British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

ALL HAIL THE POSITIVES :D:D

BLOODY CAN'T BELIEVE anyone can be negative after last year, OK so we fell at the last stages but hell they tried even if injured and with riders who perhaps didn't give 100% like our own guys. 

ROLL ON THE 2019 SEASON!!! 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, g13webb said:

You look quite young,   a relatively a new supporter.   The negativity you talk of , is down totally to the promotions of the club.  The fans of the Kings Lynn Stars are the best in the country. Unlike other clubs, we have never ever won the main trophy, but these die hard fans always come back in the hope one day the miracle might happen.  I have spent a lifetime supporting the Stars and have been so disillusioned with the way the club communicates with us.    it comes across as we are the last consideration,  when  every avenue is exploited, to milk in as much profit as possible at the expense of those fans, who have given so much.   Often we are treated like mushrooms,   kept in the dark,   shown so much contempt and for what.   The meetings are drawn out to ensure we spend more in the bar, and matches are raced on a track not fit for the purpose,  and we are charges top dollar to watch processional follow the leader races.

From a group of 30 strong, each and everyone have since departed the sport.   Through my devilment and determination I am the last, thinking I'm here till the end,  but the antics, contempt  and rule bending of last years final to me was the final straw.   all the belief I once had  has all but gone.    and when that happens  you have to question your sanity 

I admire your naivety,  but as the saying goes,  ' You reap what you sow'  and that sure tells the story of Kings Lynn Speedway....

pretty disrespectful towards a lot of people on this forum that have been going to speedway all their lives, you're not alone, but you really don't realise how lucky you are to have had a chance to support the same team for so many years.  i'm from Wimbledon, grew up going to Plough Lane (football & speedway), my grandad worked at the stadium, so did my parents (they met there), and now look at it.

i've been involved riding at Canterbury, Reading, & Exeter, but you talk to supporters of those clubs you'll realise you're very lucky at Kings Lynn.

think of all the changes at the stadium, used to be a total rubbishepit, but i bet you have a more comfortable spot up in the stand now.

i bet you used to be negative about stuff even when you had Lee and Jessup as top riders but still lost, there just wasn't the internet to vent it.

chill out, support your team, get behind them, Kings Lynn are a top club again, this year showed that, embrace it man!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AlexBrady said:

Appreciate your comments, I don't believe age has anything to do with it but whilst we're on the topic - I'm 27 and have been watching Lynn most weeks since I was 6, so 2 decades worth i think qualifies me to comment.

Alongside being a Stars fan, I'm also a Norwich City fan who have also never, even won the 'main' trophy. Whats the difference between the two?

Communication I appreciate is not as good as other sports, but what do you want the Club to say? If they announce the team now in 1 hit, would we not have the same feeling you mention, because there would be nothing to talk about in January, February and Early March until the season begins?

Again, I may be wrong but I can't really say I've noticed a difference in the time a meeting takes to run from when I first understood times etc in early teens to now - and I travel now 138 mile round trip to watch the Stars, as opposed to around 90 when i first started going.

I was speaking to someone involved in Speedway yesterday and we were discussing how to improve the sport and he raised a great point. He said that if we asked 100 people how to 'solve' speedway, and he felt there would be 100 different answers, and that multiple answers would contradict others - so how DO you keep everyone happy? Simple answer is, you can't!

Prices on everything in every walk of life has gone up over the years, including my NCFC season ticket (Which has gone up by around 18% in the last 5 years) so I'm sorry, but I don't buy this argument that the prices have gone up by £1 or £2 as a reason why people don't go.

Not intended to ruffle feathers at all, but my view is that so many people are enjoying predicting the death of British Speedway, that when it inevitably happens, these same people can take joy in saying I told you so.

Firstly I'm sorry to have put a reference to your age, my impression, looking at your picture, I thought you be young twenties,  and in that case would have missed out when watching the sport many years ago, when unlike today, it was watched  by full houses and followed by millions.    But even then there was areas of discontentment but more portrayal then John Berry pointed out back in the 80's.....

