British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phillipsr

Wild Cards 2019

41 minutes ago, Col said:

But you are not answering the question asked.  Other than Madsen, which rider in 2018 who was not in the GPs, do you believe would have made the top 8 in GPs had they been included?

I believe KK may have made the top 8, equally he could have gone through the whole series without scoring a point, that's what you get with KK. And I think Jarek Hampel may have done something, he's certainly got the experience and is still a world beater on his day, I'd like to think he has unfinished business in the GP's if he can put his mind to it

KK was rubbish in the SEC.

Hampel is imo the best rider not in the 18 or 19 gp series. If he wasn't polish  he would have had a great chance of a wild card last for this year and next year. 

12 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

KK was rubbish in the SEC.

KK is rubbish in a lot of stuff... But then he can put a season together from nowhere that bags him a world silver medal. That's possibly why the current qualification system doesn't suit a rider like him, he could have easily not qualified or got a wildcard for the series one year (10th) and then come 2nd in the world the next... And then rubbish again the year after (15th). He's the exception to the rule

Edited by iainb

53 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Noting that riders like Zagar and Milik have inflated averages due to riding only in the semis

And Hancock

I didn't think the SoN averages were particularly valuable, especially as they don't include bonus points but some were using them to justify a riders inclusion.  Had Poland used Zmarzlik rather than Dudek, they may have won.

I don't particularly like him as a rider nor do I think that he'll ever make a World Championship podium again, but Hampel was 2nd in the rankings in 2015 when he got injured after 3 GP's.  He finished higher in the SEC in 2018 than Sayfutdinov & Lindback.  Only being Polish has meant he hasn't got a permanent WC pick.

Edited by Col
  • Like 3

Just thinking about league averages... If they were used to determine world rankings, then from 1966-1973, Eric Boocock would have been the fourth best - at worst - rider in the world.

Well???

Steve

On 10/9/2018 at 5:22 PM, tarkens said:

Lublin offered him a contract, various types of contracts, all to convince him to stay in Lublin, but it looks like he'll be riding in Ostrow in Nice 1 Liga in 2019, as far as I know Kuba Kepa (Lublin's sporting director) is fed up with Robert saying no to everything and decided to move on, so there'll be no more talks between Motor and Lambert. I hope they will both have a change of heart, but at the moment it looks very very unlikely. Here's my post about it from a different topic on this forum:

my apologies, turns out they managed to find a common ground and Lambert will be racing in Ekstraliga in 2019, here's a confirmation:

On 16 October 2018 at 8:34 AM, Col said:

Other than Madsen, which rider in 2018 who was not in the GPs, do you believe would have made the top 8 in GPs had they been included?

Possibly Pedersen.

31 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Possibly Pedersen.

Nicki was in the 2018 GP's, but if you were referring to 2019 then I agree NP could have been top 8

16 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Nicki was in the 2018 GP's, but if you were referring to 2019 then I agree NP could have been top 8

Sorry,I was referring to 2019.

54 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

A threat to team monster ????

NP should be in the 2019 series its a joke not including him also I think Lambert should of got a pick. 

I know Lindback qualified on merit but he is so boring to watch 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, customhouseregular said:

If it was up to me I would drop the wild card system, including the "famous" no. 16. The top 8 would qualify as they do now, the European Champion and world U21 Champion would qualify and the top 6 from the GP Challenge. If any of the Challenge top 6 qualify via one of the other 3 routes we go down the list till we have 16 GP riders. All 16 GP riders from one season should enter the GP Challenge series to give them a second route in to the next year's series should they not finish top 16.

Just my opinion.

Surely having the European Champion qualify would be rather unfair on any Americans or Australians or any other non-Europeans? 

I don't see any reason to have a major overhaul of the current system, as pretty much the best riders are currently in the series.  Maybe there should be restriction where a maximum of 2 wildcards go to riders already in the series (unless there is a good case otherwise due to injuries).  That would help keep it fresh.

19 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Surely having the European Champion qualify would be rather unfair on any Americans or Australians or any other non-Europeans? 

I don't see any reason to have a major overhaul of the current system, as pretty much the best riders are currently in the series.  Maybe there should be restriction where a maximum of 2 wildcards go to riders already in the series (unless there is a good case otherwise due to injuries).  That would help keep it fresh.

The way things are with the Poles being so strong as a nation, it is best, as you say, to have the wildcards. There is the possibility of six Polish riders in the GPs using SEC and U21 champions