British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phillipsr

Wild Cards 2019

I think  Dudel "deserves"  a pick as he has been unlucky with his injury Vaculik possibly but had plenty of rounds to make it into top 8

Personally I would ditch the picks and make it top 6 back next year and everyone else must qualify

But then that would kill threads like this

Edited by sancho

5 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

But it would of been the same amount of poles, he would of just replaced pawlicki,the fact is poland sells, in an ideal BSI world they would have 11 rounds in poland and have 16 poles 

It would have been an extra Pole as Koledjei had qualified via Challenge, 4 in is 25%, 5 in would be too much at 31% of the field.

3/4 years ago a lot of people was saying the Pawlickis should be in the GPs.  Both have found it to tough. Too soon for them? I reckon at least one will be back in 4 or 5 years and doing ok.

Was surprised Nicki wasn't a wild card. Been interesting watching him, highly controversial, but a great racer.

4 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

It would have been an extra Pole as Koledjei had qualified via Challenge, 4 in is 25%, 5 in would be too much at 31% of the field.

3/4 years ago a lot of people was saying the Pawlickis should be in the GPs.  Both have found it to tough. Too soon for them? I reckon at least one will be back in 4 or 5 years and doing ok.

Was surprised Nicki wasn't a wild card. Been interesting watching him, highly controversial, but a great racer.

The Pawlicki's have been disappointing which shows how hard the GPs are.Difficult to find a solution that's suits all IMO .Nicki is box office but probably isn't atop 8 rider over the series these days.

1 minute ago, OveFundinFan said:

Oh yes sorry forgot about koledjei, I’m not convinced about the pawlicki’s they have their good meetings but also have some stinkers ,Phil Morris said it was a straight choice between Pedersen and Madsen, I like Pedersen and to a point I’d rather see him cause of the controversy he can attract however I don’t think he is a genuine title contender anymore and that’s where madsen comes in  ,if he rides likes he does in poland he wil be a threat 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col said:

I thought that was covered, he decided to ride in the Best Pairs instead of the Danish GP qualifier.  There is no way he would have gotten 'the nod' previously, no one let alone the FIM/BSI would have known Iversen would have qualified.  Surely if the organisers thought they needed Danish participation had Iversen not qualified he'd have been the obvious choice.

No one could have predicted the season Madsen has had, he had to rely on a pick to enter the SEC and we all know injuries can occur at any time.

I do now wonder if Lindback & Madsen will pull out of the SEC having GP spots in 2019, like Laguta did last year.  If so, where does that leave the SEC.  If Sayfutdinov feels the same do Kildemand & Milik qualify as they finished 7th & 8th?

Fair enough you seem to well up on it. I'm just glad he's in for 2019 I think he's a quality rider

If it was up to me I would drop the wild card system, including the "famous" no. 16. The top 8 would qualify as they do now, the European Champion and world U21 Champion would qualify and the top 6 from the GP Challenge. If any of the Challenge top 6 qualify via one of the other 3 routes we go down the list till we have 16 GP riders. All 16 GP riders from one season should enter the GP Challenge series to give them a second route in to the next year's series should they not finish top 16.

Just my opinion.

As I see it Madsen is a gater, just as Laguta is.    (look at Laguta in the final last Saturday, Tai gated him and that was it - Laguta didn't even pose one challenge).

I only going on what I see of him on tv ie SEC etc.  So whats the reality from those who get to see him in Poland/Sweden.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

If it was up to me I would drop the wild card system, including the "famous" no. 16. The top 8 would qualify as they do now, the European Champion and world U21 Champion would qualify and the top 6 from the GP Challenge. If any of the Challenge top 6 qualify via one of the other 3 routes we go down the list till we have 16 GP riders. All 16 GP riders from one season should enter the GP Challenge series to give them a second route in to the next year's series should they not finish top 16.

Just my opinion.

The issue is there has been some horrendous World U21 champions over the years, for every Emil and Ward there's a David Kujawa.

In response to CHR and JCookie - speedway is on a good run with under 21's world champ but it may not be always the case as JCookie has said. Fricke was unde 21 WC two years ago - he would have been struggled then to keep up with GP riders.

I like the fact someone in the GPs can get an injury which halts them ie Vaculik for next year and NP this year., but can possibly get a wild card. 

Still getting over the fact wont see NP in the GPs (probably) again.  If he has turned down 1st reserve for next year (as has been stated earlier post) then I can see his reason.  Standing in for an odd meeting here and there is doing him no good, but he is box office so the organisers are likely to benefit.

7 hours ago, tarkens said:

Nicki said he won't participate in the qualifier next year and he rejected BSI's offer to be GP's 1st reserve rider.

Looks like his GP career is over for good and he doesn't seem too fussed about it.

1015 heats, 336 heat wins, 64 finals, 17 wins, 3 world championships. Thanks Nicki, you'll be missed.

source: https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/781599/nicki-pedersen-zegna-sie-z-grand-prix-pogodzilem-sie-z-ta-decyzja

Thought he sounded very disappointed on FB yesterday,rather than not too fussed,but it did sound as if that was the end of his GP career

the reserve list looks very sensible to me. The oldest there must be Milik.  Hopefully non are needed, but if they are it would be good experience for Lambert and possibly Fricke.

Hopefully Lambert will be the home wild card for Cardiff, and he got to have a better meeting then 2018, cant possibly get any worse.  But there again Cookie could win the British final, or even Dan

6 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Just my opinion.

A few days ago, I did suggest an idea for an overhaul of the qualifying system.  Because of injuries affecting qualification for the following year, I would still like at least one.  However, I would like to see the GP Challenge AFTER the GP's have finished (maybe at the start of the following season, in order for riders to get over any injuries).  Perhaps the Challenge would include the riders who finished 9-12 in the previous year's GP's; kind of a repechage.  At least they would have a chance to qualify "by right".  

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

The oldest there must be Milik.

Michelsen is surely older than Milik.