Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

1 minute ago, moxey63 said:

I liked both, although BWitcher will be on in a minute and say I can't like both.

Ah shadappayaface!

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Sorry, but I think you're wrong in part. The topic is about Mr Woffinden being the best British rider, is it not. Now, as I have a forty-five year history of following the sport , never mind how much I like it nowadays, I think that gives me some knowledge and a right to reply.

Me too - and I can add 10 to your 45

I don't dislike Tai - having recently suffered a heart attack, I value life too much now to dislike anyone! - but I do think there have been better British riders than Tai, who don't have the same number of gold medals that he has, partly because they didn't possess equipment on a par with his

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Ah shadappayaface!

You gotta no respect!

Steve

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I don't dislike Tai - having recently suffered a heart attack, I value life too much now to dislike anyone! - but I do think there have been better British riders than Tai, who don't have the same number of gold medals that he has, partly because they didn't possess equipment on a par with his

Again, equipment isn't particularly relevant. All the top riders today have pretty much the same equipment, and as has been said, Zmarzlik has the fastest bikes.

Back in the day - whichever day you wish to talk about - the riders were all on similar equipment.

Steve

Edit: as far as the number of "gold medals", Tai doesn't have as many as others from past times, because he doesn't have the quality of partners/team-mates that others did...

Edited by chunky

You could use Emil as a good example.A very good rider and at one time his bikes seemed to have 20 or 30% more power than his rivals.The Sky commentators even mentioned it,questioned it,but he doesn't have a single title to his name.The Poles over the past decade have had brilliant equipment and make up striking amount of ground at times,yet?

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Sorry, but I think you're wrong in part. The topic is about Mr Woffinden being the best British rider, is it not. Now, as I have a forty-five year history of following the sport , never mind how much I like it nowadays, I think that gives me some knowledge and a right to reply.

Right to reply?

Given you have readily stated you don't watch the sport it gives you zero right to reply.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

I liked both, although BWitcher will be on in a minute and say I can't like both.

Why would I, I assume you listened to both.

Then again.

16 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Name them.

13 minutes ago, chunky said:

Again, equipment isn't particularly relevant. All the top riders today have pretty much the same equipment, and as has been said, Zmarzlik has the fastest bikes.

Back in the day - whichever day you wish to talk about - the riders were all on similar equipment.

Steve

Edit: as far as the number of "gold medals", Tai doesn't have as many as others from past times, because he doesn't have the quality of partners/team-mates that others did...

And he's not riding average journeymen for the most part in World Team Finals etc either.

Edited by BWitcher

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

You can't really compare how many titles a rider has to him being better than another rider. You have to look at it more broadly.

Tai is very good. But... and it's just my opinion, there isn't that much out there to beat. 

Of course titles mean nothing. Larry Ross was FAR better than Mauger, Briggs, or Moore. I played darts professionally for 25 years, and the fact that Phil Taylor won over 200 major titles - including 16 World Championships - doesn't prove that he was better than me...

Of course, back in the day, the world final fields were so much tougher. However did those World Champs beat riders like Josef Hofmeister, Per-Tage Svensson, Jerzy Trzeszkowski, Hans-Jurgen Fritz, and Petr Ondrasik... 

Steve

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Of course titles mean nothing. Larry Ross was FAR better than Mauger, Briggs, or Moore. I played darts professionally for 25 years, and the fact that Phil Taylor won over 200 major titles - including 16 World Championships - doesn't prove that he was better than me...

Of course, back in the day, the world final fields were so much tougher. However did those World Champs beat riders like Josef Hofmeister, Per-Tage Svensson, Jerzy Trzeszkowski, Hans-Jurgen Fritz, and Petr Ondrasik... 

Steve

They haven't got a single argument Steve.

Every single one they have tried to put forward is actually in favor of Woffinden's achievements. Every single one.

14 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

They haven't got a single argument Steve.

Oh, I know that; I just love using logic, reason, and fact to annoy people!!! :rofl:

Of course, I really am better than Phil, though...:t:

Steve

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

Oh, I know that; I just love using logic, reason, and fact to annoy people!!! :rofl:

Of course, I really am better than Phil, though...:t:

Steve

Using the weakest of riders in world final history doesn't mean the riders who won the meetings didn't deserve them. I mean, what about all the riders who didn't make the finals due to the lob-sided qualifying system back then? It was hard enough getting through the British Final and we had no Scott Nicholls able to take the title six or seven times, the line-up being that poor. As I said, I prefer to go on other aspects other than a rider pulling his all out in the top events. If it were a GP system in the 70s, imagine the top 16 riders in the field compared to now. I also raise the British League averages and the amount of 10-point men back then, but BWitcher would rather harp on about riders picking their own gates back then or team being full of journeymen.

Edited by moxey63

3 hours ago, moxey63 said:

But you don't have any knowledge of what is going on today as you don't watch it or follow it  ..so your opinion is worthless 

• Like 1