British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

When Huggy did the track, I always thought the racing was excellent. It usually seemed to be on the grippy side, which visiting riders weren't always too keen on. Since Buster has been doing the track, I have never felt its been the same. I don't know if that's down to a different type of shale, or differences in todays  modern bikes, but what ever the reason I don't think the racing has been as exciting as in times past. Maybe its my rose tinted specs, but "from the gate" racing is poor entertainment as far as I'm concerned, and has been a major factor in my loss of interest in the sport over the last few years.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Iversen will be 37 next season. The expectations of the invincible Iversen in British Speedway are over. Still class at times but duff meetings are to be expected. Iversen in 2019 will do well to maintain his current average of 7.36 imo.

I agree with that assessment. Not all riders are capable of going on & on at the top level as Greg Hancock has done ( who years ago re-structured his riding schedule ) and perhaps Niels needs to consider doing this quite seriously. His injury has dogged him this year, of that there is no doubt but now with the GPs and Poland , Sweden, Denmark - is England just too much? Only he will know. The Denmark fixed night debacle this year cannot be repeated in 2019 surely? It seemed to be a little-known hurdle which burst into a major fixture problem.

51 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Surely if one rider ie Lambert can race on the track,and his races are exciting when he misses the gate,every rider should in theory be able to do the same.

Danny you say it doesn't matter if the track is slick or grippy,how would you suggest do the track then to make better racing.I wouldn't have a clue to be honest with not ever having to prepare a track for speedway racing before:rolleyes:

I think it comes down to skill, confidence, and the size of ones nads most of the time.

I know TJ likes it grippy, he says it's easier to set the bike up. There seems to be a fine line setting a bike up, you can of course change the gearing, changing the jetting, going a little bigger will flatten the power a tad, if your spinning to much, retarding the timing will do the same, going the other way will make it a bit sharper. If the tracks slick you can move the rear wheel forward for a little extra grip, or move the wheel back if its grippy. All of these can "overlap" a bit so it can be hard getting it spot on. Hence why you sometimes see teams struggle at the start of meetings.

Having said that, Lynn has been grippy for years and Neils has been great. Maybe at nearly 37 he is not prepared to risk it as much these days. He deffo don't look as confident as he used at the AFA .

Seem to remember that it was stated (several years ago) that the shale that Lynn used had run out or the quarry had closed and that another supply had to be found. 

3 hours ago, tellboy said:

Surely if one rider ie Lambert can race on the track,and his races are exciting when he misses the gate,every rider should in theory be able to do the same.

Danny you say it doesn't matter if the track is slick or grippy,how would you suggest do the track then to make better racing.I wouldn't have a clue to be honest with not ever having to prepare a track for speedway racing before:rolleyes:

First thing I'd do is try different material. The huge stones in the shale is fine for Stockcars as it protects the track but it's awful for Speedway.

38 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

Seem to remember that it was stated (several years ago) that the shale that Lynn used had run out or the quarry had closed and that another supply had to be found. 

Remember this too, but imo Buster should have 2 different suppliers. One for Stockcars and one for Speedway 

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

First thing I'd do is try different material. The huge stones in the shale is fine for Stockcars as it protects the track but it's awful for Speedway.

Remember this too, but imo Buster should have 2 different suppliers. One for Stockcars and one for Speedway 

I recall a few clubs including Somerset and Poole had problems with their track surface after having to get a new supplier.  There could have been a few Championship and NL clubs as well that had the same problems.

2 hours ago, Bunce said:

When Huggy did the track, I always thought the racing was excellent. It usually seemed to be on the grippy side, which visiting riders weren't always too keen on. Since Buster has been doing the track, I have never felt its been the same. I don't know if that's down to a different type of shale, or differences in todays  modern bikes, but what ever the reason I don't think the racing has been as exciting as in times past. Maybe its my rose tinted specs, but "from the gate" racing is poor entertainment as far as I'm concerned, and has been a major factor in my loss of interest in the sport over the last few years.