My attitude has always been proactive and have followed the sport regardless of all the problems.  Some of the comments I read on here are insulting and foolhardy.  as I have devoted a lifetime of going to every meeting .    I must have spent  £1000's of pound following the exploits of the Stars.   Just because I voice an opinion different from their own isn't the crime of the century.  

I agree with what you say about different people having different ideas,   but Polish speedway is a proven schedule of what should be done .  Surely following their example should be our first step forward.    If we could replicate them and put on a professional show and good racing ,  most of those people you talk of would give it another go.   Running the same old  all the time does nobody any favours

NB;  If there were no adverse comments,  those in posted in favour would be pointless.    You need two sides to every debate...….  

31 minutes ago, g13webb said:

but Polish speedway is a proven schedule of what should be done .  Surely following their example should be our first step forward.    If we could replicate them and put on a professional show and good racing ,  most of those people you talk of would give it another go.   Running the same old  all the time does nobody any favours

what are Poland doing different to the UK, other than having government funded teams and purpose built stadia?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AlexBrady said:

Appreciate your comments, I don't believe age has anything to do with it but whilst we're on the topic - I'm 27 and have been watching Lynn most weeks since I was 6, so 2 decades worth i think qualifies me to comment.

Alongside being a Stars fan, I'm also a Norwich City fan who have also never, even won the 'main' trophy. Whats the difference between the two?

Communication I appreciate is not as good as other sports, but what do you want the Club to say? If they announce the team now in 1 hit, would we not have the same feeling you mention, because there would be nothing to talk about in January, February and Early March until the season begins?

Again, I may be wrong but I can't really say I've noticed a difference in the time a meeting takes to run from when I first understood times etc in early teens to now - and I travel now 138 mile round trip to watch the Stars, as opposed to around 90 when i first started going.

I was speaking to someone involved in Speedway yesterday and we were discussing how to improve the sport and he raised a great point. He said that if we asked 100 people how to 'solve' speedway, and he felt there would be 100 different answers, and that multiple answers would contradict others - so how DO you keep everyone happy? Simple answer is, you can't!

Prices on everything in every walk of life has gone up over the years, including my NCFC season ticket (Which has gone up by around 18% in the last 5 years) so I'm sorry, but I don't buy this argument that the prices have gone up by £1 or £2 as a reason why people don't go.

Not intended to ruffle feathers at all, but my view is that so many people are enjoying predicting the death of British Speedway, that when it inevitably happens, these same people can take joy in saying I told you so.

Alex Brady what a breath of fresh air you are.

All I can say is that is the Kings Lynn thread post of the year

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

what are Poland doing different to the UK, other than having government funded teams and purpose built stadia?

Polish speedway is the epitome of organisation.   every thing is run to a time table.  Four races is quick succession then an interval.   pop to the loo,    or dash to the shop, even enough time to quench you thirst.     At the same time the track is given a good going over.     Right on the dot the racing starts again.     Everybody knows the schedule, the Riders, the fans,   the referee, and the meeting flows so fluently.    I except the track are tailor made to suit the high powered bikes, but the shale they use generates exciting races...    No sooner is one race finished the riders are out for the next.  Of cause the spectacle is better, but that is because the way it is organised and not because of better riders...  The TV are at every meeting where they can advertise sponsors in every interval .    More sponsors, more money;   More TV goes out to encourage more fans.      

From your comment you obviously think they are very similar, but to me they are a million miles apart….        We sure have a lot to learn from them Poles...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Polish speedway is the epitome of organisation.   every thing is run to a time table.  Four races is quick succession then an interval.   pop to the loo,    or dash to the shop, even enough time to quench you thirst.     At the same time the track is given a good going over.     Right on the dot the racing starts again.     Everybody knows the schedule, the Riders, the fans,   the referee, and the meeting flows so fluently.    I except the track are tailor made to suit the high powered bikes, but the shale they use generates exciting races...    No sooner is one race finished the riders are out for the next.  Of cause the spectacle is better, but that is because the way it is organised and not because of better riders...  The TV are at every meeting where they can advertise sponsors in every interval .    More sponsors, more money;   More TV goes out to encourage more fans.      

