British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phillipsr

Wild Cards 2019

17 hours ago, RPNY said:

Who was the last Wild Card that was utterly useless and couldn't compete at GP level? Genuine question..

Harris?

On 10/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, RPNY said:

Who was the last Wild Card that was utterly useless and couldn't compete at GP level? Genuine question..

Holder got a WC for 2018 & was completely useless throughout.

9 hours ago, Col said:

Holder got a WC for 2018 & was completely useless throughout.

He may have been poor by his standards, but finished 12th and averaged close to 7pts a meeting which is hardly outclassed

12th above Pedersen, Vaculik & Cook? All the riders he finished above missed one or more GP's due to injury.

Gosh, I must have forgotten Pawlicki.

6 hours ago, Col said:

12th above Pedersen, Vaculik & Cook? All the riders he finished above missed one or more GP's due to injury.

Ahead of Pawlicki and Cook, same points per meeting as Vaculik. 

6.5 points per meeting is hardly useless at that level. 

On 10/12/2018 at 2:33 PM, leander said:

Why is Madsen in? Granted he's had a great season, but if he can't be bothered to do the qualifiers then he shouldn't get a pick.

Personally I think they should scrap the wild cards full stop. There is always a hint of favouritism in there. Instead if you are in the regular GP 15 then you don't do the qualifiers. Top 10 from GP at the end of season qualify for the following year. Next five go into the final GP challenge along with 11 who have got there through qualifiers. Top 5 from this meeting into next year GP. This meeting could be held at the end of the season or beginning of the next. The qualifiers could then be held on the same weekend as the GP's. If you are in the qualifiers and are called into GP then you automatically qualify for next round or your GP score counts if it's run as a series. If you are injured at the wrong time then tough, it's no different to any other sport. Try again next year. That way you might get somewhere near the top 15 riders, instead of top 12ish and four others whose face or nationality fits.

The GP series cannot be a closed shop Madsen for me had to come in fresh blood is needed.I for one will be very interested to see how he fares.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The GP series cannot be a closed shop Madsen for me had to come in fresh blood is needed.I for one will be very interested to see how he fares.

But it is a closed shop more or less. There are very small variations from year to year.

3 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

But it is a closed shop more or less. There are very small variations from year to year.

PROBABLY because there is a paucity of riders who can cut the mustard at that level. And it is only going to get worse in the immediate future as some in the older brigade start to fade.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

39 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PROBABLY because there is a paucity of riders who can cut the mustard at that level. And it is only going to get worse in the immediate future as some in the older brigade start to fade.

The problem is not with the quality of the riders but the logistics of riding at that level throughout a season. Biggest part of riding GP's is not the racing but the support team you need, it's why the top ten is so stagnant, they have the infrastructure to maintain their places.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Other than Hancock, the two oldest riders in the 2019 campaign are probably (without checked DOB's) two who qualified - Iversen & Kołodziej.  After that I'm guessing Zagar, Lindgren, Doyle & the other qualified rider, Lindback.

4 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

Agree and that can't be good.

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Agree and that can't be good.

Why ?     If you have the best 15 why change.     7 riders have to finish outside the top 8 but it doesn't mean putting others riders in there place will improve the series.    Each year only 1 or maybe 2 will not be good enough.  This season Pawlicki and Cook had seasons they would rather forget so they deserve to be replaced.     Pedersen has been dropped but he won a GP showing he was still quick enough..