I think when Huggy done the track we had big home wins in the old PL.Not always great racing though because many teams were beat before they took to the track.Think the lesser riders so to speak weren't put off by a grippy track but more to do with the fence back then.That was a solid fence with no cushioning.

I find it very difficult to be precise about the track make-up as I know very little of making a track good or bad..... .  My only opinion relates to what I see when watching home meetings.   My reality of a grippy track is that it gives every rider the same conditions where can all find the ample traction.    This develops into a follow the leader scenario because all the riders, regardless of their position,   are all finding situation conditions...  

It the shale was more limited and the riders had to go hunting for better grip, my thinking is that the better riders would be more successful finding little bit extra,  needed to get by the rider in front....       I may be talking out my arse, but I have seen some truly wonderful meetings on a slick track    .:t:

Agree. Iv'e seen some good meetings on a slicker track too.

With a grippy track like Lynn, you need a strong motor and big nads. You can't ride it half hearted, you have to attack it.I f you hesitate and back off a little the bike is liable to straighten up or rear up and chuck you off the back. Lambo and Bomber spring to mind that both attack that type of track..

It wouldn't hurt to try a slicker track and spike it up a bit, more so from mid track to the outside, and give it a try.

I've even read from some BV fans that the NNS provides better racing when slicker... And that is what you call a top  track 

Edited by Bald Bloke

58 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Agree. Iv've seen some good meetings on a slicker track too.

With a grippy track like Lynn, you need a strong motor and big nads. You can't ride it half hearted, you have to attack it.I f you hesitate and back off a little the bike is liable to straighten up or rear up and chuck you off the back. Lambo and Bomber spring to mind that both attack that type of track..

It wouldn't hurt to try a slicker track and spike it up a bit, more so from mid track to the outside, and give it a try.

I've even read from some BV fans that the NNS provides better racing when slicker... And that is what you call a top  track 

The best meetings at Lynn in recent history have been when Buster leaves the track alone. Slick track and allow a build up of dirt on the outside. All to often he's grading the dirt back down to the inside. I still say though, a change in the shale for Speedway is an absolute must. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

The best meetings at Lynn in recent history have been when Buster leaves the track alone. Slick track and allow a build up of dirt on the outside. All to often he's grading the dirt back down to the inside. I still say though, a change in the shale for Speedway is an absolute must. 

When he leaves the track alone as you say "slick track" It's only slick later on,when Buster leaves in alone. Why not put a fair bit less shale on to start with, and spike from mid track to the fence. Spiking digs into the surface making it  a bit looser/ grippy, but with less dirt on to start with, it might give us an inbetween the two track types :t:

• Like 2

A couple of years ago when the World Cup was held at Belle Vue the race off on the Friday was pretty poor but this was when NKI broke the track record and all the winners times were around the 58 second mark but for Saturdays final the times were all 60 seconds plus and the racing was brilliant so does prove that meetings can be more exciting when tracks are more slicker.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, Clive Ward said:

A couple of years ago when the World Cup was held at Belle Vue the race off on the Friday was pretty poor but this was when NKI broke the track record and all the winners times were around the 58 second mark but for Saturdays final the times were all 60 seconds plus and the racing was brilliant so does prove that meetings can be more exciting when tracks are more slicker.

Yes, usually grip means fast if you attack it. If you don't it can mean slow. Some riders can't ride very grippy...Generally a little bit slicker track ( not like the M25)  but with a bit of dirt and spiked up a little makes for better racing as all can ride it, just sets ups need adjusting. But for some on very grippy tracks, they just can't ride it well whatever the set up.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 7:49 PM, Bald Bloke said:

Agree. Iv'e seen some good meetings on a slicker track too.

that's correct,recently for the first half of the meeting it tended to be follow the leader after lap1 turn 2, close fast racing but still follow the leader, the second half is when the track slickened off and came to the riders, then the riders produced excellent racing.

Richard Knight has posted that he is back with Kings Lynn speedway on the facebook but dose not say what kinda role but can only be good news for the club.