British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phillipsr

Wild Cards 2019

3 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Vaculik and Dudek name themselves, Madsen is probably the best rider not in it. Zagar? Does he have dirt on the FIM or something? Absolutely no hope of becoming world champion, the new AJ except not as good.

guess it helps Slovenian gp!

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Boring picks. Wouldn’t have given Zagar a place. Just makes up the numbers. Down to having a home GP.

Britain should have two.  Lambert might not have set it alight but he would have done better than Cook.

only cook qualified the proper way

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ColinMills said:

only cook qualified the proper way

Yes and No!! As he only finished 4th when only the top 3 went through from the qualifier. Was only when Dudek finished in last years top 8 did Cook gain his place 

• Like 1

Sad to see Nicki miss out, won't be the same without him. Glad that Zagar and Vaculik got in, but Matej's had 2 not so good years and really needs to step up next year.

• Like 1

Pedersen will be missed from a box office point of view - even though not always on the pace as before he still had people talking

At some point though you have to move on to the next generation and Id say the time is right to say thank you but goodbye to Nicki

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KEITH M said:

Yes and No!! As he only finished 4th when only the top 3 went through from the qualifier. Was only when Dudek finished in last years top 8 did Cook gain his place 

Which - in my book - is the proper way. He was one of the top three from the challenge not qualified via the GP. Not a wild card..

Steve

Not sure how Vaculik gets in ahead of Nicki tbh. Nicki also had injury problems but averaged close to a point per meeting more. Zagar comfortably higher than both.

But i guess with Madsen getting one it is at expense of Nicki.

Nicki and Lambert instead of Madsen and Vaculik would have been my preference, but could argue either way.

Be interesting to see how Holder bounces back. 

5 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Not sure how Vaculik gets in ahead of Nicki tbh. Nicki also had injury problems but averaged close to a point per meeting more. Zagar comfortably higher than both.

But i guess with Madsen getting one it is at expense of Nicki.

Nicki and Lambert instead of Madsen and Vaculik would have been my preference, but could argue either way.

Be interesting to see how Holder bounces back. 

SHOWED in his last ride that he can still do it. Hopefully, with a winter back in the saddle, a more settled domestic life, etc, etc, he might still haul his way back. Too many on here forget what a fantastic and entertaining rider he was in 2012. 

Yeah I hope a season out of gps does him good. Can't see him being world champ again but maybe challenging for top 3.

I reckon FIM have got the picks right. I would have had Pedersen in as he's box office but can't really argue with with the choices. 

I reckon Madsen might have been given the nod last year that he was getting a pick in 2019 thats why he didn't ride the challenge

14 minutes ago, James Carter said:

I reckon Madsen might have been given the nod last year that he was getting a pick in 2019 thats why he didn't ride the challenge

I thought that was covered, he decided to ride in the Best Pairs instead of the Danish GP qualifier.  There is no way he would have gotten 'the nod' previously, no one let alone the FIM/BSI would have known Iversen would have qualified.  Surely if the organisers thought they needed Danish participation had Iversen not qualified he'd have been the obvious choice.

No one could have predicted the season Madsen has had, he had to rely on a pick to enter the SEC and we all know injuries can occur at any time.

I do now wonder if Lindback & Madsen will pull out of the SEC having GP spots in 2019, like Laguta did last year.  If so, where does that leave the SEC.  If Sayfutdinov feels the same do Kildemand & Milik qualify as they finished 7th & 8th?

Edited by Col

slightly Disapointed would have had Lambert instead of Zager.Probably would have Niki before Zager ,he adds excitement ,Zager is like watching paint dry when not in the mood.

23 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Smektala would replace pawlicki and has probably won more medals than any other rider this year, i think he deserves it more than lambert although I would rather see lambert ,it is Pedersen or madsen not both , dudek is one , I think they will go with vaculic and Zagar but I hope for smektala and lambert, don’t think fricke will have a look in as except for another Aussie he not really on the radar ? He is great for bv but speaking to one of the deciders last night he doesn’t even watch the british league 

As we now know the picks they would have never given Smektala the replacement place for Pawlicki as too many Poles. 

Personally I think the picks are fine, likewise I’d rather have had Lambert in.

41 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

As we now know the picks they would have never given Smektala the replacement place for Pawlicki as too many Poles. 

Personally I think the picks are fine, likewise I’d rather have had Lambert in.

But it would of been the same amount of poles, he would of just replaced pawlicki,the fact is poland sells, in an ideal BSI world they would have 11 rounds in poland and have 16 poles 

3 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Yeah I hope a season out of gps does him good. Can't see him being world champ again but maybe challenging for top 3.

Nicki said he won't participate in the qualifier next year and he rejected BSI's offer to be GP's 1st reserve rider.

Looks like his GP career is over for good and he doesn't seem too fussed about it.

1015 heats, 336 heat wins, 64 finals, 17 wins, 3 world championships. Thanks Nicki, you'll be missed.

source: https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/781599/nicki-pedersen-zegna-sie-z-grand-prix-pogodzilem-sie-z-ta-decyzja

Edited by tarkens
  • Like 2