British Speedway Forum
Argos

Worrying Times at Redcar

Just seen in this weeks Speedway Star the Promoter at Redcar is finishing at the end of the season, Dose this mean the end?

Let’s hope not,  unfortunately the sport can’t continue to fool itself any longer that the crowd levels attending speedway can balance the books come the end of the season.

I don’t believe for a minute that Redcar are the only club who have a question mark as to whether they will run in 2019, and I hope that common ground is reached for all three leagues so that all clubs can continue, we need an affordable package but what that is nobody knows ,  I believe we have now arrived at reality for many clubs across the UK, for some maybe too late!

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Argos said:

Just seen in this weeks Speedway Star the Promoter at Redcar is finishing at the end of the season, Dose this mean the end?

Do you mean Kevin Keay? He is co-promoter. It does say on the Redcar supporters forum that people have been enquiring about season tickets for next year, there is no mention of closure.

What I don’t understand is I’ve visited both Redcar and Newcastle this season, The crowd at Redcar was much better than at Newcastle but yet Newcastle have confirmed they are running next season, but there must be a doubt at Redcar due to there Promoters quotes, 

4 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Do you mean Kevin Keay? He is co-promoter. It does say on the Redcar supporters forum that people have been enquiring about season tickets for next year, there is no mention of closure.

Yes it was Kevin, well let’s all hope is co-Promoter carries on, Is that CVS from Wolves 

1 minute ago, Argos said:

Yes it was Kevin, well let’s all hope is co-Promoter carries on, Is that CVS from Wolves 

Not sure these days.

I’ve been looking for my program from Redcar as it would say who the Promoters are, but can’t find it, was Glyn Taylor a Promotor there at one time 

From their website.....

Promoters: Kevin Keay and Jitendra Duffill
Directors: Eric Gladders, Chris Van Straaten, Brian Gladders

1 hour ago, Argos said:

What I don’t understand is I’ve visited both Redcar and Newcastle this season, The crowd at Redcar was much better than at Newcastle but yet Newcastle have confirmed they are running next season, but there must be a doubt at Redcar due to there Promoters quotes, 

Depends on what nights you visited both venues on. Generally Newcastle has the biggest gate, and Redcar has their biggest gate when Newcastle are the visitors. Redcar gates look up and the Newcastle promotion have said gates have held this year, but are actively looking for more support. Redcar of course has no large stadium rent like Newcastle has, and does not need the larger number of track workers due to a fixed air fence and no dog track to cover. Be a shame if another promoter can't be found, remembering Jitendra resigned ar Team manager during the year due to health problems, so that could rule him out from continuing or stepping back up.  Let's hope they do run as we both need each other.

NB. This was expected due to a post that Kevin put on his Facebook page late on Saturday night. He had a whisky bottle in front of him with a glass, saying now that his speedway and rugby is over it was time for pastures new. Thought it was the drink talking, and it was still there middle of the week.

Edited by Tsunami

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Depends on what nights you visited both venues on. Generally Newcastle has the biggest gate, and Redcar has their biggest gate when Newcastle are the visitors. Redcar gates look up and the Newcastle promotion have said gates have held this year, but are actively looking for more support. Redcar of course has no large stadium rent like Newcastle has, and does not need the larger number of track workers due to a fixed air fence and no dog track to cover. Be a shame if another promoter can't be found, remembering Jitendra resigned ar Team manager during the year due to health problems, so that could rule him out from continuing or stepping back up.  Let's hope they do run as we both need each other.

NB. This was expected due to a post that Kevin put on his Facebook page late on Saturday night. He had a whisky bottle in front of him with a glass, saying now that his speedway and rugby is over it was time for pastures new. Thought it was the drink talking, and it was still there middle of the week.

George said, at the Fans Forum thing at The South Gosforth CIU Club, that attendances had gone up slightly this season, compared to last season.  

I attended all Newcastle home meetings this season just gone and also Redcar when we were there and also when Peterborough were there towards the end of the season and I thought the attendances were similar at each track, but you can't really go off seeing the Redcar attendance so few times.

Let's hope (a) new promoter(s) can be found to keep Redcar going.

The problem is not with the crowd size as such,probably better than most.The Owners are not capable of being Promoters so they need someone to do that job and all it entails for nothing as Kevin has done very well for 2 years.I can’t see anyone else doing that,so really they need to sell the club.

Crowds were fairly steady most of the year - but Kev was quoted earlier in the year saying the only meeting that made any money was the Dirt Track meeting we held.

Sad to see Kev go - has made a real difference and gave a bit of a buzz back round the place. Looks like it means the end of the mascot Smoggy as well which would be a huge shame, she went down very well with the kids.

Hopefully there is a plan in place for the future, and I dare say Kev will still be seen helping out.

don't know why but i kind of wonder if Ged Rathbone would come in now, especially if Peterborough win the play-off .. possible thought could be no more to achieve at Peterborough and try with the local club 

27 minutes ago, stevehone said:

don't know why but i kind of wonder if Ged Rathbone would come in now, especially if Peterborough win the play-off .. possible thought could be no more to achieve at Peterborough and try with the local club 

But then that would put Peterborough in doubt as he isn't allowed to run two in the same league.