British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phillipsr

Wild Cards 2019

Agree that does seem like a poor choice. As a poster has mentioned Brady Kurtz is a great example of a young rider who has really grown into top level racing in Poland and I think RL would be at about the same level.  Gleb Chugunov started to look good at the end of the year and obviously Smeketa, Drabik etc are well established. Hope RL doesnt get left behind

Think the series will be poorer without Nicki p love him or hate the guy puts bums on seats  ok he s had a disappointing season but I probably would have given one more year   

• Like 3

On 10/10/2018 at 10:11 AM, r8gdp said:

Think the series will be poorer without Nicki p love him or hate the guy puts bums on seats  ok he s had a disappointing season but I probably would have given one more year   

Only disappointing in the gps. In the leagues he has had an excellent season.

I struggle to see how Vaculik had a better claim...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Only disappointing in the gps. In the leagues he has had an excellent season.

I struggle to see how Vaculik had a better claim...

I think vaculik had a decent claim, won a gp and was injured for 2 rounds but not Zagar, Pedersen should of got in over Zagar and so should of lambert

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

6 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I think vaculik had a decent claim, won a gp and was injured for 2 rounds but not Zagar, Pedersen should of got in over Zagar and so should of lambert

Yet Zagar also missed a meeting and averaged more per meeting over the series - around a point more than Nicki and two more than Vaculik.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Yet Zagar also missed a meeting and averaged more per meeting over the series - around a point more than Nicki and two more than Vaculik.

True but Nicki rode with a broken hand in two meetings, maybe three, which shows you can prove anything with figures.     I'll miss Pedersen.

ME too but all good things come to en end and, frankly, not sure he was still 'putting bums on seats' ... not even in Denmark.

• Like 2

Now that Nicki has sadly departed the scene, the Monster clique will need somebody new to pick on.

My bet would be Freddie Lindgren, a hard rider who can dish it out and take it back in return, a bit like Nicki.

Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thischarmingman said:

Now that Nicki has sadly departed the scene, the Monster clique will need somebody new to pick on.

My bet would be Freddie Lindgren, a hard rider who can dish it out and take it back in return, a bit like Nicki.

Any other suggestions?

There is a vacancy in the monster clique

Why is Madsen in? Granted he's had a great season, but if he can't be bothered to do the qualifiers then he shouldn't get a pick.

Personally I think they should scrap the wild cards full stop. There is always a hint of favouritism in there. Instead if you are in the regular GP 15 then you don't do the qualifiers. Top 10 from GP at the end of season qualify for the following year. Next five go into the final GP challenge along with 11 who have got there through qualifiers. Top 5 from this meeting into next year GP. This meeting could be held at the end of the season or beginning of the next. The qualifiers could then be held on the same weekend as the GP's. If you are in the qualifiers and are called into GP then you automatically qualify for next round or your GP score counts if it's run as a series. If you are injured at the wrong time then tough, it's no different to any other sport. Try again next year. That way you might get somewhere near the top 15 riders, instead of top 12ish and four others whose face or nationality fits.

Who was the last Wild Card that was utterly useless and couldn't compete at GP level? Genuine question..

41 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Who was the last Wild Card that was utterly useless and couldn't compete at GP level? Genuine question..

Woffinden 2010 

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

Woffinden 2010 

Probably right. Turned out pretty good in the end tho!

15 hours ago, leander said:

Why is Madsen in? Granted he's had a great season, but if he can't be bothered to do the qualifiers then he shouldn't get a pick.

I think it was more to do with the Danish Speedway federation and him falling out........Not quite sure as to why though

Edited by tyler42

2 hours ago, tyler42 said:

I think it was more to do with the Danish Speedway federation and him falling out........Not quite sure as to why though

Madsen didn't do the Danish qualifying meeting and instead choose to ride in Speedway Best pairs.