British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

3 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Mondays and Thursdays are the chosen race nights for the PL.

Thanks Tellboy. I don't keep up with all the goings on nowadays.

According to the Countdown clock on the Stars website its 408 days until the first home meeting!!!

That's quite a long time to wait!!

21 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Well reading Dale Allitt's comments in this week's Star it would appear NKI is still very much an option.

You’ve read it differently to me then, I couldn’t see any such suggestion.

3 hours ago, Haza said:

Can’t believe there is no Witches v Stars and Stars v Witches fixtures on Good Friday that for me was the one thing I thought for certain would happen- missed opportunity I think 

•  

Championship fixtures take priority on that day unfortunately. The joys of doubling up.

19 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Championship fixtures take priority on that day unfortunately. The joys of doubling up.

It's a shame, the Good Friday clashes between the Witches and the Stars were always very special back in the day, and always in front of big crowds...

• Like 2

But we can all nip over to Peterborough for the Easter Monday fixture .......

2 hours ago, BluPanther said:

It's a shame, the Good Friday clashes between the Witches and the Stars were always very special back in the day, and always in front of big crowds...

I remember at least once way back in the day, there were a couple of Bobbies hanging around the back straight at Lynn in case the packed crowd got a bit exited :blink:. Would of been late 70's maybe early 80's.

Edited by Bald Bloke

1 minute ago, Bald Bloke said:

I remember at least once way back in the day, there were a couple of Bobbies hanging around the back straight at Lynn in case the packed crowd got a bit exited :blink:. Would of been late 70's maybe.

I was there. It very nearly kicked off the time Kevin Jolly 'fell' and failed to clear the track in a last heat decider with Lynn on a 5-1. Of course the Tiger went on to win the re-run and secure a Witches victory .... Happy days :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BluPanther said:

I was there. It very nearly kicked off the time Kevin Jolly 'fell' and failed to clear the track in a last heat decider with Lynn on a 5-1. Of course the Tiger went on to win the re-run and secure a Witches victory .... Happy days :D

Blimey. Your memory is better than mine :t:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Star Lady said:

It will be interesting to see if live speedway on BT on Mondays has any effect on the crowd numbers. Presuming there is a clash of course.

Are Monday and Thursday now the UK days for speedway or is Lynn avoiding Wednesday due to the clash with Denmark?

The last thing  any speedway club would relish is trying to compete against live matches on the telly.    Not yet knowing the schedule of the TV meetings it would be a no brainer to try and run your home meetings when there are live matches screened on the Monday Night Match.....

When the numbers are the life line of many clubs,   this would have  disastrous consequences…..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BluPanther said:

Another one for you to think about. I think mid 90's, us lot on 2nd bend( nearest bar, Ippo lot between 1 and 2, nearer 2.Ippo fan head butts my mate, after said m8 got to close ? :blink::t:

Edited by Bald Bloke

25 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Another one for you to think about. I think mid 90's, us lot on 2nd bend( nearest bar, Ippo lot between 1 and 2, nearer 2.Ippo fan head butts my mate, after said m8 got to close ? :blink::t:

No idea about that one, sounds like a football fan came along for the day  :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

No idea about that one, sounds like a football fan came along for the day  :rolleyes:

:) Mates fault. Tense meeting

Was listening to BBC Radio 4 in the car (bit of culture there) and at 7:30ish after the main news there was a comedy programme and comedian Mark Steel was performing in King's Lynn.  He mentioned Queen drummer Roger Taylor was born there and joked various Queen songs were inspired by the town: "................of course We Are The Champions was written for the King's Lynn speedway team winning the league in 2006".  It wasn't of course but the comment got lots of cheers.  Just thought I'd add that....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BluPanther said:

If you were there, you will never forget that moment.

From a personal point of view, that's why I took even more delight from Eastie stuffing Mildy in the Nl Play Off Final and KO Cup. That, for me was payback, god knows how many years later.

• Haha 1