British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phillipsr

Wild Cards 2019

10 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

But why ignore performances in GPs,Son,SEC and elitseren?

The Elitseren I could agree, they could be taken into account, but the GP's, Son and SEC are too selective to show true form 

11 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

The Elitseren I could agree, they could be taken into account, but the GP's, Son and SEC are too selective to show true form

In what way are those events "too selective". The GPs have 10 meetings where top riders are competing agsinst each other on a variety of tracks, and are arguably the true barometer of a rider's ability atvthe very top level.

Speedway is an individual sport as much as a team one, so excluding certain events makes very little sense imo.

When you look back on 2018 would you really argue Woffy was not as good as Nicki or Madsen? 

6 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

In what way are those events "too selective". The GPs have 10 meetings where top riders are competing agsinst each other on a variety of tracks, and are arguably the true barometer of a rider's ability atvthe very top level.

Speedway is an individual sport as much as a team one, so excluding certain events makes very little sense imo.

When you look back on 2018 would you really argue Woffy was not as good as Nicki or Madsen? 

The GPs do not contain the top riders though, that is the problem, the GPs only has the riders who BSI think will make them the most money.

Speedway is always individual, team racing is only 7 riders totals added together.

Woffinden beat the riders that were in the series, if the best 15 riders were in the series the outcome may have been different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MARK246 said:

The GPs do not contain the top riders though, that is the problem, the GPs only has the riders who BSI think will make them the most money.

Woffinden beat the riders that were in the series, if the best 15 riders were in the series the outcome may have been different.

Other than Madsen, which rider in 2018 who was not in the GPs, do you believe would have made the top 8 in GPs had they been included?

I got splinters in my fingers scratching my head thinking about it.

er, none

but could name a few that could put the cat among the pigeons every so often...… including Lambert

Edited by OveFundinFan

3 hours ago, MARK246 said:

Speedway is always individual, team racing is only 7 riders totals added together.

who that isnt in there is better? 

On 10/16/2018 at 5:25 AM, MARK246 said:

Didn't Woffy win his 2nd championship when Emil elected not to compete? I think it was the year that Emil won the SEC, I remember thinking at the time can Woffy really claim to be World Champion when a rider of Emil's quality and the form he was in was not in the competition... Then I thought yes he can

Edited by iainb

4 hours ago, MARK246 said:

WILD cards etc are selected by the FIM SGP group comprised of three members ... two of which are from the FIM. Of course they will confer with the BSI rep but can out vote him if necessary.

• Like 1

outvote their paymasters  yea right ,, haha

1 hour ago, Col said:

Other than Madsen, which rider in 2018 who was not in the GPs, do you believe would have made the top 8 in GPs had they been included?

Other than Greg Hancock the top 8 are in the 15 riders i listed. It is possible that if Hancock rode in the top league in Poland he would of been in the list.

So Madsen in and Hancock out, what the list does give is a greater strength in depth. Which imo would produce better, closer racing

But you are not answering the question asked.  Other than Madsen, which rider in 2018 who was not in the GPs, do you believe would have made the top 8 in GPs had they been included?

Using Ekstraliga statistics is not unreasonable, but Hancock is not included and there is the fact that Drabik and other young Poles figures are elevated by there reserve status.

Drabik is ranked 24th in Elitserien 2018 stats, Vaculik is 23rd.  Which puts them behind other riders who did not compete in 2018 Ekstraliga - Lambert (15th), Jonsson (18th), Ljung (21st), Thomsen (22nd).  Who is to say if those riders did compete in Ekstraliga they would not have achieved a higher average than Drabik, Vaculik. 

Kasprzak is who you listed also, is 37th in Elitserien rankings, albeit from a limited number of playoff only meetings.  I assume Sayfutdinov & Kołodziej didn't compete in Elitserien during 2018 as I can't find them in the stats.

22 minutes ago, Col said:

But you are not answering the question asked.  Other than Madsen, which rider in 2018 who was not in the GPs, do you believe would have made the top 8 in GPs had they been included?

Without personal bias, there are no riders who would make the top 8.

Edited by MARK246
Spelling

6 hours ago, MARK246 said:

Oh dear.  Hahaha

Had 5 mins to spare, SoN averages.

Woffinden 18 49 10.89
Hancock 6 16 10.67
Laguta 18 47 10.44
Doyle 18 43 9.56
Zagar 6 14 9.33
Milik 6 13 8.67
Jepsen Jensen 18 37 8.22
Lindgren 18 37 8.22
Huckenbeck 6 11 7.33
Janowski 12 22 7.33