hadn't ridden for Wembley?
4) What if Ronnie Moore hadn't quit speedway for a while in order to race on four wheels?
5) What if Ivan Mauger had broken his arm when he fell in the run-off against Szczakiel?
6) What if David Biles and David Tyler hadn't decided to walk out on speedway?  Could they have been World Champions?

Conjecture, and it is what it is...

Steve

Yes crippling injuries suffered by riders down the years have always begged the question how good a particular rider could have been. Would Per Jonsson have won more titles? Would Arne Pander have been a major force if injuries hadn't held him back? are two that instantly come to mind and there are many other examples down the years.

Edited by steve roberts

Playing the "what if" game re: injuries and engine failures at crucial; times - Ove Fundin would have had at least seven world individual titles and be easily "the most successful ever".

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Playing the "what if" game re: injuries and engine failures at crucial; times - Ove Fundin would have had at least seven world individual titles and be easily "the most successful ever".

It's a false argument though really.

Once one incident/moment is changed, everything thereafter changes so there is no guarantee that he would have won the subsequent titles, likewise he may have won more.

It's the same in football when a team wins 2-0 and people say it should have been more, for example if a penalty was given early on.. if that penalty was given, the rest of the game as you saw it doesn't happen. Different events unfold.

Not having a pop at you, we all do it!

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2