British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

You can still have 7 separate press pieces by having follow up stories about each rider 

That could help build a team identity and promote a growing sense of club identity

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BluPanther said:

So every other team is doing it wrong then.... :rofl:

Dunno as I don't follow their media exposure, maybe someone will do a survey...... 

I guess if Robin has enough fans tell him they dislike the way he announced the 2019 team he may do it differently next year...... he's approachable, do it.... 

48 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

He has not made much happen in two years plus has he.!!!

Helped to win two silver medals? Was only bad luck why we didn't win gold? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

He has not made much happen in two years plus has he.!!!

I don't agree with every thing Buster does. And I wont be impressed if the Panthers have a lot better team as his beloved Lynn this season. He seems to put his money where his mouth is though. No one else would take a big gamble trying to save the Prem by buying 2 clubs in this day an age, with speedway on it's ar@e.

I do think he want's to keep the Prem going. Why buy the 2 clubs otherwise. Neither are gold mines.. He is trying, but he does things his way, not to the liking of some many.

Some Panthers and Ippo fans are moaning about him, but if they put themselves in the Lynn's fans place, I would imagine being well miffed off. Lynn suffered when he took over as chairman, and will probably suffer even more in 2019.If the Stars team is as thought, it will struggle big time.Its looking like Lynn will suffer again this season in a bid to save the Prem.. We came close in 2018, and the talk that Lynn where trying to go one better this season seems to have gone out of the window since he bought the other 2. clubs.

We have only been waiting 50 odd years :(. Thing is I fear he is just putting off 1 big league for 1 more season only. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

We have only been waiting 50 odd years :(. Thing is I fear he is just putting off 1 big league for 1 more season only. 

Of course, he is only putting off the inevitable. I only hope that his own financial situation is not crushed by the ending when it comes. Unless he bought cheaply or recently won the lottery Buster's gamble on owning three clubs ( even if for the best of reasons ) may come back to bite him badly.

5 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Of course, he is only putting off the inevitable. I only hope that his own financial situation is not crushed by the ending when it comes. Unless he bought cheaply or recently won the lottery Buster's gamble on owning three clubs ( even if for the best of reasons ) may come back to bite him badly.

I thought at the end of the 2018 season everybody could of got there heads together and tried to move the sport forward.It was desperate times and any input surely would of helped Buster in the long run.I dont know many sports who dont take into  consideration of the paying customer but speedway still seems to be doing it.Look fair play to Buster for bailing the clubs out but he needs to start listening and bringing speedway to the attention of a new generation not just relying on the diehards of the sport.

Buster and the BSPA depend entirely on social media to do their marketing - believing that just being on facebook and twitter will reach millions of under 40's and get them flocking. But it doesn't work that way nor so easily. You only have to look at the numbers of followers or likes they have to see how many they are ( or are not reaching ).

55 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Buster and the BSPA depend entirely on social media to do their marketing - believing that just being on facebook and twitter will reach millions of under 40's and get them flocking. But it doesn't work that way nor so easily. You only have to look at the numbers of followers or likes they have to see how many they are ( or are not reaching ).

You cannot just rely on Facebook and Twitter to get your marketing across. 

a) you are by and large preaching to the converted

b) a Twitter post goes from a timeline in 20 minutes, in many cases; ie: there have been so many since you posted that yours is buried

c) Facebook algorithms are a mystery unto god and quite and how and why they serve content to Facebook users is impossible to know or predict.

d) Young people deserted Facebook in droves some years ago for other social media.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Genuine question GRW, and I say this without agenda or taking sides particularly other than being interested in everyone’s viewpoint, why are you so keen to know information which in theory doesn’t really need to be confirmed for a few weeks yet and isn’t really a secret anyway as it can be worked out through the process of elimination? Why do you think we should know three months before the season starts rather than being drip fed to keep the club in the news?

Genuinely interested and not saying you are right or wrong or having a go. 