From your comment you obviously think they are very similar, but to me they are a million miles apart….        We sure have a lot to learn from them Poles...

And of course they know that family friendly Sunday's is the time to offer the product for maximum potential ...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, g13webb said:

as BluPanther put, wouldn't it be nice to have a Sunday to be able to push the top league for that exposure, not a Monday or Thursday.

what do they do in Poland when there's a crash, don't they get held up? maybe they seem quicker because they have the 2 minute clock and know where they stand with it, and isn't that happening over here next year? 

tracks are PURPOSE BUILT as i said, which means they are ready for speedway, they don't have to rely on renting a stadium that is used for bangers or greyhounds, so other than everyone in the UK building their own track, what is your solution?

i think some people might be blinkered thinking that if the top riders in the world are riding then the racing will be better, when that definitely is not the case. 

basically, that "million miles apart" is down to them having purpose built tracks

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stevehone said:

Not to mention a nice big deal from a TV company so plenty of money to invest in their clubs ...... they have fans who are proud and love their clubs, good job given that plenty of money from any 'council tax' type payments they make goes to their clubs!  Can you imagine that happening in the UK!!  One day that will change in Poland 100%!

21 minutes ago, Trees said:

Not to mention a nice big deal from a TV company so plenty of money to invest in their clubs ...... they have fans who are proud and love their clubs, good job given that plenty of money from any 'council tax' type payments they make goes to their clubs!  Can you imagine that happening in the UK!!  One day that will change in Poland 100%!

there WILL be a big financial crash in Polish speedway, there are teams that struggle to pay riders now, give it time 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stevehone said:

,there WILL be a big financial crash in Polish speedway, there are teams that struggle to pay riders now, give it time 

Many posters have pillars my comments for negativity, yet You and 'Trees 'are doing exactly the same .   The positives from the way Poland run their meetings are many yet you go on about a expected financial  crash,   We all know the riders are holding the sport to ransom and are paid too much,  but that shouldn't distract anything away from the professional show they put on..   The performance would be just as impressive if they were to use similar riders as we do in the UK.  

I wonder if they used the TV money to balance the books, or do they use it to promote the sport .     

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

Many posters have pillars my comments for negativity, yet You and 'Trees 'are doing exactly the same .   The positives from the way Poland run their meetings are many yet you go on about a expected financial  crash,   We all know the riders are holding the sport to ransom and are paid too much,  but that shouldn't distract anything away from the professional show they put on..   The performance would be just as impressive if they were to use similar riders as we do in the UK.  

I wonder if they used the TV money to balance the books, or do they use it to promote the sport .     

Balance the books almost certainly. The new TV contract for the Extraleague is for serious money !!!(N sport and Eleven sport) for 2019 /2021 is reportedly worth 60 Million ZL  as against 25 Million for the period 2016-18

7 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Balance the books almost certainly. The new TV contract for the Extraleague is for serious money !!!(N sport and Eleven sport) for 2019 /2021 is reportedly worth 60 Million ZL  as against 25 Million for the period 2016-18

No doubt the advertising spots in the programme more than makes up for the outlay.   Forward thinking is imperative when promoting a top entertainment.     You cant knock Polish speedway for holding all the aces...      Probably, when the UK ruled the world,  we should have been more proactive in keeping our lead,  instead of taking it for granted...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, g13webb said:

No doubt the advertising spots in the programme more than makes up for the outlay.   Forward thinking is imperative when promoting a top entertainment.     You cant knock Polish speedway for holding all the aces...      Probably, when the UK ruled the world,  we should have been more proactive in keeping our lead,  instead of taking it for granted...

And more promoters should have bought stadiums instead of wasting the money.

• Like 1