British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

9 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

My case for Billy is as sound as yours was for Sigalos ( who i rated highly as well.)You said Sigalos until his untimely injury was ahead of Nielsen/ Gundersen really?? Sigalos was not really in the hunt in the 1982 final and at Norden he was bang average so my point is Sanders was at least on a par with him all ifs and but's i know.

Not true. I was playing Devil’s Advcocate and said you could make a case. Which you can. But if you’d pinned me down as to where I think Siggy was when his career suddenly ended, I’d have had him up there with Nielsen as arguably the best rider in the world, with Gundersen, Carter, Lee (problems aside) a gnat’s hair behind.

Sanders? He’d be in a group with the likes of Knudsen, Shawn Moran, Morton, Andersson, Crump, King, Shirra as world class riders, but not quite the creme de la creme.

Sanders was also 14 years into his British career when it came to a tragic end aged 29. Sigalos was 24 and just into his sixth year in the UK. So they were at very different stages of their careers. If - big IF - Sanders has gone on to be world champion, he would have been the oldest first time winner ever at that time, breaking Mauger’s record. Only to be subsequently beaten by Ermolenko and Gollob.

Anyway, we really are going round in circles now. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree :-)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chunky said:

Again, you claimed that I had stated - or at least implied - certain things, which I had not.  No, it is not a case of me not respecting what you say, but yes, I do get pissy when I am accused of saying something I clearly did not.

I also stand by my reaction to your comment about Lee needing Penhall around to motivate him.  Yes, that is a remarkably bizarre claim, and if that really is true, then Lee is not the rider I thought he was...

Steve

No,Steve if you have the Lee DVD there rivalry was outstanding lee beating Penhall from the back at Gothenburg  in 1980  and in a World Cup round  in 82 at Kings Lynn.

Edited by Sidney the robin

41 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

No,Steve if you have the Lee DVD there rivalry was outstanding lee beating Penhall from the back at Gothenverg in 1980  and in a World cup,round in 82 at Kings Lynn.

There was certainly a very strong mutual respect between Lee and Penhall...something that both riders have often cited. Bruce has stated that the one rider he feared the most on track was Michael because he knew even if he out gated him Michael would be trying all he knew to get by. Two great racers during the late seventies/early eighties.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, falcace said:

Not true. I was playing Devil’s Advcocate and said you could make a case. Which you can. But if you’d pinned me down as to where I think Siggy was when his career suddenly ended, I’d have had him up there with Nielsen as arguably the best rider in the world, with Gundersen, Carter, Lee (problems aside) a gnat’s hair behind.

Sanders? He’d be in a group with the likes of Knudsen, Shawn Moran, Morton, Andersson, Crump, King, Shirra as world class riders, but not quite the creme de la creme.

Sanders was also 14 years into his British career when it came to a tragic end aged 29. Sigalos was 24 and just into his sixth year in the UK. So they were at very different stages of their careers. If - big IF - Sanders has gone on to be world champion, he would have been the oldest first time winner ever at that time, breaking Mauger’s record. Only to be subsequently beaten by Ermolenko and Gollob.

Anyway, we really are going round in circles now. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree :-)

A really good post and the case you put is a pretty strong one actually Falcace you are one of the few people who really have recognised how good Sigalos was.

Best ever imo. His stats are through the roof. He knows everything about the Sport. You can tell that when you hear him speak. Before he quits riding i want to see him with the Aces. Will earn money from being involved in Speedway for many years to come. That could be in any number of roles. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Tai is IMHO the best ever Brit. but Ove Fundin remains my choice as the Best Ever Speedway Rider.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 7:11 AM, waytogo28 said:

Tai is IMHO the best ever Brit. but Ove Fundin remains my choice as the Best Ever Speedway Rider.

Got to disagree on best brit different era Peter Craven in my reckoning agree about Fundin though

• Like 1