I except your post as a genuine and will answer in the same way.    From a die hard speedway fan for more years I care to remember, we have always been brought up knowing the team has been announced before Christmas.  Many times we have specially arranged 'Supporter's Meeting' purely to hear these announced teams.  Usually we were among the first to know,  but that was when son Jonathon was on board and the connection with the fans was important.  Now the fans are forgotten and appear the last to know. 

Them days when were kept informed, we could take part in discussions,   we could make predictions,  we could have some banter with other fans,  we could make plans for the coming season,  in fact we could do all the things that other teams  and fans from their privilege position.    AS you so rightly say, most of us believe we know the team, but that only makes the situation regarding the club even worse.  Every way you look at it, projects a club that don't give a toss for its fans and are more concerned that media exposure benefits the club rather than be informative to their supporters..       The team, we all imagine we know,  is not good enough to drip feed to the media on an individual basis, the optimum would be to announce the riders as a proven squad,   more a result of the total sum is far more effective than each individuals.   

In my book, the connection with the fans is more important than the  fitness program the riders are going through.   WE saw last year,  when the riders showed their alertness making brilliant starts the Refs were constantly  putting the light on believing it be an  unsatisfactory start, making the program less beneficial.  The fan base is the bread and butter of any club,   but at Kings Lynn Speedway we are an inconvenience.

At a time when the sport needs all the help it can get,    you cant blame the fans for staying away when we are treated with so much contempt...    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The other point about the drip feed method ( which I detest in UK speedway ) is that the recently announced name of Ty Proctor ( for example ) means absolutely nothing to a non speedway fan wherever he or she reads it ( or stumbles across it ) because Proctor is unknown in the wider world within 50 miles of KL. As it will be for the rest of the team, who are known only to existing ( or past fans ). It is very, very unlikely to attract the longed-for new generation of supporters.

• Like 3

I assume the drip feed logic is attempting to keep the advertising budget ( a laugh in itself) low.

The thought process being if we are in the paper and on social media we don't need billboards, school visits, 2 for 1 type promotions to get fans through the turnstiles.

It doesn't work.

When Jonathan was around so was advertising/promotions etc and there were plenty of new faces on the terraces. Keeping them there is a whole different ball game which can't be solved by Lynn alone.

• Like 2

This drip feeding rider's isn't about media exposure for me. King's Lynn could be back page headline news in the Lynn News or EDP but if you're not interested in those sports do you read it? Of course you don't. 

In the same way I wouldn't read about local Basketball, hockey, rugby or motor racing driver's etc if they're back page.

To take notice you have to have a smidgen of interest. Let's be honest, if it's about keeping the club in the news in the hope it may entice the lost fans, well, these fans know that only Robert Lambert is of any real quality to watch, plus, they don't forget the reasons they knocked going to Speedway on the head in the first place.

This drip feeding nonsense does nothing to sell the sport in the area, all it does is allow those that don't have a clue about Speedway or the signed rider to skip past the article. 

To get the locals interested you need to sell the sport first, some random in a cheap polo shirt with the club emblem isn't selling anything to the public.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

This drip feeding rider's isn't about media exposure for me. King's Lynn could be back page headline news in the Lynn News or EDP but if you're not interested in those sports do you read it? Of course you don't. 

In the same way I wouldn't read about local Basketball, hockey, rugby or motor racing driver's etc if they're back page.

To take notice you have to have a smidgen of interest. Let's be honest, if it's about keeping the club in the news in the hope it may entice the lost fans, well, these fans know that only Robert Lambert is of any real quality to watch, plus, they don't forget the reasons they knocked going to Speedway on the head in the first place.

This drip feeding nonsense does nothing to sell the sport in the area, all it does is allow those that don't have a clue about Speedway or the signed rider to skip past the article. 

To get the locals interested you need to sell the sport first, some random in a cheap polo shirt with the club emblem isn't selling anything to the public.

Drip feeding riders is all about media, it’s about getting as much publicity as you can manage and drip feeding news and riders gets you a lot more coverage than releasing a team in one go.

• Like 1